Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dream Chaser - Al Joyner & Flo Jo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dream Chaser - Al Joyner & Flo Jo

    Interesting article about Al Joyner discussing his life with and without Flo Jo.

    I have mixed feelings about the article mainly because she retired suddenly and died far too soon. I didn`t realize her daughter Mary has taken up sprinting. Maybe a name to look out for.


    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... 0826/flojo

  • #2
    Re: Dream Chaser - Al Joyner & Flo Jo

    Great article. Mary, their daughter, looks a little like JJK.

    Comment


    • #3
      FloJo WR alledgedly 0,0m/s wind

      FloJo 10,49s
      Diane Williams 10,86s (+0,37s)
      Gail Devers 10,97s

      An other race (+1,2m/s) gives a better overall picture:

      FloJo 10,61s (did also a 10,60s W+3,2m/s)
      Ashford 10,81s (+0,20s) (did 'only" a 10,91s W+5,0m/s)
      Gwen Torrence 10,91s (did also a 10,78s W+5,0m/s)
      Sheila Echols 11,00s (did also a 10,83s W+3,9m/s)
      Alice Brown 11,04s (did also a 10,88s W+3,9m/s

      All from ATWL of P. Larsson

      But complete results of cause are in T&FN's archives.

      Comment


      • #4
        deleted

        Comment


        • #5
          I too had mixed feelings about the article. As a relationship story, I was saddened by what happened. 38 yrs is much too young to die. From a performance/athletic perspective, strangely enough, I started to rethink FloJo's performances (10.49 aside). I know, I know...I won't rehash the obvious but there is part of me that wants to believe. Maybe this has more to do with Bolt and the seismic sprint paradigm shift he has ushered in . Did FloJo do the same? Were we simply not ready to believe?

          Anyway, an interesting story nonetheless. I totally forgot that Al shocked the world with his win.

          Comment


          • #6
            I enjoyed the article because it provided some insight into their lives OUTSIDE of track. If some individuals could get past their personal problem(s) with Flo-Jo, they could enjoy the article for what it’s worth...a glimpse into the lives of several individuals.

            Heck, I may not like a certain politician - .but I would still find it interesting to read about his courtship, relationship with his children, how he may have death with tragedy, and any other info beyond what I may have already known or assumed

            Comment


            • #7
              Interesting human interest outside of the track IMO. Great to see how young Mary has grown up to be a well-round'd person in spite of the fact of having two Olympic parents.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TrakFan
                I enjoyed the article because it provided some insight into their lives OUTSIDE of track. If some individuals could get past their personal problem(s) with Flo-Jo, they could enjoy the article for what it’s worth...a glimpse into the lives of several individuals.

                Heck, I may not like a certain politician - .but I would still find it interesting to read about his courtship, relationship with his children, how he may have death with tragedy, and any other info beyond what I may have already known or assumed
                The ironic thing is these same people are drooling over other folks who have similiar progressions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I can't remember much about it, but was there not a lawsuit filed by Flo-Jo's family against Al, alleging some culpability/negligence in her death ? If so, how did that all turn out ? Interesting that it was not mentioned in the article.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    I can't remember much about it, but was there not a lawsuit filed by Flo-Jo's family against Al, alleging some culpability/negligence in her death ? If so, how did that all turn out ? Interesting that it was not mentioned in the article.
                    There are a LA times articles here: http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/al-joyner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So how did it all ever turn out ? Was the mother in law just a nut case looking for MONEY ? Did any money ever change hands ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I enjoyed the article very much.... for the reason that some above did...an in depth look into Al and Flo-jo's off the track & field lives.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by guruof track
                          Originally posted by TrakFan
                          I enjoyed the article because it provided some insight into their lives OUTSIDE of track. If some individuals could get past their personal problem(s) with Flo-Jo, they could enjoy the article for what it’s worth...a glimpse into the lives of several individuals.

                          Heck, I may not like a certain politician - .but I would still find it interesting to read about his courtship, relationship with his children, how he may have death with tragedy, and any other info beyond what I may have already known or assumed
                          The ironic thing is these same people are drooling over other folks who have similiar progressions.
                          Guru, you sure know how to say something over and over without saying anything. My only point is Flo Jo's "progression" was quite sudden and steep at an age where most couldn't see happening without a lot of help. In the case of the other "folks", I believe youth and very little international history in the event makes it a lot more plausible me thinks.

                          All the same, I enjoyed the read and learned a little more about two lives I new little about.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lexvid
                            Guru, you sure know how to say something over and over without saying anything. My only point is Flo Jo's "progression" was quite sudden and steep at an age where most couldn't see happening without a lot of help. In the case of the other "folks", I believe youth and very little international history in the event makes it a lot more plausible me thinks.

                            All the same, I enjoyed the read and learned a little more about two lives I new little about.
                            Glad that you chose to entertain me. But what 'youth with little international history' are you referring to?

                            Just because YOU can't see it happening without help doesn't mean it can't be done. Hell, she proved it! My point is people make a CONSCIOUS decision in what they choose to believe is 'aided' and 'not aided'. Which your above post proves.

                            Why not take the performances and test as legit? Or atleast be consistent if you don't. Thats all I'm saying...........without say anything. :wink:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Guruoftrack, there are others here on the board that noted the electronic wind gauge wasn't right (off, mal-functioned, operator error, whatever, etc.) when 10.49 was posted, so I still believe 10.49 was wind-aided - along with 10.54. That's my speculation.

                              However, there still is that 10.61 out there and i believe that is more plausible and should be the current WR.

                              Now that 21.34 still takes my breath away and is more impressive than 10.61. I'm betting this current crop of female sprinters will not get within 0.3 seconds of this time anytime soon....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X