Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it has more to do with photo ops than patriotism. Kinda the way that skiers immediately take off their skis and pose the logos in the direction of the cameras. I view the whole practice with great cynicism.

Comment

Re: Flags as Towels... Offensive !

Originally posted by Pego
      What do you think of playing the national anthem before any rinky-dink sports event. I think it trivializes the anthem, but I seem to be in minority.
      I apologize to my good friend (I think!), because I seem to be trying to contradict him today, but I get goose-bumps every time I hear it, and welcome it any time. I don't want the anthem to be a stranger, only trotted out for Memorial Day parades.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        [I like the freedom of expression that would allow one of my countrymen to desecrate my flag. Just as long as he understands the consequences of that action. Lonewolf knows what I'm talking about.
        Indeed, he does.

Comment

I am all for controlled" patriotism, whatever your country. I was approvingly surprised the first time I attended a movie in Canada and they played "Oh, Canada". NIce touch.
          Do they still do that?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            I am all for controlled" patriotism, whatever your country. I was approvingly surprised the first time I attended a movie in Canada and they played "Oh, Canada". NIce touch.
            Do they still do that?
            I had been in Sicily for 3 months with Uncle Sam's Yacht Club (without my bride of a year), and paradoxically enough had not heard the anthem the whole time I was there - went to a Saturday afternoon movie matinée on base in Sigonella with my air crew (12 of us). They played the NatAnth (with a picture of the flag waving) before the movie. We all bolted upright, standing there saluting, all crying like babies. Very surreal - have never forgotten that feeling.

Comment

[quote="guruof track"]How can you quantify your love for this country and compare it to theirs.

Very easily. All I was saying is that no one can love their country more than I love mine.... sort of like saying no one can love their children more than I love mine.

guruof track, sometime you come across as a bit contentious... ease up !

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                I don't get why people are so concerned about what others do? Live and let live. You know you can ALWAYS turn your TV off AFTER your fellow countrymen win.
                Some of us keep the TV on in the vain hope that maybe they'll switch to a field event.

Comment

Do they still do that?
                  Having been to approximately 5000 movies in Canada without ever once hearing a playing of Oh Canada, I'm curious as to who this "they" is. Big place, lots of customs.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Do they still do that?
                    Having been to approximately 5000 movies in Canada without ever once hearing a playing of Oh Canada, I'm curious as to who this "they" is. Big place, lots of customs.
                    In the several theatres in Calgary in which I saw movies in 1968-69, the movie was invariably preceded by the playing of Oh, Canada and a Canadian flag projected on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Do they still do that?
                      In the several theatres in Calgary in which I saw movies in 1968-69, the movie was invariably preceded by the playing of Oh, Canada and a Canadian flag projected on the screen.
                      I vaguely remember standing up for the Anthem in a movie theatre or so, when I was a kid in Victoria. But that was a long time ago, probably in the late 40's and early 50's. Used to love to go to the Westerns with my Dad... Sorry, lonewolf, I know the history much more now than I did then

Comment

Re: Flags as Towels... Offensive !

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                        Am I the only one that is sick and tired of seeing every single winner in every single event in every single OG or WC be handed a flag/towel to "spontaneously" parade around the track ? Nobody loves their country more than I, but if and when I win ( somewhat doubtful) I will respectfully decline, thank you.

edit to add: posted in wrong category, sorry for that.

In a similar vein, I know I'm being old-fashioned here, but I think a victory lap should be for the *victor.*

The only time the other two medalists should "jump on board" is if they are invited by the winner.

Just another example of the "we-are-all-winners" dumbing down of sport, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X