Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local (SF Bay Area) pundit cracks wise about this area coming in second to Raleigh-Durham because of a perceived lack of political engagement in the Bay Area: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cit ... y_id=49139

Comment

My gosh, my hometown, Louisville, is 52nd. Now, if we could just consider the part east of Bardstown Road, it would be about 15th.

Comment

If find it fascinating that the SF Bay Area (#2) and Fresno (#dead last) are almost in spitting distance of each other.

It makes one wonder how such things can develop in such wildly divergent directions, despite the proximity.

By the way, I've spent time in both places and I fully agree with where they are ranked.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by gh
          Heard some pro football talkign heads on the radio the other day and they said the franchise is so desparate there is talk they'll burn their No. 1 choice on Tebow and use him as a running back as a "marketing tool" to get butts in the seats. Wow, talk about desparation.
          It would totally work. Be it'd have to be as a tight end - he just doesn't have the speed to be anything but a blocking back (perhaps a power Fullback, for short yardage situations) or a TE.
          Tebow WILL have some success in the pros before he becomes a coach or missionary.
          If they're drafting somebody as a draw for putting butts in the seats, it won't be a position where he spends half his plays from scrimmage pickiing up blitzing linebacker and d-backs.

Comment

Some really crude measures are used in these sorts of things. One year Madison was tops in the Best Places to live. A couple years later they did not do as well. They made a couple of changes. They measured the educational resources at college and grad school by the number of universities within 50 (or 30) miles; sudden Madison got a very low score because their 45,000 student university counted 1. In general, this version of measuring whatever they think they are measuring is biased to the east, where there are a lot of smallish private schools rather than the west/midwest with fewer large universities.

Another time, they have Middleton (essentially a Madison suberb) ranked much higher than Madison. I looked at the scores and they were almost identical except that the growth rate of house prices (yes, this is a great measure?) was much higher for Middleton because they misplaced a decimal place int he calculation for Madison, which would have been in the top 3, I think.

Comment

Working...
            X