Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were you on Sept 11, 2001?

This day 8 years ago I was in Stephens Dorm, waiting to go for my 11:00 class. My 2-Way pager kept going off like crazy about the twin towers being knocked down. I thought it was a chain message so I didn't pay any attention to it, then I turn on the news...........................

Just had a long discussion with my seniors (who were in 4th grade at the time). Most said they had clue what the significance was at the time. I remember my first reaction was, 'Why do they hate us so much that they're willing to kill so many innocent people and themselves?' I haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      I remember my first reaction was, 'Why do they hate us so much that they're willing to kill so many innocent people and themselves?' I haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet.
      Read about one of the early thinkers of the Muslim Brotherhood here and it might lead to some understanding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyid_Qutb

Comment

I was in the middle of my first or second period class when I got a call from my wife. I'd had no idea what was going on until she explained it.

It was the most bizarre thing -- students DID NOT discuss it during class. All of them knew what was going on, no one talked about it.

The next day we had a fire drill about 5 minutes after school started (more likely a bomb threat). Usually getting the students to move as they are supposed to is a bit of a hassle, but not that day. Everyone went quickly and quietly and in an orderly fashion, and moved as far away from the school building as permitted.

Comment

This hits home for scott and I.

In fact just a couple of weeks ago the State of Texas made 9/11 a holiday for firefighters. They still gotta go to work, obviously, and there is no additional pay. Just a recognition thing.

Anway...

I was on duty that day. At the time an 17 year veteran of a large metropolitan fire department.

9/11/2001 was my second day back in fire operations after spending a year over the Office of Employee Standards. I was a fire captain at a busy double company hazmat satellite station. During shift change breaking news came over the T.V. that a plane had (accidentally?) hit one of the towers.

As we all stood and watched live in total shock, cameras picked up a second plane headed for the second tower. Of course we all realized even before impact that this was no accident and that something was terribly wrong. I squeezed my coffee cup so hard I nearly broke it. We were under attack! The rest of that shift was spent responding and trying to gather info from the media.

Beyond that day...

I can't begin to tell you how my world and that of my peers changed at that moment. Thousands of innocent victims and the 343 brave firefighters among other emergency personnel perished because of a senseless act of hate.

Even as far away from NY as Texas, people were in all out schizo mode. 911 calls in the next several weeks to months would balloon because of panic. Especially after the anthrax attacks. For example, little old ladies living alone on dead end streets afraid to open their mail because they think they see white powder on it ...so they'd call 911 and tie up the system.

I remember watching on TV as politicians, entertainers, athletes, etc...were all praying openly with no one protesting it and being solemn and pledging unity in our country. Politicians avoiding bipartisan stances for a change and temporarily working together.

Well, that last paragraph wore off didnt it? At least until the next attack.
          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Thanks TrackDaddy. Public safety staff doesn't get nearly enough recognition.

Me, I was just starting a teaching day - 11th and 12th graders in US History and Civics classes. I just turned on the TV and we watched, dumbfounded, with occasional stops to try to answer questions or clarify what was happening.

About mid-morning, we got a memo from our school district administration that staff should not allow students to watch TV because it might be upsetting to them. Of course, I ignored the memo... I was dealing with 16-17 year-olds on the most dramatic turning-point day since JFK's assassination and I was supposed to ignore the most compelling breaking news of their lives!

So we watched and talked in a state of shock, and every hour 30 kids would leave and a new bunch of kids would arrive and do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              we got a memo from our school district administration that staff should not allow students to watch TV because it might be upsetting to them. Of course, I ignored the memo... I was dealing with 16-17 year-olds on the most dramatic turning-point day since JFK's assassination and I was supposed to ignore the most compelling breaking news of their lives!
              So we watched and talked in a state of shock, and every hour 30 kids would leave and a new bunch of kids would arrive and do the same.
              Good for you. That's exactly what happened to me and I had the same response.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                I remember my first reaction was, 'Why do they hate us so much that they're willing to kill so many innocent people and themselves?' I haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet.
                Have you ever heard of what the CIA calls blowback?

