Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pego
    Even Marlow knows what the little boys look like, what the little girls look like :wink: . With the available information, I suspect, her vagina is short and probably dead-ended, not suitable for sex. Since there are no ovaries, I doubt, there would be a uterus present.
    LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA - I'M NOT LISTENING!!!! **SHUDDER**

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Since it's now coming out that there have been past cases, and people who were asked to cease their careers, obviously quietly, I'd say the IAAF has handled these situations well in the past, but obviously got blind-sided on this one.
      I suspect the past cases were of relatively low-profile athletes, who could have been disappeared from the scene without anybody taking much notice. Now, even without the whole media frenzy in Berlin, do you think if Semenya never competed again after the WCh gold, nobody would ask any questions?

That being said, I think I can guess the names of two of the women referred to who were asked to retire.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

pego, but if the testis are internal, does that automatically make her a male? i thought there were cases of "functional" males with ovaries and "functional" females with internal testis.

TD, shut your mouth, before you know all the facts. you just don't learn, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
          pego, but if the testis are internal, does that automatically make her a male? i thought there were cases of "functional" males with ovaries and "functional" females with internal testis.

TD, shut your mouth, before you know all the facts. you just don't learn, do you?
          If you have two sets of gonads, one better developed than the other, you can choose. This does not seem to be such case. The article states that she has testes but no ovaries. Since she has a high testosterone level, those testes are obviously quite functional. If you could make Yvonne Buschbaum, a biological female, into a male, this seems like a child's play in today's level of reproductive surgery. She is still quite young, I am almost willing to bet that she could even reproduce as a male.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

:?

You talking to me? :lol:

Um...player, you done lost your mind.

Stick to the thread topic before I put you in check.
            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Of course at this point we are making the assumption that the info given in the article is correct, since we have nothing else to go by. Under this assumption, TD is right, it does seem cut and dried to me as well.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

If you have two sets of gonads, one better developed than the other, you can choose. This does not seem to be such case. The article states that she has testes but no ovaries. Since she has a high testosterone level, those testes are obviously quite functional. If you could make Yvonne Buschbaum, a biological female, into a male, this seems like a child's play in today's level of reproductive surgery. She is still quite young, I am almost willing to bet that she could even reproduce as a male.
                So, would this set of circumstances have a hereditary component?
                If reproduction were possible, would offspring have an increased possibility or probability of presenting with similar conditions (for lack of a better word).

Comment

Originally posted by rasb

So, would this set of circumstances have a hereditary component?
                  If reproduction were possible, would offspring have an increased possibility or probability of presenting with similar conditions (for lack of a better word).
                  These are questions well beyond the level of information provided at this time.
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

People need to learn some biology. There's more to making functioning sperm (reproductive functioning) than just testicles. So internal testicles are probably not viable. There's no "immediate' health risk, although undescended and latent testicles do have a high probability of becoming cancerous, but even that's just a probability. Whether or not any of this is relevant will depend on the accuracy and veracity of the unnamed 'source' leaking this information from the IAAF.

I recommende the works of Anne Fausto-Sterling and Alice Domurat-Dreger to help with your thinking in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by jenjen8765
                      People need to learn some biology.
                      Thank you, jenjen8765. Would you recommend a school for me?
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Dang, Pego. ! If I may interject a typical TV interviewer question, how does it feel to have an entire medical career invalidated.?

Comment

Who needs school (said somewhat facetiously, since I am actually a professor)? Start with wikipedia, and then get into the scientific literature. Even rocket science isn't rocket science if you're willing to slog through it, and this isn't rocket science.

Comment

I don't think it's fair to assume she would ever have any desire to change genders. She's a tomboy, not a girly girl, that doesn't mean she wants to BE a man.

Comment

A pox on ASA for 'managing' this horrible state of affairs

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                                Originally posted by gh
                                Since it's now coming out that there have been past cases, and people who were asked to cease their careers, obviously quietly, I'd say the IAAF has handled these situations well in the past, but obviously got blind-sided on this one.
                                I suspect the past cases were of relatively low-profile athletes, who could have been disappeared from the scene without anybody taking much notice. Now, even without the whole media frenzy in Berlin, do you think if Semenya never competed again after the WCh gold, nobody would ask any questions?

That being said, I think I can guess the names of two of the women referred to who were asked to retire.
                                Can we rule out the biggest upset of 2008/2009? Not retiring, but surgery.
                                Certain seem to be, that the IAAF apparantly would deal with the issue of taking away the doubts around gender that arose after the sudden performance RISE etc. Her trainer, however, wouldn't or couldn't confirm (private matter) whether the IAAF did or did not deal with that issue. The dramatic decline this year could be the direct result of surgery.

Comment

Working...
                                X