Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston is easy. Get a rental car and the insurance. Thumb your nose at the locals and stick that hood ornament in any space that looks big enuff. Be agressive and make eye contact with a glare like you're deranged. Oh, and do not forget those hand gestures, specially the solo digit one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rye Catcher
      Boston is easy. Get a rental car and the insurance. Thumb your nose at the locals and stick that hood ornament in any space that looks big enuff. Be agressive and make eye contact with a glare like you're deranged. Oh, and do not forget those hand gestures, specially the solo digit one.
      Boston driving is nuts. No one follows any rules. When I lived there and out on a run. I would always assume drivers would run a red light. And I was almost always right.

Despite the driving, a great town though. The T is great and everyone should run the Fresh Pond race at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        So what do you do when you have to park on the street?
        Surely it can't be harder than landing on a rinky dink, ice covered, runway in Iceland?
        I would put the two experiences on a par. When I'm done parallel parking, it typically looks like I have double-parked.

Comment

Ive had the extreme pleasure of being in a Friday rush hour traffic jam in Boston and Los Angeles. I think because of Boston's tighter quarters the beantown jam was more compressed, more hideous.
          phsstt!

Comment

Driving in Boston is an interesting adventure, as long as you willfully abandon your sense of rage and frustration (and your sanity). Just expect people to do crazy things, and don't get too worked up about it - and you're usually fine. I find that the only time that I am frustrated is when I get too invested in the act of driving - if you just throw up your hands in the air it's kind of fun.

But I do concur - traffic jams around the area are not great. I make a daily commute back and forth on the Pike (going against the flow, thankfully) and sometimes I'll get stuck in traffic for an hour for no particular reason.

Thank goodness for having lots of music on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              The one fun thing about driving in Britain is the playing of 'English Roulette' (like Russian Roulette but with cars instead of guns). As you approach a roundabout, you guess how fast you can enter, what lanes are available for maneuvering, and how you can get out without killing anyone. I was getting really good at the end of 2 weeks. I'd approach at about 50mph and then zig-zag my way through with horn a-blarin'! What Ugly American??!!
              This may be a redundant question given the use of the phrase "English Roulette", but are you trying to get yourself killed???? Remind me to stick to the tube if you end up coming over here for London 2012.

Mind you, did any of you see that episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson drove a car the route of the London Marathon in rush-hour traffic, racing against a club-level runner who ran it in 2:38 and beat Clarkson by quite a bit of time? I don't think you'd have much of a chance to reach 50mph in Central London.

Comment

Am I the only poster who does not drive at all?
                I have not held a valid drivers license since 1968. I must add it is not by proscription or physical limitation.

Living in NYC makes it easy. No female has ever said If I have to do the driving I am not going to let you take me on vacation. In fact I visited 47of lower48 plus Hawaii with a female at the wheel and in Alaska our guide drove.
                Tom Hyland:
                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

On our UK trip we got brave and rented a car in Scotland. It was so bad, but it was mentally exhausting thinking "backwards" the whole time. After a long road trip in which I did almost nothing but sit, I was more exhausted than a whole day of walking.

Side note - Edinburgh is now one of my favorite cities (in my limited travels). Beautiful place, easy to learn, friendly (enough) folks.
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                    On our UK trip we got brave and rented a car in Scotland. It was so bad, but it was mentally exhausting thinking "backwards" the whole time. After a long road trip in which I did almost nothing but sit, I was more exhausted than a whole day of walking.

Side note - Edinburgh is now one of my favorite cities (in my limited travels). Beautiful place, easy to learn, friendly (enough) folks.
                    Rented a car in Glasgow for 2 weeks and drove around England and Scotland in a manual transmission car. Only scary moment was pulling out of a gas station, I went to the wrong side of the road. It did help that I learned to drive in the mid-fifties with driving on the left and in those days there were few, if any, auto T cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X