Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 under-appreciated Beatles songs

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Is Here, There and Everywhere one of the prettiest songs ever written?

    I agree. There really was some nice stuff later shoved aside by the psycedelic phase and resultant controversy, plus Lennon's "Bigger than Jesus" quote and the fascination with Harrison's embracing of Indian teachings/Transidental Meditation.

    I've always thought "P.S., I Love You" was as sweet a song as I would ever hope to write for a wife or girlfriend.

    "In My Life" was so universal, even Johnny Cash covered it before he died. ["The Man Comes Around"/American Records.]


    Not sure who else is doing this, but I'm purchasing the entire series of albums. Never had the chance to hear "the lads"--as George Martin continually referrred to them--on anything even remotely good (stereo-wise). Had many albums on vinyl, cassette and CD of their individual efforts, but never liked the Mono recordings of the group itself, so previously shied away from buying anything. I'm buying the new CD collection two at a time and playing each at least 2-4 times over a two-week period before getting the next ones. Sort of soaking in each part of the group's development, in my own way.

    Not all of us could hang out in some Hashbury attic in '68 listening to the original vinyl "White Album", like gh! ["Have you met my friend Charlie? He's like one of the family..."]

    Just kidding, gh; don't know if you had even escaped the Palouse by then.


    Speaking of their individual efforts, as much as I like certain McCartney and Harrison songs--and pretty much all of Lennon's stuff--Starr had a couple of fantastic tunes with "It don't Come Easy" ["Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues"--great line!] and "Photograph."

    In fact, I don't believe many exclusively pop songs can capture that sense of regret and yearning better than "Photograph." An earlier bit of the type of stuff that made Bob Seeger ["Night Moves"; "Main Street"; etc.] and Don Henley (as a solo artist) ["Boys of Summer"; Heart of the Matter"; etc.] famous.


    So when are these Beatles guys going to have a reunion tour and new CD...?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Brian
      So when are these Beatles guys going to have a reunion tour and new CD...?
      I see the Beatles every year when the play Connecticut.

      http://www.thefabfour.com/
      check out the live videos

      Just order the white album remastered!!!!! will give full report. good price for a double.

      Delivery estimate: October 15, 2009
      1 "The White Album (Remastered)"
      The Beatles; Audio CD; $12.99

      Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

      Just got it! Tested it on my good car stereo cause im at work, cant wait to get it home and play it on my studio monitors. WOW! It has the highs i was getting from the albums but much better bass and no pops from the needle. I guess i will get one new one every paycheck, next? Revolver me thinx
      phsstt!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Marlow
        I think ALL the songs from Rubber Soul are underappreciated, but it's their own fault for not releasing them as singles, except Michelle, which I think is one of the weaker songs of the album!

        Dear Prudence . . . that is hauntingly lovely!
        Gvn't Mule did a great cover of Dear Prudence during a show at Red Rocks last fall.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by DrJay
          Originally posted by Marlow
          I think ALL the songs from Rubber Soul are underappreciated, but it's their own fault for not releasing them as singles, except Michelle, which I think is one of the weaker songs of the album!

          Dear Prudence . . . that is hauntingly lovely!
          Gvn't Mule did a great cover of Dear Prudence during a show at Red Rocks last fall.
          Speaking of covers, have you heard the cover of Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees? One of my earliest musical memories and lives up to the original. Well worth checking out.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by IanS_Liv
            Originally posted by DrJay
            Originally posted by Marlow
            I think ALL the songs from Rubber Soul are underappreciated, but it's their own fault for not releasing them as singles, except Michelle, which I think is one of the weaker songs of the album!

            Dear Prudence . . . that is hauntingly lovely!
            Gvn't Mule did a great cover of Dear Prudence during a show at Red Rocks last fall.
            Speaking of covers, have you heard the cover of Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees? One of my earliest musical memories and lives up to the original. Well worth checking out.
            I just heard it for the first time on youtube, like it a lot. Its faster with a nice beat.
            phsstt!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Brian


              Speaking of their individual efforts, as much as I like certain McCartney and Harrison songs--and pretty much all of Lennon's stuff--Starr had a couple of fantastic tunes with "It don't Come Easy" ["Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues"--great line!] and "Photograph."

              In fact, I don't believe many exclusively pop songs can capture that sense of regret and yearning better than "Photograph."

              "Photograph" is a phenomenal song and it was written in collaboration with George Harrison. Since I don't know who was responsible for which part of the tune, it's always been my opinion that at least a good part of the melody is Harrison's.

              Check out the version on the Concert for George which is on youtube.com. It's great.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Dutra
                Originally posted by Brian
                great.
                Delivery estimate: October 15, 2009
                1 "The White Album (Remastered)"

                The Beatles; Audio CD; $12.99

                Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

                Just got it! Tested it on my good car stereo cause im at work, cant wait to get it home and play it on my studio monitors. WOW! It has the highs i was getting from the albums but much better bass and no pops from the needle. I guess i will get one new one every paycheck, next? Revolver me thinx
                phsstt!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dutra
                  "Photograph" is a phenomenal song and it was written in collaboration with George Harrison. Since I don't know who was responsible for which part of the tune, it's always been my opinion that at least a good part of the melody is Harrison's.

