Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm ambivelant about athletes changing countries it doesn't feel right but when i think about it i can't actually come up with anything tangible that's wrong with it :?

but i'm all for banning any country that doesn't let women compete :x
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
      This is not the business world, thank gawd. It's the world of sport, where hopefully little kids in playgrounds can learn of their Countries sporting heroes, and attempt to emulate them, which is good for all of us.
      Thank you , Lord Brundage.

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
        they were bought and paid for by the sheikhs. that's a total joke
        Igor Macypura was born in Kiev, as a young boy the family emigrated to USA. He became a figure skater of insufficient talent to make the US team. Either he or the Ukrainians were not interested in an association, so he approached Slovak authorities. He was accepted and now he represents Slovakia. The guy lives in Colorado Springs, visits Slovakia for the national championship. I am pretty sure, he doesn't speak the language either.

How is this for a joke?
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
          How is this for a joke?
          I'm assuming you think it is? I don't at all.
          Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
          How is this guy's situation any skin off your nose?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            How is this for a joke?
            I'm going to agree with Marlow here.

I mean what's it to you guys if they switch countries?

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
              It's the world of sport, where hopefully little kids in playgrounds can learn of their Countries sporting heroes, and attempt to emulate them, which is good for all of us.
              As opposed to kids emulating foreign sports heroes, which is a bad thing?
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

After watching the greatest athletes on the planet scrimp for pennies during the amature farce i'm thrilled to see runners make money any way the can short of murder.
                phsstt!

Comment

How is this for a joke?
                  I did not file an injunction. I am saying that his Slovak citizenship is a joke, which it is :evil: .
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Every case is different, but my gut is with cacique and Pego on this one. To me, changing countries is not like changing jobs or changing hair styles--it's not something that should be done on the spur of the moment, regardless of the cash incentives.

The laws of my country (the US) support this thinking. You can't just decide to become a US citizen and have it happen overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      The laws of my country (the US) support this thinking.
                      Aha - there you have it. The laws of THOSE lands do not support this thinking. So you're right and they're wrong? That's a rather unilateral way of looking at it. If they, in their sovereignty, say it's OK, and it's no harm to others (certainly it is not to me), who are you to tell them they CAN'T do it? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        The laws of my country (the US) support this thinking.
                        Aha - there you have it. The laws of THOSE lands do not support this thinking. So you're right and they're wrong? That's a rather unilateral way of looking at it. If they, in their sovereignty, say it's OK, and it's no harm to others (certainly it is not to me), who are you to tell them they CAN'T do it? :?:
                        Nobody said they can't do it. All we are saying is that it is a joke. A joke, son, do you know, what a joke is?
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I've never liked it. Qatar at least played things by the book. By contrast Bahrain have repeated been involved in dodgy dealings - age cheating, the dispute with Kamel, Ramzi, the way in which they have "signed" some young athletes ...
                          There's an interesting number of athletes trying to return to Kenyan nationality from Bahrain, which suggests that something ain't right.

Comment

If we're going to follow Marlow's line of thinking then national teams are meaningless, and we should get rid of them altogether for the World Championships (probably can't affect the Olympics). I'd actually be all for that, as that would mean that the best athletes would compete regardless of country. But that would also probably mean an end to the gravy train from places like Qatar and Bahrain, which seem to do this out of some false sense of "glory," and probably yet more decline in the popularity of the sport.

But Pego, etc. are right. If you're going to have national teams, then those teams should at least mean something more than going to the highest bidder. Changing countries is hardly like going from Reebok to Nike, or being traded from the Mets to the Orioles. If it was, then why the big weepy national anthem and flag scenes? Why not just hand people one of those big mock-up checks, have them wave their shoes in the air so we can all see the swoosh, thank all their sponsors in the interview ("I'd like to thank Nike, Home Depot, Bahrain, and Snickers. Couldn't have done it without you guys") like race drivers, and be done with it?

Comment

[
                              Nobody said they can't do it. All we are saying is that it is a joke. A joke, son, do you know, what a joke is?
                              My point, exactly. Who do they think they are fooling?

Comment

A joke, son, do you know, what a joke is?
                                Yes, this is a joke:

Originally posted by Al in NYC
                                If we're going to follow Marlow's line of thinking then national teams are meaningless, and we should get rid of them altogether for the World Championships (probably can't affect the Olympics).
                                It's also a logical fallacy. Allowing athletes to change nationalities will not end Western Civilization as we know it. It would merely allow athletes the freedom to represent whatever nation compensates them the best. New York Yankees much? I see no distinction between the situations. The WC/OG are NOT about the medal counts!

Comment

Working...
                                X