Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the Polanski thread was locked...

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/doonesbury
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Despite my (usual) 180 degree politics, I love Doonesbury, an equal opportunity spoofer. Unfortunately the Daily Oklahoman banned it years ago because it lampooned a female politician ( I forget who). It is still carried in the local alternative newspaper which I try to pick up weekly.

Comment

Interesting that a paper in my area banned it too. I was never an inveterate comic reader so I didn't really care. But their readership did, in significant numbers. The pretext was concern about some kind of sexual situation, but it was really over Trudeau's politics.
      They brought it back at a time when they were thriving, unlike now. Dumping the strip was a stupid move, exhibiting that the media isn't as liberal as is portrayed. Even in the Northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
        Interesting that a paper in my area banned it too. I was never an inveterate comic reader so I didn't really care. But their readership did, in significant numbers. The pretext was concern about some kind of sexual situation, but it was really over Trudeau's politics.
        They brought it back at a time when they were thriving, unlike now. Dumping the strip was a stupid move, exhibiting that the media isn't as liberal as is portrayed. Even in the Northeast.

Members of what social class OWN those "liberal media" newspapers...?

Comment

Working...
        X