Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Couldn't Carry Your Ancestor's Jockstrap

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4557276

You are not half the man your ancient ancestor was. You jokers are arguing who was better, Carl or Bolt. It turns out they're both inadequate. The story linked above quotes an author,"As a class we are in fact the sorriest cohort of masculine Homo sapiens to ever walk the planet." And here I thought it was only Squackee. :lol:
    Of course, the author may not have the foggiest notion what he's talking about, either. I know the resident expert on these subjects is TrackDaddy, so perhaps he'll weigh in...

Of course those ancient relatives were strong and fast. They had tiny little itsy bitsy brains. With our new and improved modern brains we dont need the strenght these primatives had, we have things called bullets. A neanderthal woman beats me at arm wrestling? I laugh if it off and throw a hand grenade at her. You lose bitch!
    phsstt!

Comment

This contradicts the first-hand evidence that I've seen in Europe, in the old architecture and furniture that proves that modern man is much bigger that Europeans of 1000 to 1500 years ago. Are we to believe that the Romans were faster and stronger despite being smaller?

Comment

Re: You Couldn't Carry Your Ancestor's Jockstrap

Originally posted by 2 cents

You are not half the man your ancient ancestor was. You jokers are arguing who was better, Carl or Bolt. It turns out they're both inadequate. The story linked above quotes an author,"As a class we are in fact the sorriest cohort of masculine Homo sapiens to ever walk the planet." And here I thought it was only Squackee. :lol:
        Of course, the author may not have the foggiest notion what he's talking about, either. I know the resident expert on these subjects is TrackDaddy, so perhaps he'll weigh in...
        lol...good one, 2. ;-)
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
          This contradicts the first-hand evidence that I've seen in Europe, in the old architecture and furniture that proves that modern man is much bigger that Europeans of 1000 to 1500 years ago. Are we to believe that the Romans were faster and stronger despite being smaller?
          I agree. You can do the pound-for-pound thing with the humans of ages past. But take one starting NFL defensive tackle (6'6, 280, 30 reps at 225, 4.9 40)) and see how the oldies do. Not so bono.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Of course those ancient relatives were strong and fast. They had tiny little itsy bitsy brains. With our new and improved modern brains we dont need the strenght these primatives had, we have things called bullets. A neanderthal woman beats me at arm wrestling? I laugh if it off and throw a hand grenade at her. You lose bitch!

Keep laughing.
            Remember the appendix? Vermiform, not supplemental.

"In the year 5555
            Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
            Your legs got nothing to do
            Some machine is doing that for you..."

In the Year 2525
            written by Rick Evans; performed by Denny Zager and Rick Evans

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/z/zage ... _2525.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
              I agree. You can do the pound-for-pound thing with the humans of ages past. But take one starting NFL defensive tackle (6'6, 280, 30 reps at 225, 4.9 40)) and see how the oldies do. Not so bono.

Apples and oranges.

There's a big difference between strength-oriented professional athletes and everyday people across the board going about their daily lives.

And for the record, I'm not so certain any pro American football player would come out on top against an ancient Viking or Spartan warrior...

Comment

If there's any truth to this, it's going back to a hunter-gatherer time, not an agricultural one. I've heard (not read) that the invention of agriculture was a step backwards in health for us,but don't quote me on that one.

Comment

Re: You Couldn't Carry Your Ancestor's Jockstrap

Originally posted by 2 cents

Originally posted by Article
                  Many prehistoric Australian aboriginals could have outrun world 100- and 200-meter record-holder Usain Bolt in modern conditions.

Some Tutsi men in Rwanda exceeded the current world high jump record of 2.45 meters during initiation ceremonies in which they had to jump at least their own height to progress to manhood.

Any Neanderthal woman could have beaten former bodybuilder and current California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in an arm wrestle.
                  What utter nonsense. We had a thread about those lightening-fast Aborigines a few months ago. As I recall, it quickly deteriorated due to additional, mostly unrelated, utter nonsense.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I bet our ancestor's jock straps stunk to high heaven. They could probably win a fight by throwing it at modern man. Oooh, I'm feelin' kinda woozy. Thank god for modern hygiene.
                    In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

Originally posted by Run DMC
                      I bet our ancestor's jock straps stunk to high heaven. They could probably win a fight by throwing it at modern man. Oooh, I'm feelin' kinda woozy. Thank god for modern hygiene.
                      I would bet they wore no such jock strap. Maybe a big hollowed out coconut shell, size depending on varous needs.
                      phsstt!

Comment

I'm here imagining the sports bra for the women.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                          And for the record, I'm not so certain any pro American football player would come out on top against an ancient Viking or Spartan warrior...
                          They certainly led hard lives that kept them physically sharp, but by the time they were my age, I coulda whupped 'em BAD!!!!
                          Seriously though, I'm sure they were mentally tougher than us, but I'd take any good-sized athlete of today over ANYTHING from back then.

Comment

The stuff in that article about guys high jumping "8.27 feet" in the "early years of the last century" is beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Reminds me of the Neaderthal Parallax Trilogy.

The Neanderthal's in these stories were in fact described much like this.
                              I'm going from memory, but the Neanderthal mile record was 3:11 or so and the average dude was built like "Arnold" and they were portrayed as easily faster in a sprint than even the fastest modern human.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                              X