X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evolutionary Benefits of Kindness

from "Slate":

http://www.slate.com/id/2231320/

Coincidently, my seniors and I recently debated the unconscious/instinctual evolutionary origins of altruism.

Those of 'us', hundreds of thousands of years ago, who let our id determine our fate, were wiped out by vengeance-seeking enemies. The survivors' self-preservation instinct was informed by the need to do good for others, in protection of themselves.

The id, however, still seems to be doing just fine, as evidenced by reports in the daily paper.

Comment

Me hit Grog over head with club...good..Grog bleeds and makes funny face

Grog get mad and hit me over head with club..mmm..feel pain..bad

Me notice when i not hit Grog over head with club he not hit me over head with club.........mmmmmm...me on to something?
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        .......mmmmmm...me on to something?
        Right, make the first hit count.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Coincidently, my seniors and I recently debated the unconscious/instinctual evolutionary origins of altruism.

Those of 'us', hundreds of thousands of years ago, who let our id determine our fate, were wiped out by vengeance-seeking enemies. The survivors' self-preservation instinct was informed by the need to do good for others, in protection of themselves.

The id, however, still seems to be doing just fine, as evidenced by reports in the daily paper.
          Evolutionary origins of altruism are considerably older than the man (chimps, wolves...). While tending to her eggs, the octopus does not feed for a prolonged period of time and dies.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            LOL, well that was the other choice. Those guys who did "make it count" were wiped out mostly but some survived and became lawyers and real estate agents.
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              LOL, well that was the other choice. Those guys who did "make it count" were wiped out mostly but some survived and became lawyers and real estate agents.

They also sell cars and star in reality TV shows!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                They also sell cars and star in reality TV shows!
                And don't forget politics. Oops, .......... another thread down the tube, although, I mean it in a bi/tripartisan way.

Comment

Working...
                X