• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COSTCO sells black baby doll called 'Lil Monkey

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/cuddlewithme.asp
    on the road

According to the linked page, "sold" would be more accurate than "sells."

Comment

Extremely poor judgement on their part. They should have known better.

Comment

Yes, they should. But there's a good chance that the "they" in this case was a mid-level exec (or should I say former exec?) who was totally clueless and no idea of what that label connoted to many people.

Comment

Yeah, I heard Howard Cosell had fallen on hard times after his TV gig was up.

Comment

Was 'Sambo' already taken?

Speaking of which, there was a chain of over 1000 restaurants with the name "Sambo's" in the 60s. They're all gone now.

Comment

Just to be clear, as mentioned in the article they also had caucasian and hispanic versions of the doll.

But yeah, some folks just don't think things through. Usually, they wear suits to work and have a long elevator ride to their office.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Was 'Sambo' already taken?

Speaking of which, there was a chain of over 1000 restaurants with the name "Sambo's" in the 60s. They're all gone now.
                I liked their burgers. As a fresh immigrant, I had no clue what was the commotion all about, until it was explained to me. IIRC correctly, they closed in the mid-seventies.
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Seventy+ years ago there was a popular children's book, "Little Black Sambo". I either remember or have a fevered imagination of one story about a tiger chasing him in circles. The tiger turned into butter which Little Black Sambo poured on his pancakes.
                  I assume the book is no longer on most approved school library lists.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Seventy+ years ago there was a popular children's book, "Little Black Sambo". I either remember or have a fevered imagination of one story about a tiger chasing him in circles. The tiger turned into butter which Little Black Sambo poured on his pancakes.
                    I assume the book is no longer on most approved school library lists.
                    That's the restaurant's storyline. Their logo was a black boy Sambo with a tiger (forgot the tiger's name, I am losing it).
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You've still got it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Black_Sambo

Comment

I never knew the history of this book (thanks, wiki ) and did not realize it was 36 years old when I was reading it in 1936. I don't recall that at that time there was any racial connotation to the story but I can understand why it eventually became a sensitive issue.

Comment

What's the big deal?

According to a recent thread...

We're all monkeys anyway.

Growing up my dad was a truck driver. Once or twice as a teen he took me on trips with him through the South, midwest and up through the northeast.

CB radios were very popular at the time and back then there was all kinds of racist radio chatter and insensitive, unprofessional comments on the air. During one trip I kept hearing the term "porch monkey" being used and so I finally asked my daddy what a porch monkey was. I'll never forget his reply... he said...

"A porch monkey is you. You're a porch monkey, son."

lol...my dad didnt have a lot of tact.

Later in life I also learned that my dad was an Uncle Tom. Top of the line variety..lol
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

A Taiwanese company sold Darkie toothpaste into the '80s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

Comment

Coon cheese is still one of the brand leaders downunder (though Coon isn't as perjorative a term down here as in other parts).

Then again, we still smoke fags..

Comment

Working...
                              X