Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of what you say about Sanchez is true, but there WAS a family tie that had nothing to do with track. And it is a tie that has been used many times in the past by athletes choosing to represent the land of one or both of their parents. In most cases, they were choosing a country whose national teams were easier to make, but they were not just picking a country at random--it was always one with which they had a family relationship. Everyone has always accepted that.

The Africans who have been recruited by Qatar and Bahrain are very different. In most (all?) cases, there have been no family history, no prior residence, in fact no tie at all with their new country. Many people are more troubled by that than they are by people like Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
      i am also rather cynical about sanchez. he was born and developed in the US schools system. he only chose to represent DR because it was easier.
      But what about the athletes who arguably were either NOT developed in US schools, or born in the US but choose to run for the US? In the following cases, it is HARDER to make the US team than the country of their birth. Why such a hardline for Sanchez? Should Manzano run for Mexico? Lagat for Kenya? Richards AND Dunn for Jamaica? Lomong for Sudan? Lewy-Boulet for Poland? Clement for Trinidad? Where should the cut-off be for "born" and for "developed"?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        All of what you say about Sanchez is true, but there WAS a family tie that had nothing to do with track. And it is a tie that has been used many times in the past by athletes choosing to represent the land of one or both of their parents. In most cases, they were choosing a country whose national teams were easier to make, but they were not just picking a country at random--it was always one with which they had a family relationship. Everyone has always accepted that.

The Africans who have been recruited by Qatar and Bahrain are very different. In most (all?) cases, there have been no family history, no prior residence, in fact no tie at all with their new country. Many people are more troubled by that than they are by people like Sanchez.
        I don't dispute his parents being from DR, thats is in fact true, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

My point is it doesn't matter if is picking a country randomly or for sentimental value. I'd say 99% of athletes switch countries they are running for for PURELY selfish reasons. Kerron Clement is an exception and maybe Sanya as well.

Whatever reason people CHOOSE to run for a different nation is a personal choice, and they should not be condemned for it. Thats my point. Money or otherwise.

Comment

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I know I'd love Daniel Bailey to run for Jamaica. We've all but cattle branded his azz.
          http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JWiz
            Don't know what all the fuss is about. I know I'd love Daniel Bailey to run for Jamaica. We've all but cattle branded his azz.
            Are you sure about that? ops: :lol:

Comment

banning Qatar and Bahrain for buying athletes?

No. I completely disagree.

First, I just don't care that much if athletes move around, so long as some protocols remain in place so that it doesn't become a complete free for all.

Frankly, what's the downside of, for example, having a few Kenyan and Ethiopian athletes move over to represent Qatar and Bahrain? Those countries benefit from it. As far as domestic development goes, the importation of some world class athletes can actually help elevate a country's talent in a sport. It brings attention, creates a national star, role model, etc. There is no doubt that Bernard Lagat has had a very postive impact on U.S. middle and long distance running. He's a class act. He wears the U.S. uniform proudly; he's spurred a higher level of comp in the U.S. men's 1500, 3000 and 5000. Love it.

For countries like Kenya and Ethiopia that have such a wealth of talent in the distance events, they'll be just fine. Indeed, overall having a few world class talents go to other countries opens up more opportunities for the athletes that stay.

Then, at the Worlds and Olympics we have the benefit of better overall competition.

Sorry, but no big deal if you ask me.

Comment

Re: ban qatar and bahrain

Originally posted by cacique
                bahrain and qatar should be banned from all international competition and the olympics.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08092009/ ... cials.html

their wholesale buying of athletes is a joke.

and while we are at it, ban saudi arabia (for not allowing women to compete).
                Or give up on the whole idea. The top 32 athletes based on performance go the the WC and the OG.

If the 5, 10, and marathon entrants are 70% African or if a huge percentage of the sprints are US or Jamaican then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  that is correct. they have never lived, nor do they live, in qatar or bahrain, speak the language or have any other ties. kamel was exceptional in that sense, in that he even joined their military. but mostly, have no links whatsoever. some of the kenyans can't even pronounce/spell their new arab names.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                    Originally posted by JWiz
                    Are you sure about that? ops: :lol:
                    I'm sorry....you've lost me. Considering your sense of humor. Me thinks you have him confused with someone else. :lol:
                    http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

If a guy wants to sell his talent to Qatar, why is that anyone's business but his and Qatar's. I seriously don't see the problem. Are you guys THAT hung up on the national medal count? I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        If a guy wants to sell his talent to Qatar, why is that anyone's business but his and Qatar's. I seriously don't see the problem. Are you guys THAT hung up on the national medal count? I'm not.
                        I would be a bit more hung up on losing the funding that many Countries pour into Olympic Sports, such as ours, because a few uber-wealthy Countries think that buying their National Team is a good idea. The IOC and IAAF should really review their policies on this, and make changing "Nationalities" a bit more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                          make changing "Nationalities" a bit more serious.
                          In the business world that's known as 'restraint of trade' and it's a serious allegation. If the #5 thru 10 Kenyan Steeplechasers can go elsewhere and run in the Olympics and make more money, holy cow, let them!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            Originally posted by rasb
                            make changing "Nationalities" a bit more serious.
                            In the business world that's known as 'restraint of trade' and it's a serious allegation. If the #5 thru 10 Kenyan Steeplechasers can go elsewhere and run in the Olympics and make more money, holy cow, let them!
                            This is not the business world, thank gawd. It's the world of sport, where hopefully little kids in playgrounds can learn of their Countries sporting heroes, and attempt to emulate them, which is good for all of us. If you want to treat our sport as a totally professional endeavour, and differentiate it from the roots that feed it, then that is your choice. I respectfully disagree.
                            I hope you are not saying that you would be happy with 48 Kenyans running for 16 different Nations, being the only ones able to meet the "new" Olympic standard in the steeple. If that turns your crank, you must be in Florida

Comment

The country you are born in is an accident of birth. Pretty much like the religion 99% of you are stuck with.
                              It is sort of rediculous the way some of these guys switch countries overnight. But it's a free market. At least athletes can now make a living off the sport, unlike 40 years ago.

Comment

no one is saying no athlete is allowed to change citizenship. some do it through marriage (in addition to the kipketer example mentioned above, fiona may married an italian and competed for italy, engquist -- ugh -- became a swede, that chinese gymnast - li donghua? - married a swiss and won a gold for switzerland, etc.). others move to other countries, like lagat did, obikwelu, barber, alozie, etc. but at least these athletes have a connection, residency and other links to their new countries.

jamal and all those kenyans representing qatar and bahrain don't live there, don't speak the language (remember how some couldn't even write or pronounce their new arab names?) and have no other link except they were bought and paid for by the sheikhs. that's a total joke.

and how about those that change citizenship twice or more?????

Comment

Working...
                                X