Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is Obama gaming the Olympic bidding?

Originally posted by Daisy
    I think Blair did Coe a massive favour last time around. I hope Obama can find time to do the same for Chicago.
    :!: The same happened when Putin appeared at the final home strait when the IOC was to determine where the winter OG 2014 was to be held (Sochi, Russia). When the president/prime minister engages, it affects ...
    Regards
    Basslop

Comment

I'm guessing these were the effects...
      Blair: charmed
      Obama: electrified
      Putin: scared the crap out of them

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        Put your money on Obama.
        So Washington is getting them? :twisted:

Comment

By the way, the
          "2016 Olympic Bid Decision"

on the front page just links back to the front page.

Comment

If Chicago wins with Obama there, he get credit. If it he had not shown up and Chicago won, he'd have looked less influential.

If Chicago losses with Obama there, he takes a political hit, but if it lost without him showing up (especially in a close vote), it would look even worse, and all the Chicago machine would be furious at him.

All in all, it is not a surprise that he made the late decision to go.

Comment

So did Tony Blair set the precedent of heads of state going before the IOC to genuflect?

Comment

Live voting session in about 50 minutes (8:10 Pacific, 11:10 Eastern):

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Olymp ... 016-Games/

Comment

Videos of the four cities' presentations appear to be linked from the T&FN home page now. (But if you watch them all in their entirety, you'll miss the vote.)

Comment

Working...
                  X