Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another sport to threaten HS track?

Would you believe lacrosse? OK, it's not on the radar in most places, but it's the fastest-growing prep sport and is showing large increases in California, where this article says baseball is already feeling the impact. Just what we need, another popular spring team sport.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1A0AUE.DTL

Re: another sport to threaten HS track?

Originally posted by gh
    Would you believe lacrosse? OK, it's not on the radar in most places, but it's the fastest-growing prep sport and is showing large increases in California, where this article says baseball is already feeling the impact. Just what we need, another popular spring team sport.
    This is the same situation that led 'scientists' to predict the women's Marathon record would pass the men's in 2054. It's brand new everywhere except the top right corner of the map, so of course it's 'fast-growing'. It will level off in a while, the newness will fade, something newer will replace it and that will be that.

That said, I played it growing up and it IS wicked fun, cuz you get to whack other people with a stick as hard as you want. Bloodier than even rugby!!

Comment

I'm not sure there's necessarily a cause and effect.

We've had a very strong high school lacrosse scene here in Ohio for over a decade, yet we still run a strong third behind Texas and Cali in boys track participation.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        we still run a strong third behind Texas and Cali in boys track participation.
        REALLY? I thought Florida's 1,000,000 HS participation was easily #3.

(or are you recounting those who do indoor AND outdoor?)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by guru
          we still run a strong third behind Texas and Cali in boys track participation.
          REALLY? I thought Florida's 1,000,000 HS participation was easily #3.

(or are you recounting those who do indoor AND outdoor?)
          NFHS Boys Outdoor Track Participation 2008-2009 SY

TX Track and Field -- Outdoor 78645
          CA Track and Field -- Outdoor 51689
          OH Track and Field -- Outdoor 25140
          MI Track and Field -- Outdoor 23942
          NY Track and Field -- Outdoor 21357
          IL Track and Field -- Outdoor 17871
          NJ Track and Field -- Outdoor 17102
          FL Track and Field -- Outdoor 15879
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Dang! I thought we were better than that! :-(

Comment

Even back in the 60's, Lacrosse was BIG on Long Island. We lost lots of real good athletes everry spring to Lacrosse that we dearly would have loved to have on the Track team.

Comment

Jim Brown was good at Lacrosse back then I believe.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                  Jim Brown was good at Lacrosse back then I believe.
                  I'm sure the Manhasset Track coach would have liked to have him.

Comment

Uhh... Yea? Well I guess others may not be around high schools in central Ohio... Lol...

It is tough to say what sports loose athletes to Lacrosse, it any, or if all will loose equally. I personally really like the game, many of my friends play it, for whatever that is worth.

This is kind of a side point, but it is interesting how the marketability/spectator status of a sport can be completely unrelated to how popular the game is on the participant level. Baseball for instance is doing fine in terms of ratings and other monetary factors, but is massively loosing popularity among the kids. Lacrosse is the opposite. Soccer in this country is starting to boom in popularity in terms of awareness of the world game, but on the participant level is not experiencing anything of the sort, at least not yet.

Just an observation from my little corner of the world.

Comment

Lacrosse is actually Canada's National Sport, although now shared with hockey as of 1994. Most of the lacrosse action around here is club-based, not school based, but there have been many excellent athletes on the lacrosse floor, who did a bit of track for their school in season.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                        Lacrosse is actually Canada's National Sport, although now shared with hockey as of 1994. Most of the lacrosse action around here is club-based, not school based, but there have been many excellent athletes on the lacrosse floor, who did a bit of track for their school in season.
                        I was just about to post this information, rasb. Canadian minds think alike.

Although, I've read that lacrosse is Canada's offical "summer" sport, while hockey is the official "winter" sport.

Of course, I simply can't understand why lacrosse is an official anything in Canada. All those who think of Canada when they hear "lacrosse", step forward. Now, all those who think of Canada when they hear hockey...

If we have to pick a second official sport, it'd probably be rolling up the rim.

Comment

I believe it. I was at my old high school last spring watching a track meet and talking to the principal, he told me the most popular sport there was lacrosse.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                            Originally posted by rasb
                            I was just about to post this information, rasb. Canadian minds think alike.

Although, I've read that lacrosse is Canada's offical "summer" sport, while hockey is the official "winter" sport.

Of course, I simply can't understand why lacrosse is an official anything in Canada. All those who think of Canada when they hear "lacrosse", step forward. Now, all those who think of Canada when they hear hockey...

Steeped in history, JRM.... Lacrosse was a huge sport in our aboriginal heritage. Hockey, not so much. Yes, I believe you are correct that hockey and lacrosse share the distinction, but within different seasons. And I think it required a vote in Parliament to overturn the longstanding reality that lacrosse was our national sport from the earliest days. It might have had something to do with Stomping Tom, also.... Of course, you and I both know that distance running is our real national sport

If we have to pick a second official sport, it'd probably be rolling up the rim.

Comment

Here is what I see as a threat: elimination of season of sport rules in SS-CIF (and other areas). Football and B-ball coaches who are hungry to build programs will monopolize the best athletes year-round. There are already schools in Southern California where "track" season is a very thinly disguised conditioning period for spring football, but eliminating season of sport calendars will remove even the pretense of a track program.

Comment

Working...
                              X