Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could it be that the talk jocks are actually ineffectual?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bman
    Uh... Of course? Who is suggesting all republicans are radicals? The problem with the party is that the radicals are coming to define it, either because the radial views they do have are becoming more prominent or because their moderate views are being perceived as just illusory. However, I think there are more factors in play than just the media people as the article suggests.
    Yes, certainly. Brooks is a genuine conservative--and an insightful and intelligent one, at that. I may not agree with everything he writes, but I always take him seriously. The problem comes from the hijacking of the (perfectly honorable) label of "conservative" by bombastic radicals such as those Brooks dismisses in his column. Self-identified conservatives are free to choose: either the level-headed path of Brooks and his (apparently vanishing) kin, or that of the blow-hards and bomb-throwers like Rush and Cry-Baby Beck. The word "conservative" does not, really, cover both of these camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      You're too nice to admit it, lonewolf, but although you don't care what the ideologies of others are (and indeed none of us should), you DO care what others think of your opinions, because you actually ENJOY (gasp!) being in the community of man, and that entails the need to be 'accepted' by others - not in your ideology, but in your credibility as a rational man.

You have mentioned several times that these sorts of discussions bother you, lonewolf. That's because they are DIVISIVE, and you'd rather get along with others. That's a HORRIBLE weakness on your part. But be comforted - misery loves company - and there are many others of us here who share in the desire to LIKE our fellow man.
      You give the impression that you're writing this to a little kid...Perhaps you feel that everybody else is your student...Do you really believe Lonewolf is a little kid?

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
        [You give the impression that you're writing this to a little kid...Perhaps you feel that everybody else is your student...Do you really believe Lonewolf is a little kid?
        I do not take Marlow's remarks as condesending. He knows from personal acquaintance that I am long past childhood or childish petulance.
        I choose to interpret his remarks as a compliment. He makes an astute observation that I abhor meaningless confrontation and, like most people, prefer to be liked and respected.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          [You give the impression that you're writing this to a little kid...Perhaps you feel that everybody else is your student...Do you really believe Lonewolf is a little kid?
          I do not take Marlow's remarks as condesending. He knows from personal acquaintance that I am long past childhood or childish petulance.
          I choose to interpret his remarks as a compliment. He makes an astute observation that I abhor meaningless confrontation and, like most people, prefer to be liked and respected.
          2 cents, you recently posted that you thought I butted in where I am not needed. Remember that? I was indeed complimenting lonewolf, whom I have met and I admire.

Comment

2 cents, you recently posted that you thought I butted in where I am not needed. Remember that? I was indeed complimenting lonewolf, whom I have met and I admire.
            You quoted me in the post of yours that I was addressing. I was trying to help you understand how you came across in the post. However, I guess you can treat others as if they are children as long as you compliment them....

"You've mentioned several times that these sorts of discussions bother you, marlow. That's because they are DIVISIVE, and you'd rather get along with others."

The above is what you wrote to lonewolf, but I have substituted your name. I mean, really, I guess the world is your classroom and you're lecturing...

Comment

You quoted me in the post of yours that I was addressing. I was trying to help you understand how you came across in the post. However, I guess you can treat others as if they are children as long as you compliment them....
              "You've mentioned several times that these sorts of discussions bother you, marlow. That's because they are DIVISIVE, and you'd rather get along with others."
              The above is what you wrote to lonewolf, but I have substituted your name. I mean, really, I guess the world is your classroom and you're lecturing...
              How noble of you to come to the defense of someone who didn't need you at all, and who explained that you completely misperceived the post in question. But continue to attribute your world-view to the rest of us. I'm sure it will benefit you some day. Treating lonewolf as a child happened only in your mind.

And BTW, that line readdressed to me (underlined), does indeed pertain to me. There is no lecture - it's called empathy. Try it sometime. It's very enlightening.

Comment

There is no lecture - it's called empathy. Try it sometime. It's very enlightening.
                There you go again...

Comment

There is no lecture - it's called empathy. Try it sometime. It's very enlightening.
                  There you go again...
                  That's not a lecture. It's simple patronizing. You should recognize it. It's what you try to do to me repeatedly. Have you ever noticed that virtually ALL your posts to me are that? It's actually flattering in a way, that you assign such merit to my posts that you feel the need to comment on my intent! Another gentleman used to that a lot here. I believe you know him rather well. I remember a remarkable series of posts one night . . .

Comment

My empathy is being extended your way. You cannot help yourself. I have tried. This is who you are....You lecture others and refuse to recognize it. Alternatively, you confess that you're patronizing...As to your allusion to your remarkable series of posts, on this we can agree.

Comment

.You lecture others and refuse to recognize it.
                      Not only that, the 'others' (like lonewolf) refuse to recognize it too. How obstinate of us all! It must be very frustrating for you to be the ONLY to see it. My sympathy (but not empathy).

But now I fear we have passed the mods' 'allowable banter limit' (and my bedtime), so I bid you a good night's rest.

Comment

For a few years Phil Hendrie was a big wheel AM talk guy in LA. His whole show was a fraud... he would use different voices, pretend to be guest, say outrageous stuff and then get floods of calls from irate crackpots that he would drag into ludicrous conversations. It was brutal and cruel, and sometimes very funny.

He said he never worried about running out of idiots to hold up to ridicule because the vast majority of his listeners were in on the joke and the people who actually called in to AM radio were so dumb they would never realize they were being held up to ridicule.

Comment

My empathy is being extended your way. You cannot help yourself. I have tried. This is who you are....You lecture others and refuse to recognize it. Alternatively, you confess that you're patronizing...As to your allusion to your remarkable series of posts, on this we can agree.
                          2 cents: You tried to stir up trouble for no good reason (above), and you seem determined to get at least person riled up (again, for no good reason). Give it a rest.

Comment

Yes, Kuha, you are sadly predictable.....

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                              2 cents: You tried to stir up trouble for no good reason (above), and you seem determined to get at least person riled up (again, for no good reason). Give it a rest.
                              Agree.

Comment

lonewolf, your conservative views are poppycock* . . .

* from the Dutch pappekak, which literally means soft dung or diarrhea (from Dutch pap pap + kak dung)
                                Also a tasty snack treat!

http://www.cocogreko.com/images/poppycock_large.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X