This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I know how you feel, because I feel the same way. Many bigots assume that if you're not a member of the racial/ethnic/religious group being targeted, then it's okay to tell the jokes. Obviously, I don't hear Black jokes or disparaging remarks about Blacks, but I do hear those things about Hispanics, Arabs, Muslims and gays, and I always make a point to speak out whenever I hear them. Of course, sometimes the offender will tell me to lighten up, but I never oblige. On a couple of occasions when this has happened at work, I've had to threaten to go to human resources, in order to change the attitude of the offender. However, I must admit that I wasn't always as tolerant as I should be when it came to gays, and by defintion, I was a homophobe though I didn't realize it. But fortunately, I had a girlfriend who showed me the error of my ways.
    What do you mean you "werent as tolerant as you should be when it came to gays"?

What were you doing before, knifing the tires on the Gay Pride float?
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
      [What do you mean you "werent as tolerant as you should be when it came to gays"?

TD, you don't really want me to answer this question honestly, and I think it would be a good idea if you quit trivializing the issue. You're my demographic twin, so please, just this once, try and seriously look at the world from a different point of view than ours.

Comment

You haven't witnessed a verbal racist comment in 16 years?
        Its probably because you work with rich white children in an all white school.
        In the real world around working class adults, you would have.
        Wrong.
        A. It's most certainly NOT all-white.
        B. If it were, there would be a HIGHER likelihood of it (think about it!).
        C. If there were racist comments (and I'm sure there MUST be), who would dare say them around me?!

Comment

, just this once, try and seriously look at the world from a different point of view than ours.
          Jazz, you know i admire you greatly so i was hope you dont mind answering a serious question i have. I saw a black comedian playing to a largely black audience and he was saying horribly racists things about blacks and everyone was laughing and i thought thats kinda strange .Among the things he said was the "N" word and he said something about you dont want to give a brother his 15 min. break at work cause he'lll be gone, followed by huge laughs. What's going on?
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            .Among the things he said was the "N" word and he said something about you dont want to give a brother his 15 min. break at work cause he'lll be gone, followed by huge laughs. What's going on?
            Superbly addressed.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ZtEcxhvBc

Comment

, just this once, try and seriously look at the world from a different point of view than ours.
              Jazz, you know i admire you greatly so i was hope you dont mind answering a serious question i have. I saw a black comedian playing to a largely black audience and he was saying horribly racists things about blacks and everyone was laughing and i thought thats kinda strange .Among the things he said was the "N" word and he said something about you dont want to give a brother his 15 min. break at work cause he'lll be gone, followed by huge laughs. What's going on?
              Chris Rock is famous for telling Black jokes, but I don't think that sort of self-deprecating humor is unique to Black folks. I've heard Lewis Black tell jokes that no Gentile could ever get away with if he/she didn't want to be compared to Hitler. And I've heard Italian-Americans talk amongst themselves using words like wop, guinea and dago, but if an outsider did it, they would have a fight on their hands. Our local sports shock jock always jokes about White guys being slow and nonathletic, and he loves to ridicule White cornerbacks and tailbacks. So once I called into his show and took him to task for this, half joking and half serious, and he explained to me that it was only racism when he ridiculed Black athletes, but not when he ridiculed White athletes.

Comment

Chris Rock is famous for telling Black jokes, but I don't think that sort of self-deprecating humor is unique to Black folks. I've heard Lewis Black tell jokes that no Gentile could ever get away with if he/she didn't want to be compared to Hitler. And I've heard Italian-Americans talk amongst themselves using words like wop, guinea and dago, but if an outsider did it, they would have a fight on their hands. Our local sports shock jock always jokes about White guys being slow and nonathletic, and he loves to ridicule White cornerbacks and tailbacks. So once I called into his show and took him to task for this, half joking and half serious, and he explained to me that it was only racism when he ridiculed Black athletes, but not when he ridiculed White athletes.
                Yep, ive watched a 1000 comedians in my life and if i saw a fat guy go up to the stage i knew his whole act was gonna be about making fun of fat people and so it goes.
                phsstt!

Comment

[What do you mean you "werent as tolerant as you should be when it came to gays"?

TD, you don't really want me to answer this question honestly, and I think it would be a good idea if you quit trivializing the issue. You're my demographic twin, so please, just this once, try and seriously look at the world from a different point of view than ours.
                  But jc...I DO want you to answer the question honestly. Its not my intent to trivialize this.

I mean you say you "weren't as tolerant as you should be when it came to gays" until your girlfriend corrected you. You say this as though "tolerance" means acceptance. Does it really? I mean personally I've always "tolerated" everyone, even my nutty next door neighbor.

When did tolerating someone become this all emcompassing societal term for embracing others? Doesn't it really mean that at first you couldn't stand to look at them, but now through some sort of revelation... you can?

What I got from your statement was that, reflecting, you believe you were a bigot (unaware). However since your girlfriend told you it was wrong you no longer tell gay jokes and rat out the people at work who do.

Am I close?

Comment

But jc...I DO want you to answer the question honestly. Its not my intent to trivialize this.

I mean you say you "weren't as tolerant as you should be when it came to gays" until your girlfriend corrected you. You say this as though "tolerance" means acceptance. Does it really? I mean personally I've always "tolerated" everyone, even my nutty next door neighbor.

