X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
    At over 450km to Christchurch, Queenstown is likely more removed from a major population center than any city that has been awarded a Winter Games up to this point.
    That's zackly what I was thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    More to the point:

"The IOC does not recognise joint bids between two nations."

Cancelled 2018 bids

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by hammer forever
    For all the nay-sayers about New Zealand's 2018 Winter Olympics bid, why can't all the spectator attendees and the official athlete's village and whatever else you need space for be located in Australia, and have the actual sports facilities in New Zealand, and jet back and forth on high-speed non-polluting hydrofoils or speeded up gigantic helicopters, or something invented between now and 2018?...
    Oz and EnZed may look on top of each other on a map, but they're 1500M or so apart!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    I wouldn't mind watching a Winter Olympics in May. If there are parts of New Zealand, Argentina, Chile and South Africa that are cold enough in May to host the Games, by all means give it to them. Aren't there World Cup skiing events that run deep into mid-April?

Leave a comment:

• hammer forever
    replied
    For all the nay-sayers about New Zealand's 2018 Winter Olympics bid, why can't all the spectator attendees and the official athlete's village and whatever else you need space for be located in Australia, and have the actual sports facilities in New Zealand, and jet back and forth on high-speed non-polluting hydrofoils or speeded up gigantic helicopters, or something invented between now and 2018?

Same with South Africa's bid, maybe people could be housed in Antartica and the sports facilities could be in South Africa...

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Good point. But aren't some or all of those in resort areas, or near cities, with substantial hotel capacity? Are there enough hotel rooms in Q'Town? I've been there, and I don't recall there being a lot, but I haven't been there recently, so things might have changed. But IIRC, it's a small town with nothing of any size within a 100 miles.
    Squaw Valley (also known as Olympic Valley) is a resort spot, and is about 50 miles from Reno, population 217,000.

Lake Placid is about 90 miles from Burlington, population 38,000, and 140 miles from Albany, population 95,000. It's also about 190km from Montreal.

Albertville is about 50km from Chambéry, population 59,000.

Lillehammer is about 30km from Ringsaker, population 31,000, and about 170km from Oslo.

At over 450km to Christchurch, Queenstown is likely more removed from a major population center than any city that has been awarded a Winter Games up to this point. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that there only 4.2 million people in the entire country, fewer than in Sydney. If the NZOC is serious about a bid, they'll certainly have to address these concerns.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Good point. But aren't some or all of those in resort areas, or near cities, with substantial hotel capacity? Are there enough hotel rooms in Q'Town? I've been there, and I don't recall there being a lot, but I haven't been there recently, so things might have changed. But IIRC, it's a small town with nothing of any size within a 100 miles.

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I can't imagine how a town as small as Queenstown (population a little over 10,000) could host the Winter Games. It's a beautiful place, but not nearly big enough
    Squaw Valley - 2,691
    Lake Placid - 2,638
    Albertville - 18,906
    Lillehammer - 25,070

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I can't imagine how a town as small as Queenstown (population a little over 10,000) could host the Winter Games. It's a beautiful place, but not nearly big enough

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    [quote=CookyMonzta][quote=7-sided][quote="Vault-emort":29o6cxdw]I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 [Ankara] [color=darkred]Madrid [/color]EUR
    24 Paris EUR
    28 Capetown AFR
    32 Los Angeles NAM
    36 [Madrid] [color=darkred]Berlin [/color]EUR
    40 [New Delhi] [color=darkred]Shanghai/Guangzhou[/color]ASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.[/quote]
    -No USA city will have a bid worth mentioning in 4 years and there will never be the level of federal support that the IOC requires (much less a presidential visit)
    -With some European nations being absolutely opposed to Turkey's EU application, I don't think they have a chance in 4 years to get the Olympics.
    - The games are going back to China![/quote]
    If the IOC wants to solve the problem of who and where to stage future Olympics, they need only to apply one rule: The [i]continent[/i] that gets an Olympics cannot campaign for the next one. This applies separately for winter or summer bids.

For example, with Rio getting the 2016 Summer Olympics, South America would be exempt from bidding for the 2020 Olympics. With Sochi getting the 2014 Winter Olympics, Europe would be off the board for 2018.[/quote:29o6cxdw]

I think there was some unofficial talk of rotating continents for the Summer Games, but how practical is that for the Winter Games? They can only be held in Europe, Asia or North America, correct? I know southern Argentina and Chile get very cold, as do the land along the Andes, but are there cities in these areas that could host them? Maybe a place like Queenstown in southern New Zealand, though that would mean holding the games sometime between May and July, which may throw the majority of winter athletes in the northern hemisphere for a loop.

[url="http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/science/2000/10-19-00.htm"]http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/scie ... -19-00.htm[/url]

Edit: I looked up potential bidders for the 2018 Olympics, and Santiago and Queenstown are listed as potential candidates for 2018/2022.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Cooley High

This is the Cooley H.S. to which I was referring when I thought the film (and thus the subway) was about Michigan teens:

http://detroitcooley.com/

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    [quote=7-sided]
    Originally posted by "Vault-emort":2rmx2dj1
    I think I can save the IOC and bidding cities some time and money...

20 [Ankara] Madrid EUR
    24 Paris EUR
    28 Capetown AFR
    32 Los Angeles NAM
    36 [Madrid] Berlin EUR
    40 [New Delhi] Shanghai/GuangzhouASI

That'll be just 2.5 billion Euros, thanks Jacques.
    -No USA city will have a bid worth mentioning in 4 years and there will never be the level of federal support that the IOC requires (much less a presidential visit)
    -With some European nations being absolutely opposed to Turkey's EU application, I don't think they have a chance in 4 years to get the Olympics.
    - The games are going back to China![/quote:2rmx2dj1]
    If the IOC wants to solve the problem of who and where to stage future Olympics, they need only to apply one rule: The continent that gets an Olympics cannot campaign for the next one. This applies separately for winter or summer bids.

For example, with Rio getting the 2016 Summer Olympics, South America would be exempt from bidding for the 2020 Olympics. With Sochi getting the 2014 Winter Olympics, Europe would be off the board for 2018.

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    Addendum: There are Web references regarding Durban as a possible S.A. site. What's the altitude there?

sea level
    Excellent. So, Cape Town, Durban and possibly Lagos for an Olympics in Africa.

Cairo, Alexandria, Istanbul, Ankara and Dubai for an Olympics in an Islamic city/country. I think we can add Doha, Qatar as well.

For Oceania, someone mentioned New Zealand, no? What's the most populous city there? If I'm not mistaken, much of The Lord of the Rings was filmed in Wellington.

What will it take for New Delhi to get the Olympics? I wonder if the next Commonwealth Games, if successful, will be enough for India to stand a chance.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: Toronto

Originally posted by rayraycanuck
    I would love to see New Zealand put in a bid.
    I love NZ, but I doubt if they would be up to the financial or logistical requirements of putting on an OG these days.

Leave a comment:

• rayraycanuck
    replied
    Toronto

Toronto is looking good for the 2015 Pan Ams being voted on soon. Look for the T. to come on for another Olympic bid.

Quebec City is being talked about for the next Canadian winter bid, but I think the emphasis will go to a summer bid next.

I would love to see New Zealand put in a bid. They have hosted successful CWG's. As well, the World Cup will be S.A.'s test but I think it will be a long time before the African continent. Dubai wants them, they will get them. New Delhi is having a hard time getting ready for the next CWG's!

Great thread all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X