Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I surmise that many will assume Tiger would be the front-runner for gold in 2016. However, that will depend on whether he still has his mojo by then. His putting really cramped his game in the majors this year, though, and it remains to be seen if he can keep his A-game going even at 40. Consider that Jack won his 6th Masters at 46, and Tom nearly won his 6th British Open a couple of months away from 60.

Aside from that, for the men's team competition, I would think the U.S. would have to be the top seed, followed by the U.K. and South Africa, with Spain a close 4th.

On the women's side, golf has literally become a national sport for South Korea, and they are the runaway front-runners. The U.S. would be #2 (and one wonders if Tiger's niece Cheyenne will make this team), and I'm thinking Sweden would be #3.

Of course, things could change in 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
      I surmise that many will assume Tiger would be the front-runner for gold in 2016. However, that will depend on whether he still has his mojo by then. His putting really cramped his game in the majors this year, though, and it remains to be seen if he can keep his A-game going even at 40. Consider that Jack won his 6th Masters at 46, and Tom nearly won his 6th British Open a couple of months away from 60.

Aside from that, for the men's team competition, I would think the U.S. would have to be the top seed, followed by the U.K. and South Africa, with Spain a close 4th.

On the women's side, golf has literally become a national sport for South Korea, and they are the runaway front-runners. The U.S. would be #2 (and one wonders if Tiger's niece Cheyenne will make this team), and I'm thinking Sweden would be #3.

Of course, things could change in 7 years.
      There is no team competition planned. The reason for that decision is the following: the IOC dislikes the concept of what they term passive team sports. This is a sport in which teams consist only of individuals competing on their own, and the team score is simply determined by adding up the individual scores. This is best exemplified by team event in gymnastics, although that is well grandfathered in by now. But even that format has changed to make it a bit different. So the proposal by the IGF was not to include a team competition because it was considered the IOC would not like that (this was actually my suggestion to them back in 2002).

The event will be 60 men and 60 women playing two separate individual events. The top 15 in the world rankings will be eligible. After that, there will be distribution on a continental basis, allowing a certain # of entries from each continent. So far, the IGF did not put a limit on the number of entries from a single nation (in this format, the USA would currently have 7or 8 men), but I suspect they will. In the original submission for the 2012 Olympics, which I helped them design, we did limit it to no more than 3 from any nation. (I was not as closely involved with the 2016 submission.)

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
        Originally posted by 7-sided
        Golf and Rugby were the sports that flouted the international ban on South African and apartheid that ended 20 years ago.
        Rugby has come a long way since then. Has learned from its mistakes and is now one of the most popular spectator sports in the world..Far more popular than either baseball or softball and is likely to be more competitive.
        I am sure that most did not realize that Rugby - which was not an Olympic sport at the time - was one of the principal reasons for the boycott of '76.

Interesting broadcast from '76 on CBC
        http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/clips/15556/

Comment

Rugby 7s World Cup was held in San Francisco over the weekend (go enzed!); seemed very much a success. Wish I had wandered up there to take it in.

Total attendance for the 3 days was over 100,000 and the local paper devoted a couple of pages every day.

Comment

Working...
          X