                  As the late Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that...!"

                  Makes sense. I can hear Harrison's "Wall of Sound"-type vocal thing with the backup singers, a' la, "My Sweet Lord."

                  Speaking of "Wall of Sound," in case some don't know it there is a release of "Let It Be" without the Phil Spector (to some) annoying technical additions. I believe it's called "Let It Be--Unplugged."

                  On my list after the original catalog is purchased. Just got the "White Album" today; quick trip to Best Buy ($12.99 on sale for the double disk!) between high school soccer playoff games. Don't even TRY to call me tomorrow...[/u]

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Of course, you all realize despite whatever we write here about the Beatles, nothing can compare to the greatness of The Rutles.

                    All you need is cash...

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Just for fun:

                      Scroll down until you get to Sesame Street.

                      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... um-covers/
                      images/album_1196433007.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amiright.com/
                      album-covers/abbey-road-parodies/&usg=__W5cLfTIRAGvKlp8mjpkkQe6zJYc=
                      &h=570&w=570&sz=92&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=dRTnbn M4RhSmVM:
                      &tbnh=134&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthe%2Brutles%26hl%3Den%
                      26sa%3DX%26um%3D1


                      [Have to do a cut & paste; I didn't want to screw up the thread dimensions.]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Test drove the white album in my studio last night, in complete darkness with various intoxicants. How was it? Remember when that british dude who poked his head through the hole and shone a flashlight at King Tut's tomb for the first time?

                        What do you hear? Things, wonderful things! Your listening and your pretty sure it sounds amazing and then you hear it. Something you never knew existed and that just keeps coming with every song.

                        What to get next? I have feeling the older songs might be even more impressive cleaned up so.....im thinking maybe Something New.

                        [edit] Side one
                        "I'll Cry Instead"
                        "Things We Said Today"
                        "Any Time at All"
                        "When I Get Home"

                        "Slow Down" (Larry Williams)
                        "Matchbox" (Carl Perkins)

                        [edit] Side two
                        "Tell Me Why"
                        "And I Love Her"

                        "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"
                        "If I Fell"
                        "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" (Lennon/McCartney/Nicholas/Heller
                        phsstt!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          What do you hear? Things, wonderful things! Your listening and your pretty sure it sounds amazing and then you hear it. Something you never knew existed and that just keeps coming with every song.
                          Who remembers the first time they ever heard Led Zepp's Whole Lotta Love on headphones (esp. the 70s 'phones that completely covered your ears)? That absolved me from ever having to drop acid, because my brains started oozing out my earholes halfway through the bridge!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Marlow
                            Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            What do you hear? Things, wonderful things! Your listening and your pretty sure it sounds amazing and then you hear it. Something you never knew existed and that just keeps coming with every song.
                            Who remembers the first time they ever heard Led Zepp's Whole Lotta Love on headphones (esp. the 70s 'phones that completely covered your ears)? That absolved me from ever having to drop acid, because my brains started oozing out my earholes halfway through the bridge!
                            I have 2 zep remastered albums- they sound incredible. these 2



                            phsstt!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 13 under-appreciated Beatles songs

                              Originally posted by gh
                              Nice little column for mophead fans:

                              http://musosguide.com/listen-do-you-wan ... songs/7958
                              What, no Rocky Raccoon?

                              Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of Dakota
                              There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
                              And one day his woman ran off with another guy
                              Hit young Rocky in the eye Rocky didn't like that
                              He said I'm gonna get that boy
                              So one day he walked into town
                              Booked himself a room in the local saloon

                              Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
                              Only to find Gideon's bible
                              Rocky had come equipped with a gun
                              To shoot off the legs of his rival
                              His rival it seems had broken his dreams
                              By stealing the girl of his fancy
                              Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
                              But everyone knew her as Nancy
                              Now she and her man who called himself Dan
                              Were in the next room at the hoe down
                              Rocky burst in and grinning a grin
                              He said Danny boy this is a showdown
                              But Daniel was hot, he drew first and shot
                              And Rocky collapsed in the corner, ah

                              D'da d'da d'da da da da
                              D'da d'da d'da da da da
                              D'da d'da d'da da d'da d'da d'da d'da
                              Do do do do do do

                              D'do d'do d'do do do do
                              D'do d'do d'do do do do
                              D'do d'do d'do do do d'do d'do d'do d'do
                              Do do do do do do

                              Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
                              And proceeded to lie on the table
                              He said Rocky you met your match
                              And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch
                              And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able

                              And now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room
                              Only to find Gideon's bible
                              Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
                              To help with good Rocky's revival, ah
                              Oh yeah, yeah

                              D'do d'do d'do do do do
                              D'do d'do d'do do do do
                              D'do d'do d'do do do d'do d'do d'do d'do
                              Do do do do do do

                              D'do d'do d'do do do do, come on, Rocky boy
                              D'do d'do d'do do do do, come on, Rocky boy
                              D'do d'do d'do do do d'do d'do d'do d'do
                              The story of Rocky there

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Love Rocky, and what a boot Martha My Dear? And Honey Pie? And

                                And your bird can sing
                                Tomorrow never knows
                                She said she said
                                Doctor Robert
                                phsstt!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X