Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

47 more passengers confined for 9 hours...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 more passengers confined for 9 hours...

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/52798827.html

I have this fantasy that if I were trapped on the runway in a commercial airliner only 50 yards from the terminal with no prospect of getting out for hours and hours, I would just go open one of the damn doors and liberate everyone. What would you do after the first 5 or 6 hours or so?

Re: 47 more passengers confined for 9 hours...

What about just letting the passengers sleep in the airport terminal? "That was not provided as an option by ground services personnel at the airport"
    Terrible management on behalf of the airport. This is a classic example of rules that are there to be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
      Terrible management on behalf of the airport. This is a classic example of rules that are there to be broken.
      Nope - the airport said they could have deplaned and stayed on the secure side of the screening area.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

After the first 5 or 6 hours???
        On one of those crappy tin can ExpressJets I would pop that sucker open after 2 hours and damn the consequences. Those planes suck.

Comment

This was the subject of an episode of LA Law.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            Nope - the airport said they could have deplaned and stayed on the secure side of the screening area.
            Hmm, maybe I misread the article? What were the planes crew thinking then? Plus, they too were trapped inside like sardines.

Comment

Hmm, maybe I misread the article? What were the planes crew thinking then? Plus, they too were trapped inside like sardines.

No, you read that article correct. Unfortunately it didn't present the airport side of things.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32361238/ns/travel-news/

Comment

Trapped

I thought the Passengers' Bill of Rights thingy precluded such situations?

Comment

Re: Trapped

Originally posted by bijanc
                  I thought the Passengers' Bill of Rights thingy precluded such situations?
                  No such thing yet. That legislation has never been enacted.

Comment

There is no airport side of things IMO. I'm claustrophobic anyhow, so I'd be kicking the windshield out and escaping that way. Whatever it took.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                      There is no airport side of things IMO. I'm claustrophobic anyhow, so I'd be kicking the windshield out and escaping that way. Whatever it took.
                      I was thinking...the only safe, non-arrestable way to do it is to fake passing out, chest pain, difficulty breathing or something similar that would cause the pilot to pull into the terminal and call an EMT crew.

Comment

How are they keeping people in, if they really want out? Tasers? Sidearms of some sort?

My kids are older now, but this situation with the very young or the very old would be intolerable.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                          How are they keeping people in, if they really want out? Tasers? Sidearms of some sort?

The repercussions.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia_re ... m#9-63.110

Comment

Well then, I like the "fake a heart attack" idea.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                            X