Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by Pego
    What is the point of a drunken driver talking to the kids, exactly?

Saving lives.

Take it from someone who works with teenage kids every day. This type of first person testimony makes a huge impact.
    It may have a big impression at the time of the speech. Whether it modifies their future behaviour, I have my doubts about.

BTW, is this guy paid for his "motivational" tour? I hate to be a cynic, but suspicion of a "sleaze factor" is high. The same goes for Marion. Is she being paid for her scheduled appearance?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
      Jazz speaking of preconcieved, you have determined Marion isn't remorseful, do you truly know that? I understand the distinction, trust I do. Because I don't agree with your view, don't tell me what I don't understand.
      Yes, I know for a fact that Marion isn't remorseful. You've already proved that you don't understand the distinction on the other MJ thread. Or perhaps your evasiveness is proof that you do understand the distinction, but won't admit to it since your whole Marion defense would fall apart if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        Jazz speaking of preconcieved, you have determined Marion isn't remorseful, do you truly know that? I understand the distinction, trust I do. Because I don't agree with your view, don't tell me what I don't understand.
        Yes, I know for a fact that Marion isn't remorseful. You've already proved that you don't understand the distinction on the other MJ thread. Or perhaps your evasiveness is proof that you do understand the distinction, but won't admit to it since your whole Marion defense would fall apart if you did.
        It seems to me the trust of speeds defense is that you, Jazz have made mistakes. For the life of me i cant understand why thats considered to be persuasive.
        phsstt!

Comment

Prove how you know. Again Marion is speaking despite your opposition. Again I understand, and once again because we don't share the same position, you have taken the position I don't understand, funny.

You say my whole defense, no defense here. Once again Marion is speaking, you're speaking of defense because you're on the offense (opposing her).

Do you know what Marion has said to folks in private? Do you know what is in her heart? You have taken my comments out of context in this thread, you have associated my stating make mistakes (wrongs) with sin. I qualified sin in the other MJ thread YOU referrenced. Jazz you ever have 2nd chances in life? Any?
          on the road

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Jazz has made mistakes.
            Squackee, you do realise that we have done this before? You're not expecting a different outcome are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              Jazz has made mistakes.
              Squackee, you do realise that we have done this before? You're not expecting a different outcome are you?
              See that's the problem expectations. Folks have stated you don't, can't admit it why does it have to be where someone or something has to change? If you expouse to whatever it is you do, stand your ground.

Daisy is this thread subject to your standards, do we have to adhere to your guidelines?
              on the road

Comment

Jazz speaking of preconcieved, you have determined Marion isn't remorseful, do you truly know that?
                Yes, I know for a fact that Marion isn't remorseful.
                Prove how you know.
                The truly remorseful do not lie in their confessions. End of story.

Comment

Jazz speaking of preconcieved, you have determined Marion isn't remorseful, do you truly know that?
                  Yes, I know for a fact that Marion isn't remorseful.
                  Prove how you know.
                  The truly remorseful do not lie in their confessions. End of story.
                  What exactly is truly remorseful? Are you suggesting Marion is somewhat remorseful? What confessions are you referring to? You heard all of her confessions? Are you with her when she's on her knees? Jazz would you like to air out any or all of your indiscretions, right here, right now, oh I forget, you haven't made any mistakes, you haven't done anything wrong in life, there for you don't warrant a 2nd chance.

You know what this is a moot point, again Marion is going forward with her life, has been given that 2nd chance, imagine that. When will you be at her next speaking engagement with your picket sign, shouting off with her head?
                  on the road

Comment

Speedfirst - I assume you watched her interview with Oprah. I'm interested in hearing what your impression of Marion was during that interview, and immediately afterwards.

What were your feelings regarding her candor at that time? Did you believe her story, as she told it that day?

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                      Speedfirst - I assume you watched her interview with Oprah. I'm interested in hearing what your impression of Marion was during that interview, and immediately afterwards.

