Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman
    I can't imagine how a town as small as Queenstown (population a little over 10,000) could host the Winter Games. It's a beautiful place, but not nearly big enough
    Squaw Valley - 2,691
    Lake Placid - 2,638
    Albertville - 18,906
    Lillehammer - 25,070

Comment

Good point. But aren't some or all of those in resort areas, or near cities, with substantial hotel capacity? Are there enough hotel rooms in Q'Town? I've been there, and I don't recall there being a lot, but I haven't been there recently, so things might have changed. But IIRC, it's a small town with nothing of any size within a 100 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        Good point. But aren't some or all of those in resort areas, or near cities, with substantial hotel capacity? Are there enough hotel rooms in Q'Town? I've been there, and I don't recall there being a lot, but I haven't been there recently, so things might have changed. But IIRC, it's a small town with nothing of any size within a 100 miles.
        Squaw Valley (also known as Olympic Valley) is a resort spot, and is about 50 miles from Reno, population 217,000.

Lake Placid is about 90 miles from Burlington, population 38,000, and 140 miles from Albany, population 95,000. It's also about 190km from Montreal.

Albertville is about 50km from Chambéry, population 59,000.

Lillehammer is about 30km from Ringsaker, population 31,000, and about 170km from Oslo.

At over 450km to Christchurch, Queenstown is likely more removed from a major population center than any city that has been awarded a Winter Games up to this point. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that there only 4.2 million people in the entire country, fewer than in Sydney. If the NZOC is serious about a bid, they'll certainly have to address these concerns.

Comment

For all the nay-sayers about New Zealand's 2018 Winter Olympics bid, why can't all the spectator attendees and the official athlete's village and whatever else you need space for be located in Australia, and have the actual sports facilities in New Zealand, and jet back and forth on high-speed non-polluting hydrofoils or speeded up gigantic helicopters, or something invented between now and 2018?

Same with South Africa's bid, maybe people could be housed in Antartica and the sports facilities could be in South Africa...

Comment

I wouldn't mind watching a Winter Olympics in May. If there are parts of New Zealand, Argentina, Chile and South Africa that are cold enough in May to host the Games, by all means give it to them. Aren't there World Cup skiing events that run deep into mid-April?

Comment

Originally posted by hammer forever
              For all the nay-sayers about New Zealand's 2018 Winter Olympics bid, why can't all the spectator attendees and the official athlete's village and whatever else you need space for be located in Australia, and have the actual sports facilities in New Zealand, and jet back and forth on high-speed non-polluting hydrofoils or speeded up gigantic helicopters, or something invented between now and 2018?...
              Oz and EnZed may look on top of each other on a map, but they're 1500M or so apart!

Comment

More to the point:

"The IOC does not recognise joint bids between two nations."

Cancelled 2018 bids

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
                  At over 450km to Christchurch, Queenstown is likely more removed from a major population center than any city that has been awarded a Winter Games up to this point.
                  That's zackly what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                  X