Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Having "lived' in only the US, Canada and Germany, I don't even qualify to enter the foreign residence sweepstakes.
    Got me beat, England, Scotland and US.
    And, having lived in only OK, KS,TX, NM, VA and CO, I won't even make honorable mention in US states residence.
    Beat me again, CT, CA and WI.

Comment

Residency - Total of One - Southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada ...... all homes within about 50 miles of each other, maximum.
      Actually, other than my current residence, all within about a 10 mile radius
      of Victoria.
      Is that a record for a 63 year old?
      The longest period away from here --- about 6 weeks, but never in one location, so I miss out on the month living somewhere else rule...
      I'm still counting on the places visited - 50 + , but not much more than that. I lose out by having been in only 15 States, and never having been in South America, Africa, or the Middle East.

Comment

I've lived in England, the US, Hong Kong and Belgium. But only in California while here - Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Costa Mesa and now Palm Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
          Having "lived' in only the US, Canada and Germany, I don't even qualify to enter the foreign residence sweepstakes.
          Got me beat, England, Scotland and US.
          And, having lived in only OK, KS,TX, NM, VA and CO, I won't even make honorable mention in US states residence.
          Beat me again, CT, CA and WI.
          Since you cheat with separating England and Scotland, I will, too.

Slovakia, military service in Czech Republic, USA.

PA Pittsburgh) a few months, OH (Columbus) 1 year, AZ (Tucson) 3 years, central WI 36 years.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Lived in Montana- Big Timber, Missoula, ...California- Redding, San Fran, San Mateo,West Hollywood, Belmont, San Carlos, Woodside, Cupertino, Burlingame, San Bruno,Redwood City, Los Gatos and Connecticut- West Redding, New Milford.

Been in about 40 states and Hawaii- Plus-France, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria ,now im basically a homebody but strangely drawn to Victoria, Canada. :?
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              Been in about 40 states and Hawaii- Plus-France, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria ,now im basically a homebody but strangely drawn to Victoria, Canada. :?
              Uhhh....would it be nit-picking to point out that Hawaii is a US state?
              Victoria, BC is a delightful place... I go to Vancouver a lot. On one trip, for no reason, I sprung for the $60 ferry ride to Victoria. That big hotel on the harbor and the general ambiance of the place was worth the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                Uhhh....would it be nit-picking to point out that Hawaii is a US state?
                Victoria, BC is a delightful place... I go to Vancouver a lot. On one trip, for no reason, I sprung for the $60 ferry ride to Victoria. That big hotel on the harbor and the general ambiance of the place was worth the trip.
                Funny how life works ! That "big hotel" on the Inner Harbour in Victoria is the Empress Hotel, one of the magnificent big hotels that the Canadian Pacific Railroad built across Canada a century ago. And that is why I was lucky enough to have been born and lived my whole life here.
                When I my Dad was young, his first job was with the CPR, working at the Banff Springs Hotel. He worked for the CPR for several years, and was transferred to various Hotels in Canada, until finally being transferred to Victoria to work at the Empress Hotel in the late 1930's. When Dad and Mom arrived here, they knew they were home. It's a tough place to leave

Comment

Scuze, please.. I can't figure out how to delete the double post.

Comment

I had no reason to overninght at the Empress but I stayed at the Banff and Lake Louise CNR Hotels in 1968.. Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful blue-green lakes I have ever seen.. and coldest..

Comment

I got up to 96; 48 states + DC, most of the Canadian provinces, and most of Europe.

I kick myself for being at the northern most tip of Yellowstone and not driving the extra six miles north in the dead of night to get to Montana. That was 25 years ago this fall, and I have little reason to go there except for this very purpose.

Comment

I had no reason to overninght at the Empress but I stayed at the Banff and Lake Louise CNR Hotels in 1968.. Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful blue-green lakes I have ever seen.. and coldest..
                        Not meaning to hijack the thread. But I think it is cool, lonewolf, that you have stayed in those beautiful resorts, both of which my Dad worked at during the 1920's and 1930's. I hope that the plumbing and heating worked, as Dad was getting his "ticket" in those areas, at that time.
                        That gorgeous blue-green colour is typical of the lakes and streams up in the Rockies there, as the glacial melt seems to still be carrying lots of interesting colours down, from these fairly "new" mountains. And yes, cold, to be sure, even in the summer.
                        By the way, CPR, not CNR.....but that's a whole different story, for another time. Google up the great Railway Hotels of Canada, and there is a lot of fascinating stuff, if you are interested in history, geography, architecture, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Originally posted by jeremyp
                          places lived in (1 month or more)?: I've lived in England, N.Ireland, Switzerland, Egypt, India, USA, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Italy, France,
                          Germany, Spain, Bermuda, Iceland, Italy, Azores, England
                          USA: Connecticut, New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Washington, Oregon, Ohio. Hawai'i
                          Well if you're going to add inside country then I've lived( 1 mo+) in: Kansas, NY, NJ, Arizona, Utah, New Hampshire, California, Florida.

Comment

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, USA

Here's my list of places I have visited so far ranked in order of how much I enjoyed visiting the place, with the most enjoyable ones at the top and the least enjoyable at the bottom:

1. Kauai

2. Maui

3. Switzerland

4. Oahu

5. Germany

6. France

7. Italy

8. Bryce Canyon, Utah

9. Banff

10. Las vegas

11. New York

12. Cancun

13. Florida

14. Egypt

15. Israel

16. Washington D.C.

17. San Francisco

18. San Diego

19. Vancouver

20. Eugene

21. Phoenix

22. Tucson

I would say that I liked numbers 1 through 6 considerably better than Los Angeles, and that numbers 7 through 20 were all very nice places, but, not places I would prefer over Los Angeles, in terms of living there permanently. 21 and 22 are the only two places that I've been to so far that I just plain didn't like.

The place I am most badly wanting to visit next is Japan. I think I will like it very much over there. I love everything Japanese. I love Japanese women, Japanese food, Japanese culture, Japanese architecture, Japanese landscape/scenery, pretty much everything Japanese that I have been exposed to so far in the U.S. I have loved, so, I really really really wanna go over there ASAP to see what it's like in person.

Comment

Originally posted by The Atheist
                              So you're not Jamaican? :wink:

Originally posted by Pego
                              Cheat?? I'm just playing by their rules! It's not my fault they split up the UK into about ten different places. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                                Originally posted by The Atheist
                                So you're not Jamaican? :wink:

Originally posted by Pego
                                Cheat?? I'm just playing by their rules! It's not my fault they split up the UK into about ten different places. :P
                                They must be FIFA-based :wink: .
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X