Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when you sneeze, how many times do you sneeze?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWiz
    replied
    Waaaaaaait a minute! I know this will probably get me banned, but I'm going to call it what it is. Ya'll are on SEDs (sneeze enhancing drugs). It's not humanly possible to have a PR of 13....WTF?!? I'm a double sneezer and on the rare occasion maybe 3....but 8 and 13. I'm calling BS on that. You guys are dirty. :evil:

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    I once read that "God Bless You" in response to a sneeze dated from the Black Plague era in Europe when a sneeze might have been an omen of imminent death and concerned people wanted to invoke a devine blessing for the sneezer. That's as good a story as any, I suppose.
    "Gesundheit", originally German, is a wish for good health, usually after a sneeze, and is used in many countries.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    I once read that "God Bless You" in response to a sneeze dated from the Black Plague era in Europe when a sneeze might have been an omen of imminent death and concerned people wanted to invoke a devine blessing for the sneezer. That's as good a story as any, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Helen S
    I do question the invariable "god bless you" when someone sneezes. My understanding is that this is a leftover from the belief that demons of some sort would take that brief opportunity to enter your body, and by saying the magic incantation, one might avoid that calamity.
    Do all cultures still do this, or only in the US? Why is it not done for coughs also?
    I've only ever heard "bless you (not God bless you)."

And yes, other cultures say some form of it, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• skyin' brian
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    Always twice - I'm a double sneezer
    Always? Don't you ever have an "off night?"

The most prolific sneezer I have known was my high shcool wrestling coach who would always be in the double-digits. He would often get close to twenty sneezes. They weren't very loud though.

I usually go once, but I'll sometimes sneeze fairly often in a short time, just not close enough together for me to consider it double.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Usually seven. And almost always an odd number, which is what I find more intriguing. It must be how I'm wired, because when I knock on a door it's always with an odd number of knocks.

Leave a comment:

• Helen S
    replied
    I do question the invariable "god bless you" when someone sneezes. My understanding is that this is a leftover from the belief that demons of some sort would take that brief opportunity to enter your body, and by saying the magic incantation, one might avoid that calamity.
    Do all cultures still do this, or only in the US? Why is it not done for coughs also?

Leave a comment:

• Track Family
    replied
    I sneeze once and very loud :shock: Unfortunately I don't have one of those cute girly girl sneezes :lol: The best I can do is cover my mouth and say excuse me 8-)

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    I am happy to announce that I enjoy multiple sneezes, and with great gusto. There are few things worse than being in a meeting or public gathering, and have to try and stifle a really good sneeze. So unsatisfying.

Leave a comment:

• TrakFan
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I have read in several places, no lie, that we enjoy sneezing as it has similarity to another quite personal sensation..." the big O."
    Oprah??

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    What was snuff all about?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Am I alone in actually enjoying an occasional, not- too- violent or persistent sneeze?
    I have read in several places, no lie, that we enjoy sneezing as it has similarity to another quite personal sensation..." the big O."
    I have heard that too but I would never confuse the two sensations.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Am I alone in actually enjoying an occasional, not- too- violent or persistent sneeze?

Leave a comment:

• TrakFan
    replied
    You're not alone. If you watch most individuals that are on the verge of a sneeze that has been somewhat delayed...their eyelids sorta flutter, their eyes will slightly roll upwards, and they'll normally stop all movements in anticipation of that sneeze. There aren't many things in life that will cause that type of reaction :wink:

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    I don't enjoy sneezing because it is either an allergy attack (more in spring but can happen almost anytime) with multiple annoying sneezes or it means I am getting a cold. I can tell the difference...no itching eyes with the cold sneezing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X