Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm all for treating employees fairly, but...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm all for treating employees fairly, but...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... stice.html

This one leaves me just shaking my head.

What if it rains during my vacation to Yosemite? Do I get those days back too? Give me a break. What a stupid rule.

Comment

I wonder if this will cause British companies will follow the lead of many US companies that have quit differentiating between sick and vacation time and instead just have Paid Time Off days. Want a vacation? Don't be sick.

Comment

Hello Mexico as companies pick up and move to other lands. Incredibly stupid. Are we next?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
          I wonder if this will cause British companies will follow the lead of many US companies that have quit differentiating between sick and vacation time and instead just have Paid Time Off days. Want a vacation? Don't be sick.
          Yeah, we did that 25 years ago... here's your chunk of days, use them as you see fit. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Yeah, we did that 25 years ago... here's your chunk of days, use them as you see fit. End of story.
            That's the way it should be. I haven't taken a single sick day in 8 years at "career" positions. Granted, there are plenty of benefits to never getting anything worse than a cold, but I want one more darnit!

Comment

I have the same right at my job now. If I'm sick while on vacation I have the right to change VL to SL.

I always thought it was a nice little perk (that rarely comes up - I've never done it in 10 years) but didn't think it was that big of a deal. The strong reactions here are surprising.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                It makes some sense from the employer's point of view, but it can cause people to come to work with pneumonia in order to save vacation days.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  It makes some sense from the employer's point of view, but it can cause people to come to work with pneumonia in order to save vacation days.
                  Not if the employer sets it up correctly. I worked at a firm that just gave you 10 days total of PTO. It sucked and everybody came to work sick. Another firm gave 20 days first year and the standard schedule was 4 9-hour days & a 1/2 day Friday so you could have appointments during the week without burning time.

The current place I work keeps it separate and gives you 6 weeks of sick time annually (no roll over to the next year). They did the math and it was cheaper to give everyone that amount of time instead of paying for short term disability insurance (to cover 6 weeks) since very few employees ever use it.

Comment

At least where I work no one would care either way. We get sick days, we get vacation days. If you are off on vacation and get sick, and want to change the time sheet from vacation to sick, not an issue. (Never even thought of doing it, though.) Now if it is an official holiday (say Thanksgiving) then you cannot get sick, switch to sick time and then bank the holiday for a later time.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I work'd for a major corporation where salaried employees were given 30 days total to use how they sought to. It worked out pretty well. I wouldn't mind going back to that option given the fact, I blow through my vacation days fairly quickly.

Comment

What is this "vacation" and "sick leave" of which you speak? I have been "self unemployed", as we say, for about forty years. Fresh out of college, I was in the Army for a couple of years. I don't remember what the sick leave-vacation policy was. Does the military even have sick leave or vacation?

Next, I spent 18 years as a salaried employee in a corporate environment. Again, I don't think I ever knew what the "days off" policy was. I do not remember ever being sick enough to miss work but ,since I was pretty much on call 24/7/365 (366 in leap years), nobody seemed to keep track of how many hours/days I did or did not work but I can assure you, I worked a lot more hours than 40/52. I am sure I took days off but don't remember taking a planned, scheduled vacation in that 18 years.

Didn't matter. Survived a merger and two sales. Then I didn't.

I had a pretty cushy job. I was originally hired by a kinda "family " corporation (not my family) with considerable individual autonomy to make it or hang yourself, and had never had an employment contract. After the second sale, a very polished guy, with an employment contract, from the NYC office of the buyer showed up in Fort Worth and wanted to play Texas oil man from my chair. I got high praise for past performance and received what could only be generously described as a "lead" parachute.

The good news: The first well I drilled on my own hit and the first year on my own, I paid more in taxes than I had been earning in salary.

I don't understand people who bitch about taxes. I love paying taxes. I don't always (ever?) approve of what the government does with my tax money but having been poor and not poor, I choose not poor. Paying lots of taxes means you earned lots of money. You always have more left than if you (legally) paid no taxes

BTW, my replacement lasted six months..but his parachute was "golden".

Comment

I don't mean to brag, but since 1962 when I graduated from the med. school, I never missed a day of work due to sickness. Semi-retired the past 6 years.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

My school district has significant financial incentives for us not to use sick leave. We get a "Christmas bonus" of one day's pay if we have 150 sick days accumulated (that's 10 years worth). At retirement, we get paid 70% of unused days. The school district comes out ahead for not paying subs, the students come out ahead for not having subs, and we get a big chunk of money. Everyone's happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                              I don't mean to brag, but since 1962 when I graduated from the med. school, I never missed a day of work due to sickness. Semi-retired the past 6 years.
                              As a cowboy said once, 'No brag, just fact." We have sick hours accumlated to a max of 80 hours. I have the max saved although usual miss 1 or 2 days a year, back goes out or bad cold. We have been told that those who dont use sick days will get a better review from management.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X