Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Hot Women' Conundrum

The mods have made it very clear that objectifying women by commenting on their 'looks' is taboo. I can understand that. I certainly do want people to judge my daughter on her other attributes besides her stunning personal attractiveness ( :wink: 8-) ). But it was the PTB here that linked this article on the home page

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/g ... 423?page=2

Wherein a very complicit Vicki Parnov displays her rather comely figure. So now we understand that woman can objectify themselves. But . . . suppose WE were to comment on certain portions of her anatomy. I'm thinking THAT would be frowned upon here. So now I'm confused. A woman can try and capital on her physical beauty, but when men take notice, that's a bad thing.

I was not being facetious nor disingenuous when I said I was confused. I really am. Comments on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_standard

Comment

Re: The 'Hot Women' Conundrum

Originally posted by Marlow
      The mods have made it very clear that objectifying women by commenting on their 'looks' is taboo. I can understand that. I certainly do want people to judge my daughter on her other attributes besides her stunning personal attractiveness ( :wink: 8-) ). But it was the PTB here that linked this article on the home page

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/g ... 423?page=2

Wherein a very complicit Vicki Parnov displays her rather comely figure. So now we understand that woman can objectify themselves. But . . . suppose WE were to comment on certain portions of her anatomy. I'm thinking THAT would be frowned upon here. So now I'm confused. A woman can try and capital on her physical beauty, but when men take notice, that's a bad thing.

I was not being facetious nor disingenuous when I said I was confused. I really am. Comments on this?
      I get confused over this, too, Marlow. Women say they don't want to be objectified, but then they pose for photo shoots wearing almost nothing. But it's only some women who pose for these pictures. We admire Amy Acuff's HJ skills, but then we see her in photos almost nude. In Amy's case, totally nude. Women!

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
        Women say they don't want to be objectified, but then they pose for photo shoots wearing almost nothing.
        But are these the same women?

Comment

A pole vaulter? :shock:
          Pardon moi, but perceptively prattling, at potential peril of penance, while putting them on a pedestal, the peachy pair, Pamov and Isenbayeva positively pack a potent, unparalled, pulchitrudinous, professional pole vault punch, to parse a puerile, piquant phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Women say they don't want to be objectified, but then they pose for photo shoots wearing almost nothing.
            But are these the same women?
            That's the question. Who knows? They may be. Or maybe not.

Has Stacy Dragila ever "posed"?

Comment

That's the question. Who knows? They may be. Or maybe not.
              Another example are woman who can only be described as male chauvinist. Why would that be?

Comment

apropos of nothing, i was just flipping through the channels on tv the other night and i caught the end of the miss universe pageant. i noticed that some countries are beauty pageant superpowers and always make the final 5, chiefly, venezuela, PR, DR. which got me thinking: there seems to be an inverse correlation between how good a country is in T&F and in beauty pageants. with few exceptions, venezuela, DR and PR don't do too well in T&F, but excel in beauty pageants (i was gonna add brazil and colombia, but they didn't make the finals in the miss universe this year -- kosovo, of all places, did). at one point, india was also a beauty pageant superpower, and we know they don't do too well in T&F...

Comment

mr. marlow, don't you know by now that you only have eyes for mrs. marlow? has she not trained you well?

Comment

Has Stacy Dragila ever "posed"?
                    http://www.sports-wired.com/women/image ... la/900.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                      i noticed that some countries are beauty pageant superpowers and always make the final 5, chiefly, venezuela, PR, DR. which got me thinking: there seems to be an inverse correlation between how good a country is in T&F and in beauty pageants
                      they are damn good at boxing though !!!

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                        mr. marlow, don't you know by now that you only have eyes for mrs. marlow? has she not trained you well?
                        She's the only one I could LOVE (or that would love me), but there are others that I would invite to my birthday party and I would be very cordial towards.

Comment

Oh, my.
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Oh, my.

What if every time we compliment a female for her looks, we compliment a fella as well. Keep things even.

Example:

Isi is glorious to behold, and so is Tom Selleck's mustache.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

The mods have made it very clear that objectifying women by commenting on their 'looks' is taboo. ...?
                              That's a gross oversimplification of our position. Yes, we consider it offensive to "objectify" athletes (of either sex) based on hunkiness. Not only because it can be offensive to them, but also because of the horrid other side of the coin, in which "ugliness" (or as more recently, "mannish" appearance) has come into play. These people are athletes and we're here to discuss their athletic prowess.

Having said that, women who are in look-at-me-I'm-beautiful lines of works (actresses, models, etc.,) have by definition "given up the right" to protest being judged based on pulchritude. So we have never attempted to put any curb on commentary in that regard.

Keeping in mind, of course, that while few in number, there are "significant" numbers of women who read these forums, and if you wanna look like a pre-pubescent dickhead to them, feel free to drool at will. (Perhaps it should be a criterion that everybody who posts judging women should be required to include a current photo of themselves for apprpriate critique by other members of the forum.)

As to the specific case in hand, if Vicki Parnov chooses to "pose" that becomes legitimate material to be headlined by us. Leering stalker postings of Ms. Stokke would not be.

Comment

Working...
                              X