Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figger'skatin'

was just watching the GP from paris tonight on tv, and they made a comment about the japanese skater - oda - who eventually won the competition, but they said that he had been penalized in the past several times for "too many jump combinations." 'scuse me? you lose points for too many jumps?????

Sorry FS, gymnastics, or any other sport that has 'judges' decide the winner (as opposed to refs, umps and other rules-keeping officials), you don't get the same respect as the other sports where the objective measure of points wins.

That's been boxing's downfall, where the the rule should be the same as MMA fights - keep going till one guy gets KO'ed or gives up. Of course these blood-sports make Vick's shenanigans look like a Sunday School Picnic, so they won't be around much longer anyway. Bring back the lions and the Christians - now THAT was sport!

Comment

Re: figger'skatin'

Originally posted by cacique
      'scuse me? you lose points for too many jumps?????
      You lose points for too many jumps because there is a limit to the number of jumps you can attemp in a single performance. Each jump is assigned a certain base points based on the difficulty. If there were no limit, some skaters would repeat the same jump over and over to accumulate the point. That would be contrary to the idea of perfoming jumps as demonstration of your jumping technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Sorry FS, gymnastics, or any other sport that has 'judges' decide the winner (as opposed to refs, umps and other rules-keeping officials), you don't get the same respect as the other sports where the objective measure of points wins.
        If you don't give judged sports the same respect, that's your choice. But I'd appreciate if you refrained from speaking for the humanity. Each one of us can decide on our own how much respect we want to give to each sport without guidance from other people, thank you very much.

As for boxing, I wouldn't take it seriously until they have a single governing body for the whole sport. Imagine there were "World Track & Field Federation" that competes with IAAF and each had a "World Championship"! The winners from both events could claim they are the "World Champions" although only one of them is the best in the world. That's how bizarre boxing looks to me. And I choose not to speak for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
          I'd appreciate if you refrained from speaking for the humanity. . .
          thank you very much.
          I choose not to speak for other people.
          I don't.
          You're welcome.
          Why would you think I do? It's obviously just my opinion.

Comment

marlow,

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. what you say has been said before. nothing new there. yes, there's problems with the way gymnastics, diving, figure skating are judged, but what you gonna do about it? how else you gonna have a competition if not by judged scores? there's no objective way to do it without biases.

and if you think there's no subjectivity in baseball, football,etc. you are out of your mind. i must tell mrs. marlow to get you away from the bottle.

Comment

marlow,

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. what you say has been said before. nothing new there. yes, there's problems with the way gymnastics, diving, figure skating are judged, but what you gonna do about it? how else you gonna have a competition if not by judged scores? there's no objective way to do it without biases.

and if you think there's no subjectivity in baseball, football,etc. you are out of your mind. i must tell mrs. marlow to get you away from the bottle.
              That killer chocolate milk, oh boy!
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I have always had less enthusiasm for ANY sport where there is judging, from Boxing to Diving to Figure Skating and all points in between. It's inescapable, and they make it as fair as possible, but still...

Comment

but what you gonna do about it? how else you gonna have a competition if not by judged scores? there's no objective way to do it without biases.
                  Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  I have always had less enthusiasm for ANY sport where there is judging, from Boxing to Diving to Figure Skating and all points in between. It's inescapable, and they make it as fair as possible, but still...
                  What Steve said.

Comment

what, so you just don't watch it, marlow? and you just miss out on all the hot women in bikinis?

just spent a good portion of the weekend watching the GP of figure skating from paris and the WC of gymnastics from london on tv. it was very entertaining. finally univ. sports is showing something worth watching instead of the endless BORING triathlon, cycling and mountain biking. blecch...

Comment

The difference is that Steve wrote about his personal preference.

Marlow wrote how little respect each sport gets.

IMHO, it is no one's business to decide how much respect Sport A gets compared to Sport B.

Comment

what, so you just don't watch it, marlow? and you just miss out on all the hot women in bikinis?

just spent a good portion of the weekend watching the GP of figure skating from paris and the WC of gymnastics from london on tv. it was very entertaining. finally univ. sports is showing something worth watching instead of the endless BORING triathlon, cycling and mountain biking. blecch...
                        i bet you were only watching for Lewis Smith !!
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Though not my favorite sports, I've enjoyed figure skating and gymnastics over the years, though usually only during the Olympics (so I'm just like the non-T&F fans that watch T&F once every four years). What's not to like about watching Olga Korbut, Nadia Comaneci, Mary Lou Retton, Kerri Strug, Dorothy Hamill, Sarah Hughes, Michele Kwan, etc? The subjective nature of part of the judging is a bit of a drag compared to the very objective nature of T&F, but hey, it's the choice of the athletes to participate in those sports.

Comment

mumpsy,

who?

Comment

mumpsy,

who?
                              I think Mump Boy means Louis Smith, who won a medal for GBNI in Beijing last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X