X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emoticons

1. Why are they gone?
    2. Did removing them resolve the issue?

Ben turned them off (and made an announcement to that effect at the time) because too many people were being stupid with them again.

Comment

So did removing them resolve the problem, or are people still being stupid??

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Ben turned them off (and made an announcement to that effect at the time) because too many people were being stupid with them again.
        Youz guiz' call, but without them tone is often misinterpreted and people get huffy for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I actually told off my service provider that my internet connection was acting up again. Never stopped me from being stupid in that regard.

Comment

If we all promise not to be stupid, will he turn him on again?

Please.

Pretty please.

Comment

My guess is turning emoticons off will not inherently increase the average IQ of this board.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) :P :evil: :twisted: :wink: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                If we all promise not to be stupid, will he turn him on again?
                Who are you hoping that Ben will turn on?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                  Who are you hoping that Ben will turn on?
                  Mrs. Robinson: "Do you find me undesirable?"
                  Benjamin: "Oh no, Mrs. Robinson. I think...I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends. I mean that."

Comment

The longer they're switched off, the longer people will post messages dotted with random words in colons like ":shock:" "" ":lol:" ":wink:" ":idea:" ":twisted:" ":roll:" ":cry:", etc... which just looks stoopid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                      The longer they're switched off, the longer people will post messages dotted with random words in colons like ":shock:" "" ":lol:" ":wink:" ":idea:" ":twisted:" ":roll:" ":cry:", etc... which just looks stoopid.

Hopefully people will realize how stupid it looks and stop all together. Unlikely, though.

Comment

Isn't there a setting in phpbb that lets you limit the number of smilies per post?

Comment

I'll post a detailed reply on the questions here after I've had a chance to do a little research on options.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                            Isn't there a setting in phpbb that lets you limit the number of smilies per post?
                            I don't know why the number of smileys would be a concern. I think the original reason cited was the use of the rolling eyes emoticon to denote sarcasm or disbelief, which, I thought was its intended purpose.
                            Why not just disable that emoticon if it is the perceived offender?

Comment

There has been quite a bit of valid discussion in the last few weeks about decorum/manners on this Board, but with regard to Ben rescinding emoticons, that is, to use one word only:

RIDICULOUS

Comment

Working...
                              X