When did tolerating someone become this all emcompassing societal term for embracing others? Doesn't it really mean that at first you couldn't stand to look at them, but now through some sort of revelation... you can?

What I got from your statement was that, reflecting, you believe you were a bigot (unaware). However since your girlfriend told you it was wrong you no longer tell gay jokes and rat out the people at work who do.

Am I close?
                    What I'm talking about is using slurs and derisive phrases when talking about gays. I was never a jokester, but I did laugh at other folks jokes, when I should have been speaking up and correcting them. Is it any less offensive to refer to gays as fudgepackers than it is to refer to Blacks and porch monkeys? If it is your habit to speak in a different way when you're around a particular group of people than when you're not around them, then you're probably a bigot.

Vince Lombardi, whose life has been described as one long morality play, dressed down the entire Packers football team in 1959 when he heard a few of them engaging in gay humor. Imagine that. 1959!, And he warned them that the next time he heard anyone of them talking like that, they would immediately fired from the team. Of course it goes without saying that he was equally harsh with racists and religious bigots. Even when slavery was being practiced in the colonies of the so-called enlightened and civilized nations in western Europe and the U.S. there were men who recognized slavery for the barbaric evil that it was and called it by name.

Comment

A friend of mine collects antique bottles and artifacts. He has this in his collection, wow!

phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        Wrong.
                        C. If there were racist comments (and I'm sure there MUST be), who would dare say them around me?!
                        A. You mean the 3 Asian kids in Miss Wiggins' class?
                        B. Wrong. There would be more of it with a few targets scattered among the student body.
                        C. A relative, coworker, neighbor or "friend?" ;-)

Comment

May I answer this?

My son had a teacher who once asked me why is it okay for black people to call each other the "n" word, but they get upset when white people do it.

I explained it this way...

Black people use the "N" word toward each other JUST LIKE white people call each other white trash, red neck, etc. Really, its no different in many cases.

Just like I, as a black man, shouldn't consider joining in with white people who describe each other that way, its probably not a good idea for a white person to use the "n" word toward blacks.

This seems to confuse a lot of white folk but I've never understood why.

As for the rest of the comic act, well, its just like any other comic act where stereotypoes are exaggerated in the name of comedy. Just like white comedians do with "you know you're a redneck when..." and Larry the Cable guy etc. tell joke after joke about people of his own race.

Comment

Just like I, as a black man, shouldn't consider joining in with white people who describe each other that way, .
                            If we ever hung out i would love it if you cracked on whitey, maybe get a few beers in ya first!. To me it would mean that we were totally comfortable with each other.
                            phsstt!

Comment

What I'm talking about is using slurs and derisive phrases when talking about gays. I was never a jokester, but I did laugh at other folks jokes, when I should have been speaking up and correcting them. Is it any less offensive to refer to gays as fudgepackers than it is to refer to Blacks and porch monkeys? If it is your habit to speak in a different way when you're around a particular group of people than when you're not around them, then you're probably a bigot.

Vince Lombardi, whose life has been described as one long morality play, dressed down the entire Packers football team in 1959 when he heard a few of them engaging in gay humor. Imagine that. 1959!, And he warned them that the next time he heard anyone of them talking like that, they would immediately fired from the team. Of course it goes without saying that he was equally harsh with racists and religious bigots. Even when slavery was being practiced in the colonies of the so-called enlightened and civilized nations in western Europe and the U.S. there were men who recognized slavery for the barbaric evil that it was and called it by name.
                              Was Vince Lombardi gay? In the closet maybe? I ask because really in that day and age there was probably ZERO activism to protect homosexuals. Unless maybe someone had a personal interest. I'm not suggesting anything, just asking.

And what's a religious bigot? Someone who criticize and make derogatory remarks about people for who and what they believe in and worship?

No way that ever happens.

And really you should stop comparing being a slave or being a minority to being homosexual. Is being gay a gender or a race? No. Is it easily identifiable so that one could be discriminated against based on the way they look or change their appearance to prevent it? No. Sure people have unfortunately been harmed or killed for being suspected of gay activity, but where was a slave trade instituted and exacted based on homosexuality? What about a mass genocide like jews, indians and blacks suffered? Did they suffer Jim Crow? Segregated schools? Denied the right to vote?

Just stop it.

Was your girlfriend white?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                                Wrong.
                                A. You mean the 3 Asian kids in Miss Wiggins' class?
                                B. Wrong. There would be more of it with a few targets scattered among the student body.
                                C. A relative, coworker, neighbor or "friend?" ;-)
                                I don't find Marlow's story that hard to believe. I have a couple of White co-workers with whom I've always been able to discuss these issues candidly. One of them is a redneck and the other isn't, but 15-20 years ago, both of them admitted that the word "nigger" was a normal part of the vocabulary among the circle of people they associated with and that they occasionally used it themselves. Since then I had always assumed that they continued to use it until one of them corrected me last year and said that his circle of folks no longer used it. I was surprised and asked him when they stopped, and after a little thought he said within the last 3-5 years. Of course, I was skeptical despite the fact that he had never bullshitted me before. So, a few days later I asked the redneck co-worker if it was plausible that someone who had used that word for 40 years would stop using it, and he answered "yes". Then he went onto explain that it had been a long time since he had heard it and that his friends no longer use it. He said that if you used that word now, there was a high chance that you would get chastised by someone, including your kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X