Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, its convenient that you chose me. But its all good. You might've been better served picking someone else but hey...I'm suppose I'm as good as anyone. ;-)
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Here's the deal (IMO).

This place started in April 2003 for a clientele similar to that which subscribed to the magazine, which does not specialize in any one group of events or even one aspect of track - so HS, college, and the pros are all given good coverage. And . . . though it is US-oriented, a great deal of time and energy is spent on the int'l circuit, so LOTS of foreign stars are featured too. Ergo, this place is for people who like ALL aspects of track.

Places like Dyestat (HS), TrackShark (college), PoleVaultPower (run by a WOMAN PVer - note erroneous pronoun above), Letsrun (MOSTLY distance people), have a completely different clientele. Due to the owner and principal moderator of this site, it has been primarily older men who have gravitated here. Older men tend to more civil and proper than other demographics, so yes, it has the air of a men's club smoking room (hardly a Jr Hi lunchroom!). But . . . most of the guys here have a good sense of humor, so it is not stuffy at all.

Now, given all of the above, it stands to reason that the composition of a board, any board, would develop a 'personality', And those who do not share that personality would have a 'feeling' of unwelcome. But the 'regulars' here (note that there is no 'ownership' implied - it's simply a matter of who utilizes this place the most regularly) have NOT been unwelcoming - just the opposite. The more the merrier. But when contentious people post contentious material, the board is 'disturbed', so to speak. That's all. No more no less.

Everyone is welcome here (well, with a few exceptions, like me for instance, but I'm too clueless to recognize my persona non grata status!), as long as you play nice(ly). SOME, certainly not all, people have brought the 'personality' of TS here, which, bless its heart, was 'anything goes', but the problem is, as the mods have made clear, anything does NOT go here, so those posters will have to decide whether it's worth the bother to stay here. If TrackNation suits their style better, by all means, go there. That will make everyone here sad (esp. T&FN, which needs all the clientele it can get), so the question is, can those people adapt their style to the new paradigm and 'fit in'? That'd be great!

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        JC sneaks over to TS and picks out a few posts and plants them here to stir the pot. Way to create a positive initial atmosphere, jc. You know jc has a collectors set of spoons.
        Actually, Marlow was the trouble maker who saw the comments. But why make them in the first place? If you don't like the place don't join. It's a but two faced to come in with all smiles and at the exact same time be trash talking in the back ground.

And Daisy, I've personally "tied you in knots" during debate. So don't present yourself as being supremely cerebral to TS folk. No offense but I certainly don't see it that way. That's the very atitude thats been referenced here.
        Of course you don't see it that way. And I was referring to the general problem, not one specific thread.

My attitude? When the presenter can't present a coherent argument the listener is at fault?

Anyway those comments were largely satirical and not so different than the sentiments posed in the other direction. Havent you noticed the comments from Pego and tandf in THIS thread? You think they began feeling that way after TS closed...or before? Those are lifelong sentiments toward certain peeps and I'd argue they're reflective regarding TS/TFN.
        I can't speak for them. But have they been anything but inclusive? How can you guys not see your own negativity and defensiveness? It has been pervasive ever since you arrived. Clearly most peoples patience is far less now. The honeymoon is over and you have decided to find a new home. For the best I'm sure, if not the most desirable outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
          Actually, Marlow was the trouble maker who saw the comments.
          Sigh, can we PLEEEZ bring back the emoticons . . . :wink:

Comment

Daisy what in the world are you talking about? Find one post of mine where I implied anything about being inferior, one post.

Secondly the thread you posted from TrackNation....how do you attribute that to me?

You can think what you will about TrackNation one way or the other, doesn't matter. The present and future of that site does not hinge on you buddy period.
            on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              JC sneaks over to TS and picks out a few posts and plants them here to stir the pot. Way to create a positive initial atmosphere, jc. You know jc has a collectors set of spoons.
              Actually, Marlow was the trouble maker who saw the comments. But why make them in the first place? If you don't like the place don't join. It's a but two faced to come in with all smiles and at the exact same time be trash talking in the back ground.
              Check the date I joined TFN.

I can show you similar comments that I made over here LONG before the demise of TS. Mostly they were in jest associated with humor in an attempt to loosen up the crowd.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And my apology to jc if it was Marlow stirring the pot.
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

And my apology to jc if it was Marlow stirring the pot.
                Double sigh.

Comment

Daisy what is the point of your going over to TrackNation and puliing up quotes there and bringing them here, what's your intent?
                  on the road

Comment

Pego's take seems to be different from yours. He inferred that he (and you) are civil and those not like you...arent.

No?
                    I didn't read Pego's comment that way and I certainly don't feel that way.

But what you're saying is that you appreciate people who can relate to this :

Originally posted by tandfman
                    I don't know about gh, but when I'm in France, I generally drink wine, not beer. And if I'm drinking beer there, it's likely to be Belgian.
                    And not this:

Gladys' and Ron's Chicken and Waffles is still open and have added a new location. May I suggest the Salmon Croquettes, grits and sweet tea?
                    lol

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... 550#603550

See, I'm admittedly different. I want all kinds at my bbq as long as we're all safe. I want my social circle to mirror reality as much as possible. That said, maybe the age range should be limited to adults only...lol.

Thats one of the reasons I like it here. We're all so different; unless you really think about it and then...not really.

I do appreciate you acknowledging that differing ages and cultures have had an affect on the atmosphere here. I believe its acknowledgement has lead to (some degree of) symmetry.
                    Actually, I am sure you and I would get along fine at a barbecue, although if we started talking about cuisine, we might both soon find we didn't have much to talk about. But we would find other things to discuss (mainly track, I assume) and it would be good.

I'm not sure what you mean by having your social circle mirror reality. The reality is that there are more than 2.5 billion people living in China and India, more than one third of the planet's population. None of them are in my social circle. But my social circle does include people of widely different educational and cultural backgrounds. It is also multi-racial and multi-ethnic, although it is not inclusive of every element of the population of my region. I suspect many of us are that way.

Peace!

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman
                      my social circle does include people of widely different educational and cultural backgrounds. It is also multi-racial and multi-ethnic, although it is not inclusive of every element of the population of my region. I suspect many of us are that way.
                      Peace!
                      tandfman, you hippie, you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedfirst
                        Daisy what is the point of your going over to TrackNation and puliing up quotes there and bringing them here, what's your intent?
                        Why did I look? Didn't you invite me?

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                        You wouldn't know, but if you bother to read, polevaultpower just stated he posted there and there are others.
                        Didn't you see the link that starts this thread?

As to my intent, is it not obvious? To rebut the revisionist history that you all choose to be true.

Comment

Working...
                        X