Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

OK, I'm an admitted Coin Nut ( aka Numismatist) so here goes.....

Every effort of our government to make a $ 1 coin a success has met with incredible failure... as the Powers At Be do not have the political courage to do the only thing needed.... STOP printing $ 1 bills ! It's estimated that having 1 dollar coins instead of 1 dollar bills would SAVE BETWEEN 500 MILLION and ONE BILLION DOLLARS ANNUALLY . Canada did it ( and even now has the "Toonie" as well as the " Loonie") , why can't we ? And most other countries also now have a coin for the same approximate purchasing power as $ 1 rather than a paper bill.

What does the Learned Electorate here think ?

Re: USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

Coin (not a voter though)

Comment

Not a fan of carrying coins.

Comment

Paper. Forever. Hate coins. Hate hate hate.

Comment

Mixed emotions. When silver dollars were in vogue, a dollar would buy something. Now you would have to have re-inforced pockets if you happened to have a run of dollars.
          I guess I am bi-monetary.

Comment

I'm fine with coins... It probably helps to have had experience in countries that do have the equivalent of $1 and $2 coins... It is truly amazing that I NEVER see a dollar coin in "normal" circulation.

Comment

As with the metric system, we're in a minority here, and I'd be very happy to see us switch to $1 and $2 coins. A lot easier to deal with, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                Paper. Forever. Hate coins. Hate hate hate.
                Interestingly enough, I'm dichotomous here. When at home I never carry any coins at all. Indeed detest them.

But when I'm travelling in Europe, I've always got a huge pocketfull; just seems the natural thing to do.

ps--I hate paper too. Plastic. Forever!

Comment

Oh yeah, while they're at it, they should stop making pennies as well. Talk about horrific waste. (last time I looked, it costs more than a penny to make one these days)

Comment

I really like the 1 and 2 quid coins in the UK.

Will never work here until they trash the dollar bill. And ditto on the pennies.

Comment

With local parking meters costing a quarter every 7.5 minutes (parking meters being the only thing I every use coins for) I'd say kill the nickles and dimes along with the pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Oh yeah, while they're at it, they should stop making pennies as well. Talk about horrific waste. (last time I looked, it costs more than a penny to make one these days)
                        Actually, I wouldn't care if they rounded to the nearest $0.25. The quarter is the only coin I can stand.

Comment

The stamp machines in post offices used to give out dollar coins as change, but they are being phased out in favor of the APC machine (which only uses credit/debit cards).

Comment

About 10 years ago I went into the PO to buy some stamps from the machine. It was after hours and all I had was a 20, and it was a bill that had to be postmarked, so I put a 20 into the machine and bought like a dollar's worth of stamps.

It sounded like Vegas as it ka-chinged out 19 Susan B. Anthonys. When I saw what a mess it was going to be to pack those off I decided I'd just buy a ton more stamps. Except...... the machine didn't accept dollar coins!!!!

I drove my bartender nuts for a couple of weeks always tipping him with silver dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                              The stamp machines in post offices used to give out dollar coins as change, but they are being phased out in favor of the APC machine (which only uses credit/debit cards).
                              Very true, and they were the ONLY place you saw/received dollar coins. But those new machines are very user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                              X