Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Or how about just this: "You're a dumbass. Get the vaccine." I use that one with all my patients. :-)
    My nurse sister's tactic. Our family also has the daughter of a cousin of mine who is an anti-vaxxer. Leads to some interesting back and forth between the medical people in the family and the anti-vaxxer often concluding in some form of "You're a dumbass!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      Good call. So some people think that 100s of millions of people are going to be injected with chemotherapy treatments, which I suspect are rather expensive.

Comment

• At this point, the beliefs of "some people" seem to cover some very bizarre areas. They can alter our DNA and implant the tracking devices at the same time, right?

Comment

• meanwhile, in non-C19 world....

OpinionThe best vaccine news this spring may turn out to involve the fight against malaria, not COVID-19

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...lve-the-fight/

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
            more than a third of parents don't want their kids to have Swine Flu shots! Way to increase the chances of a real epidemic, folks.
            When you started this thread 12 years ago, I bet you didn't know how prescient you were.

Comment

• Malaria is definitely one of those diseases I would like to see greatly diminished, if not eradicated. A close friend of mine contracted it while serving as one of "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children", in the early 70's. It still flares up from time to time, with high fevers, aches, and a hot of other nastiness.

Comment

• Malaria and TB are the two infectious disease that, if we could get vaccines for them, would eliminate enormous amounts of morbidity and mortality - more world-wide than the USA, but that would be huge if the lab jockeys could pull it off.

Comment

• I am hopeful that the new mRNA platform means that we can eventually improve a number of existing vaccines that are not working as well as needed, as well as give us new vaccines for diseases we cannot currently vaccinate against.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                    I am hopeful that the new mRNA platform means that we can eventually improve a number of existing vaccines that are not working as well as needed, as well as give us new vaccines for diseases we cannot currently vaccinate against.
                    Yes, and some early lab research shows it may even have potential against certain forms of cancer

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                      Malaria and TB are the two infectious disease that, if we could get vaccines for them, would eliminate enormous amounts of morbidity and mortality - more world-wide than the USA, but that would be huge if the lab jockeys could pull it off.
                      With those two being predominantly poor-country diseases, the motivation to pour money into researching vaccines for them is low.

But there finally is a promising malaria vaccine being put through trials; let's hope for the best.

Comment

• You know, this would be a great way for Bill Gates to get back into everyone's good graces. Put a Billion or so into solving those diseases impacting the lesser among us and get it into the field. A win-win solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                          Put a Billion or so into solving those diseases impacting the lesser among us and get it into the field. A win-win solution.
                          I don't know that throwing money at them solves the problem. I was under the impression that the Covid shot variants were already underway before the Govt came up with the monetary support, which was to produce large quantities.
                          We're thrown LOTS of $$$ at cancer and it still eludes us.

Comment

You know, this would be a great way for Bill Gates to get back into everyone's good graces. Put a Billion or so into solving those diseases impacting the lesser among us and get it into the field. A win-win solution.
                            I believe the Gates Foundation (that he runs with his ex-wife) has already given billions to fight diseases - especially tropical diseases and those that afflict primarily third-world nations

Comment

You know, this would be a great way for Bill Gates to get back into everyone's good graces.
                              Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              I believe the Gates Foundation (that he runs with his ex-wife) has already given billions to fight diseases - especially tropical diseases and those that afflict primarily third-world nations
                              Yeah, don't know what the Gates owe us beyond what they've already given, as if they "owed" us that . . .

Comment

• from an NIH report back in 2008:

<<Over the past 13 years, the BMGF—and its predecessor, the William H. Gates Foundation—distributed more than US$7.8 billion, including more than US$2 billion for work combating HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB) and malaria; approximately US$1.9 billion for immunizations; and US$448 million for the GCGH projects (www.gatesfoundation.org).>>

Comment

Working...
                                X