This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    TrackDaddy, please tell me that you aren't one of those folks who believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. :?
    What's in it for me?

Okay I will if you'll tell me that you're not one of those people who don't. :P Context is important. Some things are literal and some aren't. After all, its an ancient text.

I take what should be taken literally literally, and what I shouldnt I don't. Just as I do with any source. This one doesnt need to be managed any differently.

You either believe it or you don't.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
      Originally posted by lonewolf
      In the unlikely event that I have one or two "friends" left on this forum, I am going to stay out of this one.
      I still consider you a friend (if you'll have me for one, of course :wink. I am also staying out of this, primarily because quite a few intelligent posts are trying to tell TD, what absurd position he claims to represent. I've been through this with him before and there is no amount of evidence that would change his mind. His oft reply is that there is "no evidence" :shock: .
      Is this sort of like the whole "proven hypothesis" thingy?

Gotcha. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        I take what should be taken literally literally, and what I shouldnt I don't. Just as I do with any source. This one doesnt need to be managed any differently.
        Darrow and Bryan covered that one too.

Q--You have given considerable study to the Bible, haven't you, Mr. Bryan?
        A--Yes, sir, I have tried to.
        Q--Then you have made a general study of it?
        A--Yes, I have; I have studied the Bible for about fifty years, or sometime more than that, but, of course, I have studied it more as I have become older than when I was but a boy.
        Q--You claim that everything in the Bible should be literally interpreted?
        A--I believe everything in the Bible should be accepted as it is given there: some of the Bible is given illustratively. For instance: "Ye are the salt of the earth." I would not insist that man was actually salt, or that he had flesh of salt, but it is used in the sense of salt as saving God's people.
        Q--But when you read that Jonah swallowed the whale--or that the whale swallowed Jonah-- excuse me please--how do you literally interpret that?
        A--When I read that a big fish swallowed Jonah--it does not say whale....That is my recollection of it. A big fish, and I believe it, and I believe in a God who can make a whale and can make a man and make both what He pleases.
        Q--Now, you say, the big fish swallowed Jonah, and he there remained how long--three days-- and then he spewed him upon the land. You believe that the big fish was made to swallow Jonah?
        A--I am not prepared to say that; the Bible merely says it was done.
        Q--You don't know whether it was the ordinary run of fish, or made for that purpose?
        A--You may guess; you evolutionists guess.....
        Q--You are not prepared to say whether that fish was made especially to swallow a man or not?
        A--The Bible doesn't say, so I am not prepared to say.
        Q--But do you believe He made them--that He made such a fish and that it was big enough to swallow Jonah?
        A--Yes, sir. Let me add: One miracle is just as easy to believe as another
        Q--Just as hard?
        A--It is hard to believe for you, but easy for me. A miracle is a thing performed beyond what man can perform. When you get within the realm of miracles; and it is just as easy to believe the miracle of Jonah as any other miracle in the Bible.

His oft reply is that there is "no evidence" :shock: .
        Gotcha. :roll:
        Pego, not in the bible, not on my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          TD, it is with deep regret that I must inform you now that all the Kool Points you earned in SR's shout-out have now been used up, and you're on your own, buddy.
          That Nazi reference, even with the cute emoticon, put you deep in the hole. Your only hope is for SR to dedicate 21010 to you and then break the 400 (and 200) record. Short of that, you're in a rapidly diminishing position.
          I'm hearbroken and crushed.

The Nazi reference came from the link provided at the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Darrow and Bryan covered that one too.
            What's your point?

Comment

Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

The really cool thing about your position, TD, is that you can NEVER be wrong, because all you have to say is that 'miracles happen' and then whatever position you take on ANY subject is just the result of a miracle. No logic necessary EVER. BRILLIANT!!!

Comment

I guess, that says something about the "Christian perspective", if it really is that. Not one of those statements about Darwin is remotely correct. Ben Stein, in his attempt to a movie, tried the same approach and was widely demolished even by many conservative and Christian media outlets.
                  Pego

I didnt write the quote, it came from the article linked at the top of the page. The Christian perspective is broad since the degree of one's faith is independent of others.

The reason I'm glad it was in the article is that the overall theme of the article is to present the position that it is somehow less intelligent to not believe in Darwin's flawed thesis.

I believe its important for people to know that many don't hold him in high esteem.

Comment

TD, is it possible that evolution IS His Intelligent Design?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      The really cool thing about your position, TD, is that you can NEVER be wrong, because all you have to say is that 'miracles happen' and then whatever position you take on ANY subject is just the result of a miracle. No logic necessary EVER. BRILLIANT!!!
                      Show me where I've said anything remotely close to this. My position has consistently been that the EVIDENCE to prove the (acknowledged) THEORY doesnt exist.

There is ZERO evidence that man evolved from anything other than another man. If you have evidence to the contrary in the form of transitional fossils would you please share them with the class?

But since WE KNOW you don't I suppose you'll continue to make things up and assign them to me.

Comment

My position has consistently been that the EVIDENCE to prove the (acknowledged) THEORY doesnt exist.
                        More evidence you don't understand science.

I have no problem with the Bryan's of this world but please don't come out swinging.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss.
                          Is this how you quantify your theory? :P

Comment

Ignorance is bliss.
                            Is this how you quantify your theory?
                            Your representation of it.

Comment

My position has consistently been that the EVIDENCE to prove the (acknowledged) THEORY doesnt exist.
                              More evidence you don't understand science.

I have no problem with the Bryan's of this world but please don't come out swinging.
                              That isnt evidence of anything other than your desire to play with words. :roll:

Stop changing the subject and show me fossilized evidence of man transitioning.

Comment

Now, now, TD and Daisy. Can't we all get along? :P

Comment

Working...
                                X