• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidokun
    • Oct 2007
    • Mired in Tar

Originally posted by tandfman
    Has there ever been a top college quarterback who made it as a tight end in the NFL?
    He wasn't a "top" college quarterback, except in a physical sense, but Mike Tice made that transition.

Comment

• Marlow
      • Jan 2008
      • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Tebow taken to the hospital after a big hit concussion (vomiting, disorientation). Gator Nation holding their breath.

Comment

• guru
        • Oct 2005
        • Deadwood, SD

A bloody week for the top 10, as Mississippi, Cal, Penn State, and Miami all lose. Cincinnati should move in this week(along with Ohio State).

As for Florida, all I can say is why the hell was Tebow in there in the first place?

Comment

• BillVol
          • Oct 2005
          • Chattanooga

Originally posted by guru
          A bloody week for the top 10, as Mississippi, Cal, Penn State, and Miami all lose. Cincinnati should move in this week(along with Ohio State).

As for Florida, all I can say is why the hell was Tebow in there in the first place?
          That's what I was wondering.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BillVol
            Originally posted by guru

That's what I was wondering.
            When you consider that Tebow came into the game with the flu and is a senior which means that Meyers needs to start grooming his successor, there was no reason for him to be in the game with Florida up 31-7 that late in the game. When Chris Leak was a senior and Tebow was a freshman, there is no way that Leak would have still been in the game in that situation.

Someone on College Gameday predicted five upsets in the top 10 yesterday, and it's no longer a big surprise when non-BCS conference teams, or even 1-AA teams beat BCS teams. it seems that college football may be entering the age of parity in which nothing can be taken for granted, and "rent-a-rout" becomes an obsolete term. And to think it was only two years ago that Appalachian State went to the Big House and shocked the world.

By the way, Purdue Head Coach Danny Hope's decision to call time out with 36 seconds left will go down as one of the all-time dumbest coaching decisions in the history of college football.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
              • Oct 2005

With both of the guys who attended the Downtown Athletic Club with him last December, having being put out of commission, I wonder what's going through Colt McKoy's mind this morning?

Comment

• richxx87
                • Oct 2005
                • Bali

Saturday just showed how asinine the preseason polls are. They had the Cal Bores rated waaaay too high. They had Penn St. too high. Miami is several years away.

It should be illegal for any wire service, magazine or newspaper to do any kind of rankings until at least the 4th or 5th week of the season. Preseason polls just wildly skew everything henceforth.

If the NCAA is going to rely on popularity polls to determine it's national champs (as well as those deserving of multimillion-dollar BCS bowls), then let them determine as much as possible on the field THIS season.

This should be the poll at the moment, based on what they've done on the field this season. The next 10 ~ 15 spots in the ranking should only go to 1-loss teams who've only lost to one of these.
                1. Alabama
                1. Auburn
                1. Boise State
                1. Cincinnati
                1. Florida
                1. Iowa
                1. Kansas
                1. LSU
                1. Michigan
                1. Missouri
                1. TCU
                1. Texas
                1. Texas A&M
                1. UCLA
                1. Wisconsin

Comment

• lonewolf
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Indian Territory

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  [ Purdue Head Coach Danny Hope's decision to call time out with 36 seconds left will go down as one of the all-time dumbest coaching decisions in the history of college football.
                  I didn't give a squirt who won this game but I had exactly the same thought as I watched it.

Comment

• Marlow
                    • Jan 2008

"Tim is doing fine this morning," Florida Coach Urban Meyer said Sunday. "His CT scans came back and indicated that Tim suffered a concussion. Our medical and athletic training staff will continue to monitor him to determine how much rest and recovery he needs."
                    They'll downplay this as much as possible. They have a bye week now, but Tebow will be back after that, no matter what any doctor says.

Comment

• richxx87
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Bali

Saturday just showed how asinine the preseason polls are. ...
                      It should be illegal for any wire service, magazine or newspaper to do any kind of rankings until at least the 4th or 5th week of the season. Preseason polls just wildly skew everything henceforth.
                      YahooSports columnist agrees:

Originally posted by Yahoo's Dan Wetzel
                      The voters who participate in the Harris Interactive and USA Today Coaches polls apparently did not pay any attention. Hey, why would they? These are only the people whom the empty suits of the Bowl Championship Series have empowered to determine how the sport’s champion is crowned.

So it made perfect sense that in the polls that make up two-thirds of the BCS formula Penn State is still ahead of Iowa and Cal is still ahead of Oregon. These are among a half-dozen rankings based more on reputation and preseason hype than results.
                      http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns

Comment

• gh
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 2005
                        • west of Westeros

What a stunningly great article: must-read stuff for anybody who follows college football.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gh
                          What a stunningly great article: must-read stuff for anybody who follows college football.
                          It wasn't that great though he did make a couple of good points. The whole Iowa-Penn State and Oregon-Cal thing is a circular argument. Using his logic, Oklahoma should not be ranked ahead of BYU, but didn't BYU lose to Florida State, who lost to Miami, who . . . . ? And the idea of a 16-team playoff would never come from anyone who gave a damn about the players. Hell, I think it's immoral to force the kids to play these silly conference championship games. Unlike basbeball, basketabll, hockey, track and field, tennis, etc., football players can't legally turn pro out of high school, so my feeling is that if they are going to be held prisoner by the NCAA for three years, the unversities shouldn't exploit them more than they already do.

One good point he made is that Harris polls members should be required to watch every team at least once during the season in this day and age of cable TV, satellite TV and DVR's. Also, he expressed a sentiment that I have often expressed to friends when he said this:
                          Second, as baseball numbers whiz Bill James points out, the three times the computers have disagreed with the final human vote, the BCS suits immediately re-rigged the formulas in an effort to prevent it from happening again.

The computers aren’t there to counter the polls. They exist to offer credibility through pre-calculated agreement.

“Computers, like automobiles and airplanes, do only what people tell them to do,” James wrote for Slate.

Comment

• Marlow
                            • Jan 2008

That's why the play-off would HAVE to 16-teams, but 4 weeks of playoffs is too much now, so they'd have to cut the regular season back to 10, which no one wants, so we're stuck with the unmanageable BCS formula. They'll try 4, then 8, and finally go back to the polls.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Marlow
                              That's why the play-off would HAVE to 16-teams, but 4 weeks of playoffs is too much now, so they'd have to cut the regular season back to 10, which no one wants, so we're stuck with the unmanageable BCS formula. They'll try 4, then 8, and finally go back to the polls.
                              I don't why folks would think that college footbal would go from no playoffs to a 16-team playoff when no other sport did it. When MLB first instituted a playoff in 1969, they started out with four teams, and the same with the NFL in 1967. If and when college football does institute a playoff, it will also start out with four teams. My question to the playoff jihadists is who is going to pay for the goody bags (playstations, X-box's, digital camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players, $750 Best Buy gift certificates, flat screen TV's, laptops, blackberries, etc.) that the players now get from the bowls if there is a playoff?

Comment

• TrackDaddy
                                • Nov 2007
                                • The Command Post

Originally posted by gh
                                Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                                Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                                The clock has just struck midnight for the Ole Miss Rebels. I never understood their high pre-season ranking anyway.
                                Jevan Snead was supposed to be the next Eli Manning.
                                One of the talking heads on a national radio show yesterday said that if Bradford's injury is bad, he could easily see Snead being the No. 1 pick in the draft.
                                Now I'm hearing rumors about Jimmy Clausen. I believe Chris Mortensen hinted around about it. To be honest he does look pretty good.
                                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Working...
                                X