Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travelers Wife

Grrrooaannn. Ok, is it just me or is this one of (the?) worst movies in a long time? (forever?)
    I don't mean B movies or C movies or however they are rated which have lousy acting, dialog and plots (if any).
    I mean a first run, high production quality, highly promoted, beautiful people ,which is so convoluted and seemingly tries to mesh realism with a far-fetched sci-fi "disease". Even my viewing companion, a suckerette for chick-flicks, who inveigled me into seeing it was squirming and apologetic.
    I don't mind sci-fi, comic effects ghosts or time-travel movies with no pretense of realism but this was the longest 90 minute movie I can remember ever enduring.
    Just my reaction. If you enjoyed it, lucky you.

Thanks for the tip. I learned a new word, "inveigle:

1. To win over by coaxing, flattery, or artful talk. See Synonyms at lure.
    2. To obtain by cajolery"

Read "Replay", by Ken Grimwood, a pretty good time travel book a friend recommended, all about choice and/or sometimes lack thereof. It could be made into a good movie.

Comment

So were you coaxed, flattered, or cajoled? Too bad "seduced" is not one of the definitions.

Comment

Did you see The Lake House? Same problem. The logic falls apart about 5 minutes into the movie. Then the 'love story' seems rather irrelevant because you're so annoyed at the plot.

But . . . the 75WMR said:

The plot makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but fortunately it’s all about love, so I guess it’s not supposed to! Just like the randomly time-traveling protagonist, we have no control over it either, so the whole thing makes perfect sense in its own illogical way. It’s a charming tale, albeit rather tear-jerkingly so. You’ll laugh and cry and nod your head knowingly, which is not a bad way to spend two hours with a movie.
        so there ya go! :P

Comment

Yeah, to each his own. Maybe I over-reacted. It is just a movie.

PS: Trust Marlow to skillfully damn with faint praise.

Comment

Working...
          X