Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama speaks to the Kids....some

I wish every kid in the USA (and around the World) was able to listen to Obama today. His message was so relevant, whether one's parents are Republicans, Democrats, Independent, or something else. What a shame that some adults chose to make political statements by denying their kids the right to hear this brilliant, inspirational orator. In a perfect World, those kids would grow up to resent the censorship from their "caring" parents.

What flavor was that cool aid? :lol:

Comment

raspberry, obviously!

Comment

Duh! I should have known :wink:

Comment

A family member asked that she be allowed to let her class view the speech. Not only did her principal say no, the city Superintendent gave her a call as well.

Comment

The folks who kept kids from hearing the President's speech today didn't really have a problem with the message. After all, they didn't object to Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43 and even Clinton delivering basically the same message to schoolkids. What they had a problem with is their kids hearing this message from Obama. In Arlington, Texas, kids who were denied the opportunity to hear Obama's speech today, are being bussed to hear George and Laura Bush speak on September 21. This is really a sad day for America.

Comment

True, they didn't want their kids to hear the speech because it came from Obama. The message was irrelevent. No matter what he tries to do, even if its bipartisan in nature, many will never accept his efforts.

I don't agree with Obama on everything, but those denying him an opportunity to tell kids to stay in school acted irresponsibly .

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This rejection was promoted by people who call themselves "conservatives." So, if Obama's daughter Malia had been pregnant on stage during his campaign (like Sarah Palin's daughter was), or was openly gay (like Cheney's daughter is and who's lifestyle Cheney supports) would he then be "fit to speak to the nation's children" the way they apparently are?

Counterintuitive I know, but just trying to figure out what it takes.

As for Laura Bush, she actually supported Obama's decision to give his speech. Good for her.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD9AIQR4O0
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

And TD, no matter how much Black folks disagreed with W, he was always shown respect by people in places of government responsibilty like principals and school superintendents. Even when he went to speak before the NAACP, he was given the same respect and courtesies that any Democratic President would get.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
                  A family member asked that she be allowed to let her class view the speech. Not only did her principal say no, the city Superintendent gave her a call as well.
                  Thats truely sad. A president addressing students telling them to stay in school and work hard, actually should make your job as a Principle and Superintendent easier.

I don't understand what the big fuss was. Well I do, but I won't go there.

Comment

PC madness at its most insane. The school authorities think they'll get sued by some parent who thinks Obama is the Devil lncarnate. We've come to a point in history where the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. Personal liberties are indeed a wonderful thing, but in taking this too far, we've lost a wonderful educational opportunity, even if you disagree with Obama.

'Let's talk' has become 'Let's not know'.

Comment

But you seriously have to ask yourself as a parent. If Obama can successully indoctrinate your children in less than 30 minutes, what kind of parent are you?

Comment

It's the internet age and everyone speaks with equal authority.

Nutballs can say the President was born in Kenya, that jet contrails are poison mind-control conspiracies, that no airplanes flew into buildings on 9/11, that the world is being controlled by a secret world government of alien reptiles headquartered in catacombs below the Denver airport (look it up... people really believe all these things!).

And a disturbingly large percentage of the population never bothers to sort out what notions might be legit from what amounts to sheer idiocy.

Heck, take a look at some of the recent posts here! For example, this summer - 25 years after the fact - we learned that Zola Budd was the one who pushed down Mary Slaney!

Comment

My Rant, Part II:

My local school district's shameful policy:
                          If any teacher in our elementary or secondary districts elects to show the president’s speech, we will allow it. However, we are advising staff to either download the speech and preview it before sharing it or to send a message home and advise the parent or guardian of their right to opt their child out of this activity and an appropriate alternative will be provided
                          So, the school administrators "will allow it" to be shown, but task teachers to screen and censor the President of the US!
                          And what, exactly, is "an appropriate alternative" activity?

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                            My Rant, Part II:

My local school district's shameful policy:
                            If any teacher in our elementary or secondary districts elects to show the president’s speech, we will allow it. However, we are advising staff to either download the speech and preview it before sharing it or to send a message home and advise the parent or guardian of their right to opt their child out of this activity and an appropriate alternative will be provided
                            So, the school administrators "will allow it" to be shown, but task teachers to screen and censor the President of the US!
                            And what, exactly, is "an appropriate alternative" activity?

Its no surprise our country is in the shape its in.

Comment

American politics has often been an arena for angry minds. In recent years we have seen angry minds at work mainly among extreme right-wingers, who have now demonstrated in the _____________ movement how much political leverage can be got out of the animosities and passions of a small minority. But behind this I believe there is a style of mind that is far from new and that is not necessarily right-wing. I call it the paranoid style simply because no other word adequately evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind.
                              The Paranoid Style in American Politics, Richard J Hofstadter, 1964.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Originally, the name "Goldwater" went in the blank, but there are many names of people active right now that fit in that blank perfectly.

The innocuous speech comes a day before a hugely important policy speech. Obama has reason to want to look positive from the school speech, and his opponents have reason for him not to. Really, the only thing that surprises me is that anyone didn't expect the criticism which came from the right.

Comment

Working...
                              X