Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unassisted triple play

Like the hitting for the cycle thread, guess how many times in MLB history, then check the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play

I did not know unassisted triple plays were quite that rare in MLB.
    I am reminded of my son's unassisted quadruple play (if such a thing were possible) in Little League. Bases loaded, no outs, playing second base caught line drive, stepped on second, tagged runner coming down from first, ran across diamond to double up runner going home from third.

Comment

I guess I just don't know much about Little League rules. I would have thought that after the third out, play ended. Do they allow four outs in LL baseball? That's news to me, but I confess that I don't recall ever seeing a LL game.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        I guess I just don't know much about Little League rules. I would have thought that after the third out, play ended. Do they allow four outs in LL baseball? That's news to me, but I confess that I don't recall ever seeing a LL game.
        No, that is why I said the fourth out was impossible/meaningless.. but the kid was thinking :P

Comment

Both Troy Tulowitzki and John Valentin have an unassisted triple play and have hit for the cycle!

cman

Comment

I know at one point, statistics-wise, the unassisted triple play was the most difficult thing to achieve in baseball.

Comment

"In Major League Baseball, it (an unassisted triple play) is the rarest of individual feats, along with hitting four home runs in one game."

I can think of one that is rarer. Any guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                "In Major League Baseball, it (an unassisted triple play) is the rarest of individual feats, along with hitting four home runs in one game."

I can think of one that is rarer. Any guesses?
                Two inside-the-parkers?
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Nope. Takes more than one game, but not weeks.

Comment

Consecutive no-hitters, as in Johnny Vander Meer.

Comment

This is Eric Bruntlett's (Phillies) game-ending TP against the Mets this year:

http://phillies.fandome.com/video/11475 ... L-history/

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        Consecutive no-hitters, as in Johnny Vander Meer.
                        We have a winner!

Comment

I noticed that two of the unassisted triple plays were made by the first baseman. It takes some really bad base-running for a first baseman to make and unassisted triple play.

Comment

Other MLB rarities...Chan Ho Park gave up two grand slams in the same inning...both to Fernando Tatis! :shock: Bill Mueller hit two grand slams in one game...from both sides of the plate.

cman

Comment

Working...
                            X