Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Bud Greenspan?

I just noticed that a new Olympic Doc from Bud Greenspan will be televised in October. I always enjoyed his storytelling point of view and this new installment will surely be as inspirational as the others. My problem is that his films are impossible to find. I long ago wore out my vhs (taped off pbs) of 16 days. I would love to own his entire Olympic work. It seems wrong that all of his hard effort gets shown once at 3am on a Monday morning or at some obscure film fest. Maybe he could consider distributing to schools and libraries through National Geographic's film series.

I would also like to find a source for Greenspan's work, especially his series "The Olympiad" from the '70s. That, and Wide World of Sports, were significant in developing my interest in obscure minor sports. Track and Field, unfortunately, fits that category.

Comment

http://www.budgreenspan.com/

Comment

doh

It's always the most obvious thing.

Comment

I love Bud, but he needs to change the name of his production company. When I went to the site I did a double-take, thinking I had just read, "Crappy Productions, Inc."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
            I love Bud, but he needs to change the name of his production company. When I went to the site I did a double-take, thinking I had just read, "Crappy Productions, Inc."
            Don't look for any changes--Cappy was the name of his late wife. They started the company together in 1967 (she passed away in 1983).

Comment

Originally posted by mj
              I would also like to find a source for Greenspan's work, especially his series "The Olympiad" from the '70s. That, and Wide World of Sports, were significant in developing my interest in obscure minor sports. Track and Field, unfortunately, fits that category.
              mj, I also fondly remember The Olympiad series, which ran on PBS. I posted about this on here some time ago. I called and emailed PBS about this series. They had no idea what I was talking about!

Anything Bud does is great. But The Olympiad was his best work. Unfortunately, nobody knows about it anymore. Not even the historians at PBS.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                Originally posted by mj
                mj, I also fondly remember The Olympiad series, which ran on PBS. I posted about this on here some time ago. I called and emailed PBS about this series. They had no idea what I was talking about!

Anything Bud does is great. But The Olympiad was his best work. Unfortunately, nobody knows about it anymore. Not even the historians at PBS.
                Only we oldtimers remember it I guess. It was indeed a great series.

Comment

I was fortunate to meet him at the 1996 Olympics. Seemed like a genuinely good man.

Comment

The other night they had the tape with Bikila in Rome, Tokyo, etc. My kids got to see part of it.

Rome is the first games I can remember (age 10); I am not sure we even had a TV in 1956.

Comment

One of my most prized, and protected, possessions is an aging VHS tape of Greenspan's "America's Greatest Olympians", taped off of TBS back in 2000. Segments on Fosbury, Wottle, Bob Richards, and Don Bragg among others. The Betty Robinson piece nearly brought tears to my eyes.
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

Bud is a fine, fine man. He is having some health problems, but I hope I get to see him in Vancouver.

Comment

Re: Where is Bud Greenspan?

Sad to hear that Bud has gone to that great Olympic meet in the sky.

His Olympiad series was one of the things that inspired me as a kid to compete in athletics and become a life-long fan of Olympic and athletics history.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/news/1-la ... maker-dies

Comment

A sad, sad day. Such a nice guy. In his memory here is my favorite Bud story, and it is T&F related.

1984 Olympic Trials in the LA Coliseum. I am working for Pete Cava there in the old TAC pressbox crew. It is late one nite, and the decathlon is ending. It is dark, and there are less than 3,000 people left in the stands to watch the decathletes run the 1,500. One competitor, whose named I no longer remember, badly injured his leg in the pole vault, but threw the jav and elects to run the 1,500 despite this. He starts and his limping and hobbling and will eventually finish in over 9 minutes for 0 points, but he wanted to finish. The crowd starts cheering him madly, his fellow runners pat his back as they lap him. It is emotional and somewhat inspiring.

I remember an old quote from a Greenspan Olympiad film and run down to the announcer's booth where Zarnowski is announcing the race. I tell him the quote, and he loves it. He quickly proclaims over the Coliseum PA ' [so-and-so] exemplifies the Ancient Greek saying - if you endure the struggle, you bring honor to yourself, but more importantly, you bring honor to us all." The crowd cheers, the guys finishes. The next day, the LA Times tells the story, and uses the Greenspan quote in it.

Two days later, Zeke and I bump into Bud in the press box and tell him the story and he laughs. I then ask him, curiously, because I did not know, "Do you know the name of the Ancient Greek that actually said that?"

Bud - "Oh that? I made it up."

Zeke and I roared - today we would have been FOTFLOAO

Comment

Bud Greenspan did more than any other human to make the Olympics visible and visceral to billions. I love the voice of the announcer. Anybody know who he is/was? O.K. just googled it: Dave Perry; Greenspan's brother??? Apparently he uses the mother's maiden name!! Apparently ABC wanted to use another announcer!!!http://articles.latimes.com/1987-12-...ud-greenspan/2

Comment

Working...
                              X