Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a list of un-PC California High School matchups:

(Carpinteria) Warriors vs. Warriors (Tehachapi)

(Gahr) Gladiators vs. Holy Martyrs (Armenian High School)

(El Toro) Toros vs. Matadors (Bolsa Grande)

(Cabrillo) Conquistadors vs. Aztecs (Azusa)

(St. Bonaventure) Seraphs vs. Sun Devils (Apple Valley)

(Cajon) Cowboys vs. Indians (Palm Springs)

(LA Wilson) Mules vs. Burros (Ridgecrest Burroughs)

(Kennedy) Fighting Irish vs. Fighting Scots (Rim of the World)

(Mission Viejo) Diablos vs. Saints (Santa Ana)

(Artesia) Pioneers vs. Apaches (Arcadia)

(Sun Valley) Crusaders vs. Sheiks (Hollywood)

(Los Angeles) Romans vs. Sultans (Sultana)

(Anaheim) Colonists vs. Braves (Lompoc)

(Beverly Hills) Normans vs. Saxons (Loara)

(Diamond Bar) Brahmas vs. Rajahs (Indio)

(Tustin) Tillers vs. Toilers (Manual Arts)

(Pomona) Red Devils vs. Heralds (Whittier Christian)

(Rancho Alamitos) Vaqueros vs. Broncos (Banning)

(Mater Dei) Monarchs vs. Democrats (LA Jefferson)

(Coachella Valley) Arabs vs. Moors (Alhambra)

(Servite) Swordsmen vs. Fighting Lancers (Whittier Christian)

(LA Hamilton) Yankees vs. Rebels (Miller HS, Fontana)

(Santa Barbara) Dons vs. Aztec Eagles (Animo, Englewood)

(de la Hoya Animo) Boxers vs. Sailors / aka Tars, Popeyes (Newport Harbor)

(Taft, Woodland Hills) Toreadors vs. Barristers (LA Marshall)

(Huntington Beach) Oilers vs. Tarbabes (Compton)

Comment

I spectated the 5th annual Redman Triathlon in Oklahoma City Saturday.
      Over 1000 participants, all eager to get a Redman Finisher T-shirt. No know complaints about the name. In fact, it used to be the Oklahoma City Triathlon, or somethng equally unimaginative.
      It rained all morning for swim and most of bike , then sun came out and got hot for the run.
      BTW, the male winner was 47 years old, around 9 hours for full triathlon. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run.

Comment

Not being indian I wouldn't dare suggest to someone what is or isnt offensive to them. The bottom line is that as long as certain people are considered "novelties" by virture of their existence/heritage, then being taken seriously as human beings largely remains out of the question.

Its hard to understand the negative social effects of this type of imagery unless you're on the wrong end of it. For example to suggest or compare negative minority imagery with Irish references shows a lack of understanding regarding the substantive issue. While its true that the association made with those of Irish descent and fighting isnt a positive one, its perpetrated by the dominant culture of which they are teamed. Not so with indians, blacks, hispanics, etc.

Who's to say at what point something becomes offensive if the target of the imagery can't? Indians aren't warriors or savages today anymore than I'm a slave or you're an old west pioneer. And they as people aren't extinct historical figures only existing in textbooks or cave drawings. They're IMPORTANT people just like you and me. If there's a painful negative association with a given term or if its perceived as being less than beneficial to the current social agenda, then isn't it worth letting go of your mascot name for the sake of harmony?

You can't be the Indians or Redskins anymore than you can be the Negroes or the Red Necks or the Coons, etc.

The bottom line I suppose is having the proper historical perspective with a little empathy sprinkled in.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AmtMLePupkk/S ... chbook.jpg
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Of course I agree that there are tons of nuances involved with controversies over stereotypical mascot or team names. And the sorting out process of who will be offended and who won't, and more importantly, who will be actually harmed and who won't is incredibly complex.

It strikes me that nearly any team name involves some sort of ethnic, social, cultural, religious or political stereotyping. The Fighting Irish may not be offensive to many, but evoking the image of a little green leprechaun grasping a bottle of booze might be an anathema to some folks. Are we left with only flora and fauna names? Anteaters, Aardvarks and Sequoias (oops, no, that is another Native American reference)?

Me, I just don't care much one way or another. In educational settings I've found that controversies over athletic nicknames only distract time, emotion and $$$$ from classroom pursuits. In the small town where I taught the school district budget got hit for tens of thousands of dollars in costs and if the changes actually happen, tens of thousands more to remove possibly offensive imagery. Lawsuits have been threatened all-around since some of the public artworks meet criteria to be protected as historical landmarks.

Point is, this sort of issue is not clear cut. And I have seen people in the same family with the same genetic credentials as Native Americans violently (yes, really violently) disagreeing with one another over such things. There are a lot of social issues that need fixing and personally, I wouldn't rate this one very high on a list of priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
            Are we left with only flora and fauna names?
            Ah yes, the mighty, mighty UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!!

Comment

Couldn't the redskins become the "Lobbyists"?

Comment

Morely likely the "Snyders".

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                  In some circles, this would be more offensive than Redskins

Comment

I usually refer to them as the "Landover Politically Incorrects". Columnist Gregg Easterbrook calls them the "Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons" or "Nanticokes".

I suppose they could revert back to their original name: "Braves". It's somewhat less offensive. Better yet, how about "Lone Stars". The ensuing controversy would certainly turn up the heat on their already incendiary rivalry with the Arlington Cowpies.

Comment

Here is a list of un-PC California High School matchupsTaft, Woodland Hills) Toreadors vs. Barristers (LA Marshall)
                      Go Barristers!!!!!

Comment

Compton High Tarbabes?

I had to look that one up...lol

Believe it or not they used to be the Lions.

Comment

When I was in school at Tustin High, Laguna Beach teams were called Artists. Both schools were in the Orange League so every year there were about a dozen match ups in various sports between the Tillers and the Artists. In 10th grade I lost the league high jump championship to an Artist whose first name was Zero. Zero Wheeler.

Comment

When I was in school at Tustin High, Laguna Beach teams were called Artists. Both schools were in the Orange League so every year there were about a dozen match ups in various sports between the Tillers and the Artists. In 10th grade I lost the league high jump championship to an Artist whose first name was Zero. Zero Wheeler.
                            You lost the high jump to an artist named Zero Wheeler??? OMG, your counselling bills must have been horrendous Did the State pick up the tab or not ?

Comment

I barely got any consolation at all !!!
                              In fact, Zero was the most sympathetic about me losing

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                                Originally posted by Daisy
                                In some circles, this would be more offensive than Redskins

Washington could keep the nickname while sidstepping the race issue. Simply eliminate all Indian/Native American aspects and embrace the body-tanning sub-culture.

Maybe Zonker Harris as the mascot...

["We who are about to fry salute you!"]

Comment

Working...
                                X