Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Triathlon Championships

I just watched the replay of the World Tri. Championships, which took place in Australia last weekend. The running in the Men's event was of a calibre not seen before. Brownlee, of Great Britain, ran 29:04 after his 1500 metre swim, and his 40 K. bike. And I think he's only 21 or 22. He is an amazing athlete, and a great runner. You can bet London/2012 is already trying to figure how to maximize his potential. If he goes into the Games healthy, and favoured, the crowds following the event will be off the top of the charts in numbers. You heard it here first ....

Re: World Triathlon Championships

Originally posted by rasb
    You heard it here first ....
    Nope, you heard it here first.

Comment

Here, here....Or hear, hear....or whatever...
      I saw Brownlee close up at the Worlds in Vancouver in June of 2008, and he is a big-league runner. (and he can swim and cycle a bit too). But, in his own words, if someone told him a year ago that he would win 5 or 6 of the Top Tri's in the World this year, including the World Champs., and being ranked # 1 in the World, he would have told them to "get lost". Seems like a nice chap, for a Brit....

Comment

fyi-
        Triathlon running routes are not measured with the same degree of accuracy as roadrace courses. Think they are only required to be within 10% of stated distance, so of course, they are always short (to keep competitors happy).

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
          fyi-
          Triathlon running routes are not measured with the same degree of accuracy as roadrace courses. Think they are only required to be within 10% of stated distance, so of course, they are always short (to keep competitors happy).
          FYI, Yes I know that well, Bruce. This course was said to be an accurate 10 K. Simon Whitfield, who I have been at workouts with, and is an excellent runner in road and cross-country races, was 45 seconds behind Brownlee on the run at the Worlds, so Brownlee is full value, in my opinion. And some runs are long, to meet the specific demands of the course layout.

Comment

Brownlee's 10k road PB is 29:35 which he recorded this year at the Great Manchester Run. The course was specially remeasured after a few alterations, so can reasonably be assumed to be accurate! So he gots the goods, as someone somewhere must say.

Comment

I would think Brownlee can run at least 28:30 for a 10K, and maybe quite a bit faster. I mean just the run, without the swim/bike warmup, and tapered and on a fast course. Low 28's would not be out of the question.
              It is interesting to watch some of the top endurance athletes from many countries "migrate" towards the Triathlon. And I think we are still on the cutting edge of that movement. There are an increasing number of areas in Canada where the leading high school distance runners are actually developing as Triathletes. I suspect countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Germany, United Kingdom, etc., are noticing the same trend.

Comment

Well, Brownlee has beaten a few guys from Britain who you'd expect (if they'd stop moaning about having to run 100mpw+ weeks) to hit 28:30 at some point in their careers. From what I've read about Brownlee though is that he really enjoys having the 3 disciplines, as opposed to just concentrating on the running.

There could be an argument to be made that the cycling and swimming might help his running though! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
                  Well, Brownlee has beaten a few guys from Britain who you'd expect (if they'd stop moaning about having to run 100mpw+ weeks) to hit 28:30 at some point in their careers. From what I've read about Brownlee though is that he really enjoys having the 3 disciplines, as opposed to just concentrating on the running.

There could be an argument to be made that the cycling and swimming might help his running though! :wink:
                  Actually, I am one of those who believes that "runners" can improve considerably with an intelligent blend of non-running activities.
                  The sub-text is the interesting part though. Brownlee is already a World Champion, a hero, likely a millionaire or soon to be, probably already set for life financially, at age 21 or so. If he were a mere 28 minute 10 K. runner, he would be none of the above, not even close. The choice for a large number of non-African endurance athletes is changing quickly.

Comment

Working...
                  X