What were your feelings regarding her candor at that time? Did you believe her story, as she told it that day?
                      I actually brought up the Oprah interview on the other thread that was locked. To be very honest with you, I was somewhat skeptical, but you see it goes beyond that for me. I know I have done wrong in my life and have been given 2nd, 3rd 4th, etc, chances.

When a person (Marion) included does wrong ( mistakes) that is now a lifetime sentence. So again for all who have made/make mistakes and were afforded a 2nd chance, maybe you can identify with this scenario. If you haven;t done wrong and as a result no need for a 2nd chance, you're a very rare breed and are KING OF THE WORLD..........and all should bow at your royal feet.
                      on the road

Comment

Let me state i have never, ever done anything wrong in my entire life and that is why i can judge other people. The rest of you are fucked.
                        phsstt!

Comment

To be very honest with you, I was somewhat skeptical, but you see it goes beyond that for me. I know I have done wrong in my life and have been given 2nd, 3rd 4th, etc, chances.

When a person (Marion) included does wrong ( mistakes) that is now a lifetime sentence. So again for all who have make mistakes and were afforded a 2nd chance, maybe you can identify with this scenario. If you haven;t done wrong and as a result no need for a 2nd chance, you're a very rare breed.
                          I think we all agree that everyone deserves a second chance when they show true and believable contrition and remorse. To me, Marion Jones had what was probably a fiftieth chance to show such remorse on Oprah, but she made the premeditated decision to keep perpetuating her lies. This showed me that she does not have true remorse in her heart and that she is one of those quite rare people who are pathological liars.

Would I chose such a person to speak to young athletes as an example of how not to live ones life? No, I wouldn't. Would I be happy with someone such as Kelli White, who did show remorse at her decision to cheat? Yes, absolutely.

Edit: You edited the post I was replying to while I was typing. I'll leave your original here.

Comment

I'm with Squack, Marlow and Jazz on this one. The only thing Marion is sorry about is the fact that she got caught. She had the audacity to publish a book stating that she never took performance-enhancing drugs, threatened to sue Victor Conte for $25 million after he said she used the clear, and only admitted to using drugs in order to save her butt from a longer jail term in a check-counterfeiting scheme! She then tried to act like some sort of victim with the whole "flaxseed oil" story.

When Marion comes clean about ALL of her drug use, especially about what she was on in 1997-1999 when she was running her FASTEST times, I'll pay to hear it and will be happy to know that she is speaking to kids about it. Right now, Ben Johnson would be a better person to fill in for her.

Comment

marknhj.....So you can say because you saw Marion on Oprah she isn't contrite. Marion's life consist of the Oprah interview and you're holding her to that, wow. Also who determines how many chances people get?

I'm glad the folks who are more forgiving, have decided to give her a 2nd chance and she moves on with her life. If you were in a burning car and Marion was the only one to save you, what would you do? Or if your child was in that burning car and Marion was the only person, would you want Marion to save her? I know y'all think Marion is a leper and whoever comes in contact with her it will rub off on them.
                              on the road

Comment

If you haven;t done wrong and as a result no need for a 2nd chance, you're a very rare breed and are KING OF THE WORLD..........and all should bow at your royal feet.
                                All of us here are ALL ABOUT second chances! That is not the issue. [and your continued sarcastic remarks on how all of us feel as if we're perfect certainly debases this discussion]

What we're talking about is giving a pathological liar a media platform and the chance to shape young minds. Marion deserves a second chance, but THIS situation is NOT the appropriate one. Picking up trash on roadsides for 4 hours every day to fulfill her commserv requirement - THAT is an appropriate venue for her to seek absolution. We don't ask pedophiles to go visit elementary schools to give students the 'stay away from strangers' message. We also don't need to give unrepentant (so far . . . IMO) drug cheats a microphone to talk to kids either.

Comment

Working...
                                X