Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Travelled People

I have a nominee.
    AT 1:10 PM, August 30, 1990, I met a sharp, white haired lady of a certain age working in the courthouse in Eagle River, MI (Kewanee County). She said that her father came from Finland in the 1880s to work the iron mines, she was born in Eagle River, had worked in the courthouse since 1936 and had never travelled outside Kewanee County in her lifetime! (she was not under oath but seemed to take pride in her unique celebrity. I suspect she may have deliberately not travelled to preserve her record and I believed her)
    Presumably , she considered her record safe and said she planned to venture abroad in the next week by attending a County Clerk conference in Houghton, MI (Houghton County), 23 miles south of Eagle River. Eagle River is only seven miles from the county line, which may be a tie breaker.
    Kewanee County Courthouse, BTW, constructed 1866, enlarged 1889, is the oldest contiunually operating courthouse in Michigan. My nominee remembers when it was updated and modernized to its present, well preserved configuration in 1924 but of course she "was just a girl then."

Never left her county - that old - in 1990 - in the land of mobility - USA. That IS amazing.

Comment

The story of colonization of the Upper Peninsula (Nation of the Uppers) is absolutely fascinating. The mixture of Finns, Poles and Italians have created an ethnic group of its own, with a dialect, culture, cuisine. I am sure, the courthouse lady educated lonewolf about some of it.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

They call themselves " Yoopers."

Comment

she was not under oath but seemed to take pride in her unique celebrity. I suspect she may have deliberately not travelled to preserve her record and I believed her

What stupid record are you talking about? Unique? Give me a break. This is up there with the folks who are proud they never read a book.

If someone doesn't want to travel and is happy with that, fine. But to think that is unique is really funny.

I taught in a school in Nepal where most of the town had never seen a light bulb. And yet a town an hour walk away had electricity.

I have met quite a few folks in England who had never left their county. They just never had a reason to go anywhere.

Comment

Is there anything we can do, to help you with your anger management issues, Conor? Why so angry? Bad day ?
            I found lw's story fascinating, and I'm sure others did as well. Please give us all a break from the "give me a break", and "stupid record" talk, and relax and chill out a bit, please...It's all just good discussion amongst mostly friendly people...

Comment

Hey Conor - relax. Michigan is not Nepal. It's an interesting story.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                [....
                I have met quite a few folks in England who had never left their county. They just never had a reason to go anywhere.
                A couple of years ago I was chatting with a guard at St. Paul's in London. He was probably 70. He asked what else we had seen while in town, and when I said we had just come from the Tower of London he said, "You know, I've always been meaning to go there."!

But then, I'm a mountains guy (been to Switzerland perhaps 15 times) and I've never been to Yosemite, which is a 3-hour drive from my house.

Comment

A couple of years ago I was chatting with a guard at St. Paul's in London. He was probably 70. He asked what else we had seen while in town, and when I said we had just come from the Tower of London he said, "You know, I've always been meaning to go there."!
                  Funny!! Isn't that funny?!
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by gh

But then, I'm a mountains guy (been to Switzerland perhaps 15 times) and I've never been to Yosemite, which is a 3-hour drive from my house.
                    I'm fortunate enough to have been to both the Swiss Alps and Yosemite. But your story does remind me of some Bay area relatives that I have who've never been to Alcatraz. When I returned to my cousin's house after visiting the island prison, she said, "you know, I've always wanted to go there." On the other hand, I'm sure there are similar places in New Orleans that I've never been to, that some of you folks have.

Comment

I personally know a number of people who've never left the state of Texas.

Of course, you can drive a long time and not leave the state of Texas.
                      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

LOL......

I know some people here in Chicago, who have never been downtown :shock:
                        Some who haven't even been out of their neighborhood's :shock: :shock:
                        on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                          Originally posted by TrackDaddy

LOL......

I know some people here in Chicago, who have never been downtown :shock:
                          Some who haven't even been out of their neighborhood's :shock: :shock:
                          Yeah I know one or two who've never left the county.

Do you think its fear?
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

That reminds me of what I think is a Stephen King story (?) where there's an old lady in New England who never left her island.

Amazing that that can happen in this day and age.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                              Is there anything we can do, to help you with your anger management issues, Conor? Why so angry? Bad day ?
                              I found lw's story fascinating, and I'm sure others did as well. Please give us all a break from the "give me a break", and "stupid record" talk, and relax and chill out a bit, please...It's all just good discussion amongst mostly friendly people...
                              I am tired of this ignorance is GREAT sort of idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X