Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedfirst
    I know you're perfect and I see why you feel the way you do, I don't agree with it, but since you're perfect again I do see it.
    If you don't understand, just admit it. Your low-road approach isn't helping your cause.

If I am a nationally infamous pathological liar, which, of course, she is - remember that in her book, she wrote - in large red letters,

"I never cheated."

I should not be invited to address kids.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Let me ask you as well, you ever did anything wrong, ever have a second chance in life in anything? I know you're perfect and I see why you feel the way you do, I don't agree with it, but since you're perfect again I do see it.
      It's not about sinning Speed. It's about differentiating between the remorseful sinner and the remorseless sinner, but I already know from a previous thread that your purblindness prevents you from understanding the significance of that distinction.
      So true. He is of the "only god can judge me", but I can judge everyone else kind. Newsflash: I can judge, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        Originally posted by HotTrack
        Her speeches should motivate the kids
        Motivate them to do what? Not to lie? They should know that without her. Not to cheat like I did? They should know that without her. Stay out of prison? They should know that without her.

My idea of a motivational speaker is somebody that should be emulated, not the "repentant sinner". I join the chorus of boos.

So I can fairly assume you folks are also against the program where people who are involved in drunk driving fatalities speak to high school students about the evils of drinking and driving. Or Michael Vick helping out at animal shelters.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Marlow's point is that in his opinion ( and many others) she has never stopped telling lies, and only partially fessed up when she had no choice. Her tale on Oprah was ludicrous. A truly repentant drunk driver has in effect come completely clean and feels genuine remorse. Marion continues to lie as much as she can and IMO ( and Marlow's it appears) is only sorry she got caught, nothing more.

Having said all that it is time to move on...

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            Originally posted by HotTrack
            Her speeches should motivate the kids
            Motivate them to do what? Not to lie? They should know that without her. Not to cheat like I did? They should know that without her. Stay out of prison? They should know that without her.

My idea of a motivational speaker is somebody that should be emulated, not the "repentant sinner". I join the chorus of boos.

So I can fairly assume you folks are also against the program where people who are involved in drunk driving fatalities speak to high school students about the evils of drinking and driving. Or Michael Vick helping out at animal shelters.
            In a word, yes.

Let me add. If Vick cleans the cages anonymously without pay, that's fine. A photo-op is hypocrisy.
            What is the point of a drunken driver talking to the kids, exactly?
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              Marlow's point is that in his opinion ( and many others) she has never stopped telling lies, and only partially fessed up when she had no choice. Her tale on Oprah was ludicrous. A truly repentant drunk driver has in effect come completely clean and feels genuine remorse. Marion continues to lie as much as she can and IMO ( and Marlow's it appears) is only sorry she got caught, nothing more.
              Well said - I agree with all including that last thought. I do NOT enjoy kicking people when they're down, but I also don't like being played either. She is still 'playing' the remorse for the crime IMO. She is, however, genuinely sorry she got caught.

Comment

Saving lives.

Take it from someone who works with teenage kids every day. This type of first person testimony makes a huge impact.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  Well said - I agree with all including that last thought. I do NOT enjoy kicking people when they're down, but I also don't like being played either. She is still 'playing' the remorse for the crime IMO. She is, however, genuinely sorry she got caught.
                  Amen! Shouldn't forgiveness always be preceded by genuine contrition?

Comment

How do you determine whether or not a person is really being genuine?

Comment

I dunno, is it worse to have a speaker that is a cheater who got caught, or a cheater who didn't get caught?

We've been through periods when a large percentage of the top athletes were doing something that was banned and they knew how to get away with it. Anytime you have an athlete or former athlete speak, you never know with 100% certainty that they are/were clean.

I get the point that some are making, that she doesn't seem sorry she did it, just sorry she got caught. But I'd still go to hear her speak if I lived around there.

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
                        How do you determine whether or not a person is really being genuine?
                        Genuinely remorseful people don't lie in their confessions which is what Marion Jones did. I suppose that someone who is not a sports fan in general, or a track and field fan in particular, might believe her cock-and-bull story, but if you're posting on this board, then you've probably followed track and field closely enough over that last 10-15 years to find her story implausible.

Comment

if you're posting on this board, then you've probably followed track and field closely enough over that last 10-15 years to find her story implausible.
                          She's speaking as forcefully and confidently about her remorse now, as she once did about how clean she was and 'awful' it was that other athletes were dirty! :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by guru

Saving lives.

Take it from someone who works with teenage kids every day. This type of first person testimony makes a huge impact.
                            What if the "drunk driver" was suspected of driving drunk for years and years and was driving drunk and lying about it for years and years, Then the drunk driver gets caught, tells more lies and now wants the priviledge of speaking to kids about drunk driving with most likely more lies.

Having said all this we havent seen her speak, maybe she's incredibly moving?
                            phsstt!

Comment

Let me ask you as well, you ever did anything wrong, ever have a second chance in life in anything? I know you're perfect and I see why you feel the way you do, I don't agree with it, but since you're perfect again I do see it.
                              It's not about sinning Speed. It's about differentiating between the remorseful sinner and the remorseless sinner, but I already know from a previous thread that your purblindness prevents you from understanding the significance of that distinction.
                              Where did I mention sinning? I said very clearly ever do something wrong, point blank. You all can sit back and state what you will, obviously Marion is still relevant why is she even being discussed or better yet, why do y'all care?

Jazz speaking of preconcieved, you have determined Marion isn't remorseful, do you truly know that? I understand the distinction, trust I do. Because I don't agree with your view, don't tell me what I don't understand.

Marion is doing the speaking despite the judgemental positions those opposing her you included have taken. You're entitled to your position, just like me.
                              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                                I know you're perfect and I see why you feel the way you do, I don't agree with it, but since you're perfect again I do see it.
                                If you don't understand, just admit it. Your low-road approach isn't helping your cause.

If I am a nationally infamous pathological liar, which, of course, she is - remember that in her book, she wrote - in large red letters,

"I never cheated."

I should not be invited to address kids.
                                Has nothing to do with low road approach, very simply we All have made mistakes. So again Mr Marlow do you know for a FACT, she isn't contrite?

I understand perfectly, others have decided to give Marion a 2nd chance,even if you haven't. What exactly is it I'm suppose to admit to, not taking your position on this, don't think so.

P.S. Mr Marlow....I don't hear you crying out injustice regarding all the honest, forthright folks in government. All the speeches they make, all the influence they swing. I get it, you know they're contrite.

Let me get this straight as well, for the folks that you don't know the skeletons in their closet, and they're speaking to kids, what about them?
                                on the road

Comment

Working...
                                X