Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People you'd like to meet...

I'd like to meet the Beijing Tankman, the lone man who briefly faced down that column of tanks 20 years ago. What was he thinking and what became of him? Here is a link to a different view of the event and a story about the photo.
    http://pomona.edu/Magazine/PCMFL09/FStankman.shtml

Besides the most obvious historic figure (JHC), I'd really, really like to have had an afternoon's conversation with Emily Dickinson (assuming I could get her to talk with me). Alive person: Steven Hawking.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Besides the most obvious historic figure (JHC), I'd really, really like to have had an afternoon's conversation with Emily Dickinson (assuming I could get her to talk with me).
      I'm guessing you could have at least met her online...She apparently, as I'm sure you know, had agoraphobia...Perhaps you could have been one of nature's people...

Several of nature's people
      I know, and they know me;
      I feel for them a transport
      Of cordiality

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
        Perhaps you could have been one of nature's people...
        Of cordiality
        That's actually one of the nicest thoughts I've heard in a while!

Comment

I've been all around this crazy world but ive never been to me.

Seriously, No matter where you are , agnostic, believer or athiest, J.C. is the guy i have to meet. I have a lot of great questions, a million of them.

Leonardo is next. Albert. And Adolf, i'd like to try and take him apart.
          phsstt!

Comment

I would like to bring someone really smart, such as Benjamin Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson, through a Time Machine, bringing them to the present, so they could see our technological advances in the mere time period of 200 years, and see how they would fathom and react to it.

Comment

I would like to meet SQUACKEE.

As long as I have heavy security.

He might be as crazy as he seems!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                I would like to meet SQUACKEE.

As long as I have heavy security.

He might be as crazy as he seems!
                I would love to meet you and it's gonna happen as long as i can get out of this straight jacket. If i cant, could you bring some Ritz crackers and sharp aged Canadian cheddar cheese when you visit?
                phsstt!

Comment

You know, I've never been into autographs and meeting famous people. I like who I'm around on a normal day, so I'm cool with randomness. Now if Serena Williams randomly walks into the station I'd be a school boy or if Marcus Allen, Eddie Murray or Mark Price walked in I'd be a goofy fan-type, but I don't seek that stuff out.

Actually there are some people from message boards I'd like to meet/have met because I consider them friends. I find that different. I met and lifted weights with the vocalist of one of my favorite Thrash bands last year while in Albuquerquere. That was pretty cool.
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by 2 cents
                    Perhaps you could have been one of nature's people...
                    Of cordiality
                    That's actually one of the nicest thoughts I've heard in a while!
                    That could be cuz you hang around here too much.

Comment

Emil Zatopek is unfortunately dead, so he's out.

I doubt an evening with Malcolm Gladwell would be dull. On the other hand, an evening with Keith Richards would be far too exciting.

I posed this question to my students, and the overwhelming response was "President Obama". I'm with them.

Comment

Living -- I guess Billy Graham would be the one "famous" person I haven't met who would be interesting to talk with.

Past -- beside the obvious (Jesus), I would love to have dinner with Sir Christopher Wren, Leonardo da Vinci and George Washington Carver.

Comment

Voltaire
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

This does bring up a point. I would contend that it might be disappointing to meet many of these people. For example, I am sure a few of you would like to meet me. However, there is always the possibility that I wouldn't be as charming in person....
                            Pego, I agree with you on Voltaire, but only if you, gm, and Billy Graham are also there...with gh moderating...."It's free speech day"...I just want to be a fly on the wall....

Comment

I've always thought a dinner with Hitler and Churchill would be awesome (and no, this isn't mention-Hitler-and-kill-the-thread post!).

Comment

Working...
                              X