Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vip
    I take that back. Marion Jones was driven by money, of course, and also the most enticing carrot of all: Flo Jo's records.

Every female sprinter in track knows that if they get either record, big $$ is coming. The 100 and 200 records are the proverbial twin pots of gold. Can you imagine the bonuses that are tied to those records?

Now we're talking Usain Bolt money.
    Not likely. World's Fastest Woman doesn't have remotely the cachet of WFM; indeed, women just don't get paid as much as men in comparable situations like that.

And in any case, you have to be marketable. Do you recall the airwives being flooded with Tim Montgomery advertisign when he was the WFH? Nah. He had no appeal. Bolt does, he gets unreal money.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
      What I took most from this article was this: Marion Jones not only had lousy taste in men, but she made one bad choice after another.

People say she was this smart, educated woman, yada, yada, yada, but in hindsight, was she really all that smart?
      There are varying degrees of smartness. However, the real culprit was common sense.

You can be the smartest person in the world, but if you don't have or use any common sense regarding various situations (where sense sometimes outweighs how smart one is) you find yourself in then you could be in for a possible rude awakening or rough time.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
        What I took most from this article was this: Marion Jones not only had lousy taste in men, but she made one bad choice after another.

People say she was this smart, educated woman, yada, yada, yada, but in hindsight, was she really all that smart?
        Go search for the tale: Marryin Jones, author is a well-known poster and it has appeared here, I think (or maybe just links), on LetsRun, hunt for malmo. Details multiple bad choices.

Comment

We know this isn't just about Tim cheating in track & field that landed him in jail. Matter of fact if he had only done that, he probably wouldn't be in jail.

Change the name (Montgomery) and insert..............
          Where there's a will, there is way(PED's)...simply a matter of who is next.
          on the road

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
            Sad story.

I wouldn't weep for Montgomery though, he knew what he was doing.

Cautionary....that's correct. Hopefully others can take something from this.

On a side note of interest to me is which of Marion Jones' sons will be faster;

Montgomery's

Thompson's

Given the same training and interest.
            Since Montgomery's son is almost exactly 4 years older, the two of them will probably miss each other in high school and college.

Comment

Working...
            X