Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Solution to Afganistan...

I've been accused of being too simple minded...and I may be on this idea as well. But it occured to me a while back after I had watched the 60 Minutes piece on those amazing unmanned drones that they could be the key to getting our troops out and still monitoring terriost activity.

Do we have enough of those drones to continuosly fly over all the potential hot spots for terriost training camps et al in Afganistan? I so, couldn't this be a simple answer with virtually no troops on the ground?

NO. Not enough drones and drones alone will not do the job.

Comment

For more on this read this recent article by Andrew Bacevich.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/177374

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        drones alone will not do the job.
        And that's the bottom line. Drones are for air recon, air support and air-to-ground attack. What is required there is ground recon, ground support and ground attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          And that's the bottom line. Drones are for air recon, air support and air-to-ground attack. What is required there is ground recon, ground support and ground attack.
          ...and a lot of teachers.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Easy solution: Convert them all to Buddhism or most anything else...
            Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              Originally posted by Marlow
              ...and a lot of teachers.
              are you volunteering ME?! :shock: I'm no TOABW
              teacher of anti-brain-washing

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                Easy solution: Convert them all to Buddhism or most anything else...
                Problem solved.
                If you convert them from fundamentalist Islam to fundamentalist anything else, you still haven't solved the problem. Here's how Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mohamad Mahathir put it in a 2003 speech before Muslims:
                At the time the Europeans of the Middle Ages were still superstitious and backward, the enlightened Muslims had already built a great Muslim civilisation, respected and powerful, more than able to compete with the rest of the world and able to protect the ummah from foreign aggression. The Europeans had to kneel at the feet of Muslim scholars in order to access their own scholastic heritage. But halfway through the building of the great Islamic civilisation came new interpreters of Islam who taught that acquisition of knowledge by Muslims meant only the study of Islamic theology. The study of science, medicine etc. was discouraged. Intellectually the Muslims began to regress. They became more and more preoccupied with minor issues such as whether tight trousers and peak caps were Islamic, whether printing machines should be allowed or electricity used to light mosques. The Industrial Revolution was totally missed by the Muslims. . . . . This is what comes from the superficial interpretation of the Quran.
                I see fundamentalism as the enemy, not Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  [I see fundamentalism as the enemy, not Islam.
                  Exactly correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    For more on this read this recent article by Andrew Bacevich.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/177374
                    Half way thru the article it got distorted...but, what I did read made sense. Thanks Conor Dary for the link.

I'm beginning to think that trying to conquer these complex ,fractionated (is that a word?) countries is more damaging than a terrorist strike or two...

Comment

America a screwed up when Russia was trying to do the Afghans in. We were on the wrong side. With our help, we could have taken all the Afghans out. If you've ever been to Afganistan, you know there is is nothing there worth keeping. Anyhow, we had our chance and blew it years ago, so now we pay the price.j

Comment

George Will agrees with lovetorun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02912.html

Comment

Originally posted by lovetorun

I'm beginning to think that trying to conquer these complex ,fractionated (is that a word?) countries is more damaging than a terrorist strike or two...
                          I guess it would depend on the severity of the attack but in the end you might be right.

We cant allow terrorist camps to thrive in Afg. and we have to get out of there, asap, horrible situation.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            Originally posted by lovetorun

I guess it would depend on the severity of the attack but in the end you might be right.

We cant allow terrorist camps to thrive in Afg. and we have to get out of there, asap, horrible situation.
                            My biggest worry is countries that have no governement like Somolia and countries that have weak governemnts like Afghanistan. We're a lot better off with a country run by Saddam Hussein than a country with no government, because guys like Saddam aren't going to let Al Qaeda-types set up a base of operations using his return address when they go and wreak havoc abroad.

Comment

Hopefully, sound reasoning and a feasible plan will prevail...and, hopefully, it will allow the removal of most troops, favoring cutting edge military technology i.e. a new way to accomplish our mission there. Our mission being, as stated above, to keep terriost camps from operating in Afganistan.

Comment

Working...
                              X