Actually, I was sleeping when it happened, having just got off from work at 6:00 A.M. At about 10:30, I woke up to my radio and heard some stuff about the Pentagon being on fire. Then a few minutes later I heard talk about planes missing. And then finally I heard something about the White being evacuated. At that point, I got out of bed and decided to call to someone who had been awake to see what was going on. And that's when I found out about the towers. Only then did I turn on the TV at which point I finally began to get a picture of the horror that had visited us.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                  Thanks TrackDaddy. Public safety staff doesn't get nearly enough recognition.
                  Thank you. I feel the same way about teachers.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I had arrived on the red-eye from Seattle about 1 am, got to bed about 4am, was sleeping when my daughter called me to turn on the TV. Watched the second plane hit live.
                    My grandson, a NYU freshman, was going to breakfast a half mile north of the towers, saw the first plane hit, ducked in a drug store, bought a disposable camera, got several not technically great but memorable photos of the second plane hit and building collapse before retreating ahead of the dust cloud.

Comment

I was not a true rookie, but still my crew's rookie, so I was at the station early doing chores. The on-duty engine was out, and my crew hadn't arrived to I was alone. I had no idea. My wife called and said "Are you watching TV?" I wasn't, so I turned it on. This was minutes before the second plane hit. :shock:

There were no words for me. When my crew arrived we went about our day in a strange angry haze. It was truly awful. Those guys in NYC are absolute heros. To this day I still can't properly put into thought or words what they must have gone through, and what their families have endured. To this day I haven't watched any of the movies or shows concerning that day.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

We were driving home to central Wisconsin from our daughter's place in the southeast Chicago suburbs. While heading north on I-294, the radio program was interrupted by a North Tower hit. From then on, it was just like a bad nightmare. At that time, the fourth plane was still heading west and they speculated on the Sears Tower to be the target.

Yes TrackDaddy, Scott, thanks from all of us.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I was living in NY at the time. Still trying to forget some of the horrifying mental images of that day. :cry:
                          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

I was in my then home and office in an apartment on the 28th floor of a midtown high rise. I was napping on my couch waiting for my morning e-mail to download when I was awakened at about 8:45 by the very unusual sound of a jet flying very low seemingly right over my building. I went back to my e-mail, and started to make some phone calls making sure everyone was in place for a project we were doing in Houston that day.

While I was on the phone I began to get increasingly aggravated by all of the sirens I was hearing down in the street that were making it hard to hold a conversation. I remember thinking that someone must've had a big auto accident on the FDR Drive or something.

At about 9:45 I received a call from an old friend in Connecticut who I hadn't seen or heard from in several months. "Are you all right?" she asked me in what sounded like breathless panic. "Yes, of course I'm all right, how are you?" I responded. Then she said "Don't you know what's going on?" "No" "Well, turn on your TV quickly."

So, I went over and turned on the TV and saw the unreal-looking scene of the World Trade Center heavily damaged and enveloped in smoke. Then I raised my head to look out the south-facing windows behind the TV and saw the massive cloud of smoke and dust rising in the distance before me, all too real.

We lost several clients that day. One of our clients' offices were right on the floor where the second plane hit. A friend who worked in a building across the street from the WTC showed up at my apartment dust-covered and slightly bloodied to have a rest and a drink on her long walk uptown to her home (all transit services had been stopped). Our company was called in to provide interpreting services to the survivors they expected to rescue from the rubble, only there were none, so our people interpreted for the family death councilors instead.

Comment

Sick and couldn't sleep so I got up and turned the TV on. Saw the CNN report on the first crash and being morbidly fascinated by aviation incidents kept watching. Horrified to see the second plane crash live and unashamedly wept.

Comment

Working...
                              X