Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flags as Towels... Offensive !

Am I the only one that is sick and tired of seeing every single winner in every single event in every single OG or WC be handed a flag/towel to "spontaneously" parade around the track ? Nobody loves their country more than I, but if and when I win ( somewhat doubtful) I will respectfully decline, thank you.

edit to add: posted in wrong category, sorry for that.

Agree completely. What was once a spontaneous expression of joy and pride has now been co-opted by the brand-conscious marketing folks. Not to mention that with the size of the flag the athletes are given, it's nearly impossible not to end up dragging it all over the track and using it, as Steve said, like a towel.

I'd be more impressed to see an athlete not grab the flag (in contradiction to some IAAF or IOC/USATF order, I am sure), and to then at least mouth all of the words to the Star Spangled Banner, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting worked up about it one way or another. Perhaps the 'flag-wavers' wish to wave their country's flag (and I'm thinking they must - for whatever reason - and it is THEIR reason) and the 'flag-providers' are merely providing a service.

Comment

I have no objection to winners waving their countries flag but would vote for smaller, staff mounted flags that can be respectfully controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          I have no objection to winners waving their countries flag but would vote for smaller, staff mounted flags that can be respectfully controlled.
          I agree. When I was growing up back in the 50's and 60's it was considered a horror to let the flag even touch the ground, let alone use it as a beach blanket.

Comment

Actually, I haven't seen someone take the flag and wipe or dry something while celebrating. I also don't remember people stretching towels while raising the arms and posing for the photographers outside of sports.

Also, shouldn't you actually welcome the "devaluation" of flags as they have become fashionable props during the lap of honor since you don't like to see monstrous flags, sometimes larger than the athlete himself ? Either way, I don't mind the standardization of handing out flags after the race or conclusion of the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              I like the freedom of expression that would allow one of my countrymen to desecrate my flag. Just as long as he understands the consequences of that action. Lonewolf knows what I'm talking about.

Comment

I think the fact that track is an international sport (unlike most others) makes flag bearing not only acceptable but expected.

When you compete -whether you like it or not - you're representing your country.

I remember when Americans where proud to be American and loved representing the red, white and blue.

The move to diminish nationalism in international sport flies in the face of Olympic style competition.

Undoubtedly we're the only nation of people who don't like it. :roll:

That's because we're spoiled, have short memories, and because of our liberties, apologists.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Re: Flags as Towels... Offensive !

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  Am I the only one that is sick and tired of seeing every single winner in every single event in every single OG or WC be handed a flag/towel to "spontaneously" parade around the track ? Nobody loves their country more than I, but if and when I win ( somewhat doubtful) I will respectfully decline, thank you.

I love it when people say stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

Regrettably I and others feel forced to offer such a disclaimer due to the oh-so-fast "Patriots" that want to accuse one of being a Commie, etc.

Comment

How can you quantify your love for this country and compare it to theirs.

I don't get why people are so concerned about what others do? Live and let live. You know you can ALWAYS turn your TV off AFTER your fellow countrymen win.

Even though EVERYONE who wins does this, it seems to be a more of a problem when Americans do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

Regrettably I and others feel forced to offer such a disclaimer due to the oh-so-fast "Patriots" that want to accuse one of being a Commie, etc.
                        What do you think of playing the national anthem before any rinky-dink sports event. I think it trivializes the anthem, but I seem to be in minority.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Can't disagree with you on that one, Pego. Not a fan, either.

Comment

*smh*

Comment

We start 'em young here in Colorado. At my kids' elementary school's first day last month, everyone gathers out front and they raise the flag and play The Star Spangled Banner, It's a Grand Ol' Flag, then Proud To Be an American. Oh, and they don't have Halloween, it's "Fall Character Day" and they can't wear scary costumes. And it's not a "Christmas Party" but a "holiday" party. And.....but I digress.....

Comment

Working...
                              X