Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a related story Macys stores have pulled a doll off the shelves called "Flat ass, inbred cracker, red neck ,baby doncha cry doll"

Apparently there was a problem with its ability to "wet".
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      A Taiwanese company sold Darkie toothpaste into the '80s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie
      Had a housemate (from Asia) in college that used this stuff.

As for Sambo's, the official Wiki story is that the restaruant was named after the original owners (Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett). And not all are gone - the original in Santa Barbara, CA remains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        Growing up my dad was a truck driver. Once or twice as a teen he took me on trips with him through the South, midwest and up through the northeast.

CB radios were very popular at the time and back then there was all kinds of racist radio chatter and insensitive, unprofessional comments on the air. During one trip I kept hearing the term "porch monkey" being used and so I finally asked my daddy what a porch monkey was. I'll never forget his reply... he said...

"A porch monkey is you. You're a porch monkey, son."...
        I never heard this turn of phrase before Atlanta '96; it's still alive and well in some parts of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I never heard this turn of phrase before Atlanta '96; it's still alive and well in some parts of the country.
          Eating lunch at the BOQ in Norfolk one sunny day in 1984 when I was attending a 2-week summer training course, the conversation turned to 'Porch Monkey Jokes", of which, apparently, there are a great number. I had never heard the term, but it soon became apparent to me what the subject was.

I was greatly confused because we had JUST had 'sensitivity training' a couple of days before (not to mention having the native common decency we're all supposed to be born with). In my confusion, I asked what I thought was the obvious question: are you guys going over the kind of stuff we're supposed to be on the look-out to eliminate? The senior officer present straight-facedly replied, "Nope, just telling jokes." My blank stare gave me away, so he continued, "Lighten up. We're just having fun."

It was on that day that I fully realized how pandemic institutional racism can be. I had never encountered it in any of my own commands, but here I was with officers from up and down the East Coast, and apparently it was just no big deal. I wish I could say I reprimanded them all on the spot, but I was so stunned, I just picked up my tray and pretended I was done and left.

Part of me regrets my cowardice, but part of me realizes the futility of that gesture in that situation. I did, however, promise myself 'never again' would I let it go, and I haven't, but I was greatly aided by always being the senior officer present thereafter. As a teacher since my retirement in 1993, I have , fortunately, NEVER had to witness that kind of behavior.

Comment

According to a recent thread...
            We're all monkeys anyway.
            You just don't get it, do you.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Man oh man, I remember hearing that phrase used when I was a kid back in the early '60s. Of course, one would have to hail from a place that was warm enough to actually have porches, I would suppose.

A lot of things have changed in the past 40 years. Thank goodness.

And lest our UK friends feel superior, how about that Black & White Minstrels show on TV in the 70s?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                Man oh man, I remember hearing that phrase used when I was a kid back in the early '60s. Of course, one would have to hail from a place that was warm enough to actually have porches, I would suppose. A lot of things have changed in the past 40 years. Thank goodness.

And lest our UK friends feel superior, how about that Black & White Minstrels show on TV in the 70s?
                Lol. Well, the only acceptable xenophobia left in Britain is feeling superior to Americans or insulting the French! It's all done affectionately though ...

I can just remember the Black & White Minstrel Show. I used to really enjoy it as well. Of course, being 3 years old in an all-white town I didn't know what it really represented. I didn't actually see a black man in the flesh until I was 7! Although I was completely oblivious to the 'difference' of our Chinese neighbours whose daughter I was at school with. Multiculturalism was a completely alien concept in those days.

Anyway, golliwogs, which were removed from sale and jam jars in the 80s, have made a comeback recently in the stuffed toy version and are quite popular, relatively speaking. Only now they're called "gollies" with the apparently offensive bit - "wog" - removed. I really need a rolling eyes smiley here to indicate my complete and utter disdain!

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                  It was (sort of) a joke, Pego.

Not nearly as funny if I have to tell you though.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Seventy+ years ago there was a popular children's book, "Little Black Sambo". I either remember or have a fevered imagination of one story about a tiger chasing him in circles. The tiger turned into butter which Little Black Sambo poured on his pancakes.
                    I assume the book is no longer on most approved school library lists.
                    My mom has a copy of the book, I just read it the other day. It's actually pretty cute in a lot of ways. When he poured the butter on the pancakes they were striped like a tiger!

Understandable that some might find the illustrations offensive, but the story in and of itself is not.

Comment

I can no longer tell when you are serious. Since you make this sort of statements matter-of-factly...(a confused smilie inserted).
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

**WOW** here's a 1935 cartoon of LBS. It's mostly innocent silliness, but the drawing of the child (and mother) is soooo not acceptable any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfGvptL_TY

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          It was on that day that I fully realized how pandemic institutional racism can be. I had never encountered it in any of my own commands, but here I was with officers from up and down the East Coast, and apparently it was just no big deal. I wish I could say I reprimanded them all on the spot, but I was so stunned, I just picked up my tray and pretended I was done and left.

Part of me regrets my cowardice, but part of me realizes the futility of that gesture in that situation. I did, however, promise myself 'never again' would I let it go, and I haven't, but I was greatly aided by always being the senior officer present thereafter. As a teacher since my retirement in 1993, I have , fortunately, NEVER had to witness that kind of behavior.
                          I know how you feel, because I feel the same way. Many bigots assume that if you're not a member of the racial/ethnic/religious group being targeted, then it's okay to tell the jokes. Obviously, I don't hear Black jokes or disparaging remarks about Blacks, but I do hear those things about Hispanics, Arabs, Muslims and gays, and I always make a point to speak out whenever I hear them. Of course, sometimes the offender will tell me to lighten up, but I never oblige. On a couple of occasions when this has happened at work, I've had to threaten to go to human resources, in order to change the attitude of the offender. However, I must admit that I wasn't always as tolerant as I should be when it came to gays, and by defintion, I was a homophobe though I didn't realize it. But fortunately, I had a girlfriend who showed me the error of my ways.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                            I was a homophobe though I didn't realize it. But fortunately, I had a girlfriend who showed me the error of my ways.
                            Oh, I never realized YOU were female! ;-)

Comment

I can no longer tell when you are serious. Since you make this sort of statements matter-of-factly...(a confused smilie inserted).
                              That's understandable.

In fact, you sound like my wife and children. They complain they can't tell when I'm being serious or not.

Too much monkeying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                                You haven't witnessed a verbal racist comment in 16 years?

Its probably because you work with rich white children in an all white school.

In the real world around working class adults, you would have.

Comment

Working...
                                X