X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Apparently, Buenos Aires has bid three times.

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgal ... d=14539416
    There has been rumor going around that Argentina was going to try to bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Since summer for us is winter for them, I assume this would be the first Olympics to be held in May. Did they bid for 2014 (which went to Sochi)?

And who's the favorite for 2020? I would think that Rio makes Africa's chances look much better. I'd bet horse money on Windhoek or Cape Town.

2024? The French will go heavy on this, being the 100th anniversary of Paris' last Olympics. 2028 may be a good time for Philly to try.
    No offense, CookyMontza, but Windhoek probably can't even afford to bid. The GDP of Namibia (entire country that is) is $13.653 billion (Wikipedia). That is probably less than the current cost of hosting an Olympic Games. The only African cities that could host an Olympic Games are South Africa (Cape Town or Jo-burg) or Cairo.
    Yeah. I just found that out myself. I never bothered to check out the population (reportedly 2.2 million). I always thought they had far more people, given the size of the country.

Johannesburg? Probably not. Altitude will cramp the distance runners all week.

I don't know about Cairo. What is the weather in Egypt like during the summer?

What are the chances that Lagos might try to muscle in on the 2020 Olympic campaign? There have been quite a few political skirmishes in Nigeria, one of which (a deadly one I might add) cost Abuja the 2002 Miss World Pageant. They moved it to London.

Islam is going to bid big for the 2020s. Dubai is definitely ready, should any other nation step aside. And I would not count out Istanbul. They tried for 2008. If Cairo wants it, I hope the weather cooperates. I read that Alexandria is cooler than Cairo in July and August.

Addendum: There are Web references regarding Durban as a possible S.A. site. What's the altitude there?

Comment

Namibia is actually listed as 233rd out of 238 countries and territories in population density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... on_density

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
        I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 [Ankara] Madrid EUR
        24 Paris EUR
        28 Capetown AFR
        32 Los Angeles NAM
        36 [Madrid] Berlin EUR
        40 [New Delhi] Shanghai/GuangzhouASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.
        -No USA city will have a bid worth mentioning in 4 years and there will never be the level of federal support that the IOC requires (much less a presidential visit)
        -With some European nations being absolutely opposed to Turkey's EU application, I don't think they have a chance in 4 years to get the Olympics.
        - The games are going back to China!

Comment

Addendum: There are Web references regarding Durban as a possible S.A. site. What's the altitude there?

sea level

Comment

I am betting on Dubai in 2020. Then again, with my track record predicting these things...
            This time, I was hoping for Chicago, but Rio was a logical choice :-(.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              Interesting that in 1960-64-68, Detroit was a serious candidate.
              How tempus do fugit.
              In those days, Detroit could serously claim to be the best sports city in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
                Namibia is actually listed as 233rd out of 238 countries and territories in population density.

Canada and Australia are both in the bottom 12, and they've both staged the Games.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  Originally posted by Ned Ryerson

Canada and Australia are both in the bottom 12, and they've both staged the Games.
                  At which point this list is referenced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _%28PPP%29

Every host for the last 50 years has been in the top 35.

Comment

Toronto

Toronto is looking good for the 2015 Pan Ams being voted on soon. Look for the T. to come on for another Olympic bid.

Quebec City is being talked about for the next Canadian winter bid, but I think the emphasis will go to a summer bid next.

I would love to see New Zealand put in a bid. They have hosted successful CWG's. As well, the World Cup will be S.A.'s test but I think it will be a long time before the African continent. Dubai wants them, they will get them. New Delhi is having a hard time getting ready for the next CWG's!

Great thread all.

Comment

Re: Toronto

Originally posted by rayraycanuck
                      I would love to see New Zealand put in a bid.
                      I love NZ, but I doubt if they would be up to the financial or logistical requirements of putting on an OG these days.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

sea level
                        Excellent. So, Cape Town, Durban and possibly Lagos for an Olympics in Africa.

Cairo, Alexandria, Istanbul, Ankara and Dubai for an Olympics in an Islamic city/country. I think we can add Doha, Qatar as well.

For Oceania, someone mentioned New Zealand, no? What's the most populous city there? If I'm not mistaken, much of The Lord of the Rings was filmed in Wellington.

What will it take for New Delhi to get the Olympics? I wonder if the next Commonwealth Games, if successful, will be enough for India to stand a chance.

Comment

[quote=7-sided]
                          Originally posted by "Vault-emort":2rmx2dj1
                          I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 [Ankara] Madrid EUR
                          24 Paris EUR
                          28 Capetown AFR
                          32 Los Angeles NAM
                          36 [Madrid] Berlin EUR
                          40 [New Delhi] Shanghai/GuangzhouASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.
                          -No USA city will have a bid worth mentioning in 4 years and there will never be the level of federal support that the IOC requires (much less a presidential visit)
                          -With some European nations being absolutely opposed to Turkey's EU application, I don't think they have a chance in 4 years to get the Olympics.
                          - The games are going back to China![/quote:2rmx2dj1]
                          If the IOC wants to solve the problem of who and where to stage future Olympics, they need only to apply one rule: The continent that gets an Olympics cannot campaign for the next one. This applies separately for winter or summer bids.

For example, with Rio getting the 2016 Summer Olympics, South America would be exempt from bidding for the 2020 Olympics. With Sochi getting the 2014 Winter Olympics, Europe would be off the board for 2018.

Comment

Cooley High

This is the Cooley H.S. to which I was referring when I thought the film (and thus the subway) was about Michigan teens:

http://detroitcooley.com/

Comment

[quote=CookyMonzta][quote=7-sided][quote="Vault-emort":29o6cxdw]I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 [Ankara] [color=darkred]Madrid [/color]EUR
                              24 Paris EUR
                              28 Capetown AFR
                              32 Los Angeles NAM
                              36 [Madrid] [color=darkred]Berlin [/color]EUR
                              40 [New Delhi] [color=darkred]Shanghai/Guangzhou[/color]ASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.[/quote]
                              - The games are going back to China![/quote]
                              If the IOC wants to solve the problem of who and where to stage future Olympics, they need only to apply one rule: The [i]continent[/i] that gets an Olympics cannot campaign for the next one. This applies separately for winter or summer bids.

For example, with Rio getting the 2016 Summer Olympics, South America would be exempt from bidding for the 2020 Olympics. With Sochi getting the 2014 Winter Olympics, Europe would be off the board for 2018.[/quote:29o6cxdw]

I think there was some unofficial talk of rotating continents for the Summer Games, but how practical is that for the Winter Games? They can only be held in Europe, Asia or North America, correct? I know southern Argentina and Chile get very cold, as do the land along the Andes, but are there cities in these areas that could host them? Maybe a place like Queenstown in southern New Zealand, though that would mean holding the games sometime between May and July, which may throw the majority of winter athletes in the northern hemisphere for a loop.

[url="http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/science/2000/10-19-00.htm"]http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/scie ... -19-00.htm[/url]

Edit: I looked up potential bidders for the 2018 Olympics, and Santiago and Queenstown are listed as potential candidates for 2018/2022.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics

Comment

I can't imagine how a town as small as Queenstown (population a little over 10,000) could host the Winter Games. It's a beautiful place, but not nearly big enough

Comment

Working...
                                X