Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin Scully

Today the Personal Journal section of the Wall Street Journal had a story on Vin Scully the LONG-time (60th year) broadcaster for the Dodgers (starting with 8 seasons in Brooklyn). I was a devoted Dodger fan from 1959 through the mid-60s, whence getting older with other interests diminished the pull). During that time Sandy Koufax as my favorite player (and still is, even if he might not be the greatest pitcher ever).

The piece ends by reflecting on what the author suggests was his greatest game broadcast. At the last pitch he simply said '"Swung and missed, a perfect game," and then let the crowd speak for 38 seconds.'

I listened to many Dodger games (few other than with SF were televised in those days) but that is the one game I remember listening to. It was a perfect game in which Bob Hendley of the Chicago Cubs pitched a one-hitter and the only run was: walk, sacrifice, stolen base a bobbled pitch by the catcher.

I got surprisingly emotional reading the piece in the paper.

Back in about 1955, Vince hosted a weekly Saturday afternoon show on local NY TV called " Junior Champions" or something similar. Each week a bunch of kids from a different YMCA or similar group would sit in a crowd with him and he would ask various questions. The Huntington (NY) YMCA had their turn one day. Opportunist/Egotist that I was (still am?) I finagled my way into sitting right next to him. And yes, he did indeed question me on the air, asking me what position I played in basketball. I still remember my answer: " I'm a backcourt man."

Comment

Re: Vin Scully

Originally posted by 26mi235
      Today the Personal Journal section of the Wall Street Journal had a story on Vin Scully
      Don't know why you didn't include a link, but for those who are interested:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 50080.html

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        Today the Personal Journal section of the Wall Street Journal had a story on Vin Scully
        Don't know why you didn't include a link, but for those who are interested:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 50080.html
        [Because I could not get a link without a subscription, at least I tried for a bit; I read the hard copy version. Edit to add, I hunted around for the story and did not readily find a link; I did not say that I could not follow someone else's link.]

Comment

Have you tried that link? I don't subscribe to wsj.com, but I had no problem getting access to that story. Also, I occasonally send wsj.com links to a friend who I know does not subscribe to the wsj in any form, and he's never told me he had any problem opening them.

Comment

I recently saw a short television segment on Vin Scully. Scully was discussing why he never has a partner in the booth with him. He said that Red Barber told him something about how when you're selling a car to somebody, you talk to them about the car, you don't talk about the car to somebody else. So Scully is always talking to his intended audience.
            Then Joe Torre remembered that when he used to play against the Dodgers and Scully was announcing that he could hear all these transistor radios in the stands with Scully's voice coming them.Torre said it made it harder for him to concentrate when he was up to bat.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
              I recently saw a short television segment on Vin Scully. Scully was discussing why he never has a partner in the booth with him. He said that Red Barber told him something about how when you're selling a car to somebody, you talk to them about the car, you don't talk about the car to somebody else. So Scully is always talking to his intended audience.
              Then Joe Torre remembered that when he used to play against the Dodgers and Scully was announcing that he could hear all these transistor radios in the stands with Scully's voice coming them.Torre said it made it harder for him to concentrate when he was up to bat.
              For many years he did broadcast with Jerry Daughet (spelling?).

Comment

Doggett.

Comment

I hunted around for the story and did not readily find a link.]
                  Probably because you looked under Sports. It's not there--never was (just as it wasn't on the sports page in the print edition). Try the Life & Style tab. It's still there, although a bit further down the left column of the page.

Comment

Working...
                  X