• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Avante
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by Avante
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by Avante
    What are the motivating factors involved in fixing (as far as who plays) the SEC Championship game?

Making sure the winner plays in the BCS championship game.
    I seriously doubt there is anything going on but bad calls by bad officials which goes on at every level of play. To think there is some conspiracy.......hahahaha~!~!~!
    SF Chronicle's college football writer has been beating on that drum for about a month now.
    NCAA Division I is just too big for anyone (group) to think they could pull off some conspiracy. If we were talking Rinkydinky U, Smallsville St, Mount Mini.......maybe. With TV exposure and every game disected resurrected then torn down again.....nay! Too many eyes and ears on the game at the Division I level. Nobody is dumb enought to chance it. Referres being told to do this or that so one team can.......that ain't happening!
    I agree with Avante. Bad officiating, yes. Conspiracy, no.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• Lots of interest in Saturdays TCU-Utah game in town. Mayor has declared tomorrow "wear purple" day. Game is sold out (they have a hard time attracting big crowds). I am certainly cheering for TCU to win out. Might be fun to see a Cincinatti vs TCU bowl game if they were to both win out.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2
        Might be fun to see a Cincinnati vs TCU bowl game if they were to both win out.
        If Cincinnati wins out(and there's no major upsets ahead of them) they're almost certain to finish #3 BCS, and land in the Sugar Bowl against the Florida/Alabama loser.
        https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

• Originally posted by Avante
          NCAA Division I is just too big for anyone (group) to think they could pull off some conspiracy. If we were talking Rinkydinky U, Smallsville St, Mount Mini.......maybe. With TV exposure and every game disected resurrected then torn down again.....nay! Too many eyes and ears on the game at the Division I level. Nobody is dumb enought to chance it. Referres being told to do this or that so one team can.......that ain't happening!
          Between conferences I agree; in-conference (which is all the SEC complaining) I'm not quite so certain. And as laid out by some talking heads on local radio, it's not a "conspiracy" in a planned sense, necessarily, just guys letting their emotions be swayed because they know what happens to their conference if the wrong team wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh
            just guys letting their emotions be swayed because they know what happens to their conference if the wrong team wins.
            Having watched many of the SEC games in question, I'm going to have to agree. Some of those calls can only be explained by the fact that the refs know (subconsciously) what's at stake and they start calling what they think they need to see rather than what they actually do see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by gh
              just guys letting their emotions be swayed because they know what happens to their conference if the wrong team wins.
              Having watched many of the SEC games in question, I'm going to have to agree. Some of those calls can only be explained by the fact that the refs know (subconsciously) what's at stake and they start calling what they think they need to see rather than what they actually do see.

Bingo(except maybe for the subconscious part).

Comment

• Originally posted by guru
                Bingo(except maybe for the subconscious part).
                Nah, you don't get to be an SEC ref without a sense of 'fair play'. Short of a bribe (which, sadly, is always in play), they pride themselves on being great officials. I just don't see making a bad call on purpose. I'm betting they were truly chagrined at being sat down by the SEC Commissioner!

Comment

• I have a long time friend who was a SWC and NFL official. He does not deny that some calls may be "emotionally" influenced, although he denies they are deliberate or with malice aforethought. :roll:

Comment

• Guru, did Cincinnati hire the same referees that have been working the Alabama and Florida games this season?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      Guru, did Cincinnati hire the same referees that have been working the Alabama and Florida games this season?
                      That was a very close call. The ball did break the plane of the goal line. The only question was did he have control. Regardless, even if it goes West Virginia's way they have it at their own 1 yard line - hardly an ideal situation.

Considering the number of times they've been tackled for a loss, the Mountaineers may have actually come out 2 points ahead in the reversal.

Comment

• FYI, Boise State's schedule is ranked 109th out of 121 I-A teams thus far. Mississippi State has the toughest schedule in college football followed by Washington, Georgia, Florida State and Oregon. Also, Cincinnati's schedule is tougher than Texas' schedule at this point. It'll be interesting to see if that's the case at the end of the season, as it may cause the computers to favor the Bearcats over the Longhorns. Right now, Cincinnati is ranked #3 in the computers and Texas is #5. However, one thing that's certain is that Cincinnati needs to score as many style points as they can in their last two games to at least close the gap somewhat in the human polls even though they won't pass Texas. What's hurting them now is that TCU is getting the lion's share of the fourth place votes and they need to reverse that situation.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2009.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                          What's hurting them now is that TCU is getting the lion's share of the fourth place votes and they need to reverse that situation.

A win over Pitt in Pittsburgh will change that, especially if the Panthers spank Notre Dame tonight and handle West Virginia.

Comment

• OK, gloating time - Stanford just spanked USC with 55 points - the most ever scored on them at home in history!

Comment

• HA! Came looking here, thinking, "Marlow must be there gloating by now!"

Comment

• Marlow, had you heard about Bobby Bowden's post-game press conference after last week's Clemson loss? They were talking about it on College Gameday this morning and it doesn't sound good.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