Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit's 3 1960's Bids

Local anger following a summer raid on a "blind pig" put an end to Motown proposals. Too bad too- given that Eddie Tolan, Henry Carr and others were natives (and that the basketball wunderkind of the '68 Games was a '67 Pershing High "Doughboy").

Comment

Interesting that in 1960-64-68, Detroit was a serious candidate.
      How tempus do fugit.

Comment

The sad thing about this new "ambivalence" towards America by the IOC is that there would probably be no Olympic movement if not for the USA, specifically, Los Angeles. Peter Ueberroth, and the Los Angeles games - which produced a $220+million surplus, revived the games and their commercial possibilities. All of this IOC regalia, etc can be owed to American capitalism. (yes, even the tawdry version 12 years later that did not require a dollar of taxpayer money)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Originally posted by bambam
          The Bid Rd1 Rd2 Rd3
          Rio de Janeiro, Brasíl 26 46 66
          Madrid, Spain 28 29 32
          Tokyo, Japan 22 20 --
          Chicago, Illinois, USA 18 -- --

Why don't the rounds add up the same? Typo?

96 votes in rounds 1 & 3, but only 95 in round 2.

Based on this, looks like basically all the Chicago votes went directly to Rio.
          The rounds don't add up for a few reasons.
          1. The IOC members don't have to vote believe it or not.
          2. IOC members can't vote while their country is being voted upon, and the number of IOC members is not uniform (to reflect the changes in each round)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            The Bid Rd1 Rd2 Rd3
            Rio de Janeiro, Brasíl 26 46 66
            Madrid, Spain 28 29 32
            Tokyo, Japan 22 20 --
            Chicago, Illinois, USA 18 -- --

Why don't the rounds add up the same? Typo?

96 votes in rounds 1 & 3, but only 95 in round 2.

Based on this, looks like basically all the Chicago votes went directly to Rio.
            No, IOC members from the four city's countries cannot vote while their city is still in the running. So after round one, the two US Members can vote, and thus the IOC members voting changes after every round. There are also occasional abstentions, and this time there was one vote that was "corrupted" or something by the machine system they use. The votes do not usually add up to the same # in each round.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              Interesting that in 1960-64-68, Detroit was a serious candidate.
              How tempus do fugit.
              Detroit's promo film to the USOC for the 1968 bid:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9uWSNbH ... _embedded#

Comment

Wow! Fantastic film of Detroit circa 1962. They could have had both the Olympics and the World Series in their backyard in 1968! Almost surreal watching it today.

cman

Comment

Detroit's 3 1960's Bids

Surprised they didn't play up their tradition of champions and their local sports heritage, given the fan bases of the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings and others, and the city being the home of Joe Louis and Ray Robinson. Didn't notice any allusion to rapid transit either, though I think the subway was there then.

Latin America was due- riots or no.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    Apparently, Buenos Aires has bid three times.

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgal ... d=14539416
                    There has been rumor going around that Argentina was going to try to bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Since summer for us is winter for them, I assume this would be the first Olympics to be held in May. Did they bid for 2014 (which went to Sochi)?

And who's the favorite for 2020? I would think that Rio makes Africa's chances look much better. I'd bet horse money on Windhoek or Cape Town.

2024? The French will go heavy on this, being the 100th anniversary of Paris' last Olympics. 2028 may be a good time for Philly to try.

Comment

Re: Detroit's 3 1960's Bids

Originally posted by bijanc
                      Surprised they didn't play up their tradition of champions and their local sports heritage, given the fan bases of the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings and others, and the city being the home of Joe Louis and Ray Robinson. Didn't notice any allusion to rapid transit either, though I think the subway was there then.

Latin America was due- riots or no.
                      There has never been a subway in Detroit. And the streetcars had all been removed by the late '50s. Anyway, in those days they'd have been much more likely to show you Detroit's freeways (more freeway mileage than any other city in the U.S. except L.A.). After all, that time was the heyday of freeway building and 2 cars in every garage - and Detroit was the city that brought that lifestyle to you..

Comment

Subway

The reason I was under the impression the city had trains was Hollywood (more specifically, the 1975 film "Cooley High").

They prob. shot those el scenes in Chicago.

Comment

Re: Subway

Monte based the film on his experiences from attending the real-life Cooley Vocational High School (which is no longer standing) that served students from the Cabrini-Green public housing projects in Chicago.
                          Cooley High

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta

There has been rumor going around that Argentina was going to try to bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Since summer for us is winter for them, I assume this would be the first Olympics to be held in May. Did they bid for 2014 (which went to Sochi)?

And who's the favorite for 2020? I would think that Rio makes Africa's chances look much better. I'd bet horse money on Windhoek or Cape Town.

2024? The French will go heavy on this, being the 100th anniversary of Paris' last Olympics. 2028 may be a good time for Philly to try.
                            No offense, CookyMontza, but Windhoek probably can't even afford to bid. The GDP of Namibia (entire country that is) is $13.653 billion (Wikipedia). That is probably less than the current cost of hosting an Olympic Games. The only African cities that could host an Olympic Games are South Africa (Cape Town or Jo-burg) or Cairo.

Comment

I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 Ankara EUR
                              24 Paris EUR
                              28 Capetown AFR
                              32 Los Angeles NAM
                              36 Madrid EUR
                              40 New Delhi ASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.

Comment

Bit more than that - here are the South American bid cities:

Brásilia, Brazil (1/0/0): 2000.
                                Buenos Aires, Argentina (7/0/0): 1936, 1940, 1956EG, 1956OG, 1968, 2004, 2008.
                                Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (7/1/0): 1936, 1940, 1956EG, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016.
                                That's why I wrote "apparently". I suspected it wasn't quite like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X